Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Official Thread)

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You watched a different movie. You went in there with your insecurities on max, ready to find things to criticize.

The Asian broad was smarter than him yet when they were talking about trackers they were saying the same thing at the same time and arrived at the same conclusion showing they BOTH knew what they were talking about :gucci:

Finn didn’t discuss strategy? So the whole let’s break into the First Order’s ship scene didn’t happen? The whole we need to go get the Codebreaker scene didn’t happen? Was this dude not on the front line throughout the movie or in your weirdo mind was he in the movie cowering for the whole 3 hours. Phasma was ready to kill him? He held his own against her in combat. He fell. He came back up without her knowing and landed a blow. We’ve seen this sorta scene 1,000 times in film where the character falls to his death than comes back up and wins but it’s racism when the black kid does it :gucci:

He didn’t know anything about the First Order yet he knew exactly where the tracking device was on the ship :gucci: He knew that they changed passwords every hour without fail :gucci: And he knew that it was only one ship doing the tracking. But he didn’t know anything or provide any useful detail. And he has no skill with weapons despite fighting Phasma for a good 3 minutes. What movie are you watching :gucci:
He's rebel scum

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
And none of that was explained in the OG trilogy, yet people had no problem with it. All you knew is that the Emperor was some old guy in charge, end of story.

Who Snoke is is irrelevant to this portion of the story just as who the Emperor really was, is irrelevant to the OG trilogy. Snoke backstory is something that can be explained in another story that takes place between 6 and 7.

The emperor worked because we had no backstory.

For Snoke we now KNOW what happened before the First Order rose. So his role becomes weird, knowing what the universe was like when the Empire was in charge.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It does when you consider it's Episode 8 in a saga, not a stand alone movie. It becomes a detriment to the established lore. You can break tradition without disregarding the mythos.

I'm not saying it effects the quality of this as a movie, but it effects the quality of it fitting into the whole saga. The movie works without it, but it becomes more difficult when you try to relate it to the other Episodes.

See I disagree with that tho. It’s a detriment if you were told this is what’s going to happen and it doesn’t. The mythos is you can’t have just one sith. Where there’s one there is another. We had that. The mythos never said you have to explain where that Sith Lord got their powers from. That’s the decision of the storyteller and what fits for their story. And if the point of the trilogy so far, at least after this movie, is to break the past and move on, Snoke’s story is inconsequential. He’s a manipulator and the guy holding the puppet strings. Even with Palpatine, like you pointed out, it took 16 years to get his backstory.

And if the prequels never happened we may have never known outside of whatever books or comics were written about him. So even then, in that context of three movies from 77-83, that was the mythos and that was the tradition. Palpatine wasn’t important to that story at least not enough for Lucas and his writers and directors to give us more info on him in return of the Jedi. He spent most of the movie being evil and monologuing and being a dikk and then he wasn’t literally thrown in the bushes. That was it. And as far as anyone knew that ass all there was going to be.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM

For Snoke we now KNOW what happened before the First Order rose. So his role becomes weird, knowing what the universe was like when the Empire was in charge.

Luke established that you can cut yourself off from the force and become undetectable. Snoke could have been a powerful Sith who cut himself from the force to remain undetected until after the Emporer died and then he took over what remained. Easy explanation that works within established canon and has no bearing on the CURRENT story.

Hell, episode 4 shows that the empire didn't find all the force users, hello Obi Wan.

I understand people want EVERYTHING explained but please don't confuse a want for a need when it comes to a story.

Last edited:

Soymuscle Mike

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
See I disagree with that tho. It’s a detriment if you were told this is what’s going to happen and it doesn’t. The mythos is you can’t have just one sith. Where there’s one there is another. We had that. The mythos never said you have to explain where that Sith Lord got their powers from. That’s the decision of the storyteller and what fits for their story. And if the point of the trilogy so far, at least after this movie, is to break the past and move on, Snoke’s story is inconsequential. He’s a manipulator and the guy holding the puppet strings. Even with Palpatine, like you pointed out, it took 16 years to get his backstory.

And if the prequels never happened we may have never known outside of whatever books or comics were written about him. So even then, in that context of three movies from 77-83, that was the mythos and that was the tradition. Palpatine wasn’t important to that story at least not enough for Lucas and his writers and directors to give us more info on him in return of the Jedi. He spent most of the movie being evil and monologuing and being a dikk and then he wasn’t literally thrown in the bushes. That was it. And as far as anyone knew that ass all there was going to be.

But that worked exactly because there was no backstory. The story existed in a vacuum.

Episode 8 doesn't.

This is an assumption of course as episode 9 might still explain where he came from. Or there will be a stand alone movie. Not explaining it will not work for me :yeshrug:

Soymuscle Mike

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Luke established that you can cut yourself off from the force and become undetectable. Snoke could have been a powerful Sith who cut himself from the force to remain undetected until after the Emporer died and then he took over what remained. Easy explanation that works within established canon and has no bearing on the CURRENT story.

I think the canon is that he's no Sith. Rule of two and all + Anakin fulfilled the prophecy and ended the Sith lineage.

He could've been a force user indeed, the cartoons have shown multiple beings who existed outside of the Jedi/Sith realm.

That would also be a fine explanation....of we ever get it. Not addressing it will not work for me :yeshrug:

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
You guys are conflating an effort to be diverse and get away from all white males with poor movie making. The reason this movie sucked has nothing to do with the amount of women, fat people, or animals. It's just a bad movie. When movies with white males are done poorly no one ever brings up race or gender. Talk about an agenda, that's classic brainwashing. They got you viewing white males as normal and everything else is wrong and a part of some agenda. fukking matrix up in here.

You're the second person to make it about race. This isn't about race, this is about gender.

Yes we all agree that the movie would have been terrible regardless if there were more male characters fighting for the resistance.

Imagine a sports movie where the cheerleaders for the Dallas Cowboys, coached by Bettie White, beat the actual Dallas Cowboys in a football game. Imagine the film played it completely straight without even the slightest hint of irony. It would take you completely out of the movie.

Yes Star Wars is a fantasy film and it's escapism, but fantasy is also informed by reality. The rebels in the OG films were mostly men. Not because there was an agenda against women, but because we associate armies with male bodies. That is reality.

When you see a battalion made up of 80% women, and the people in command are all women, and the only significant male resistance fighter is portrayed as a thoughtless hothead who needed to be taught the true value of leadership by a bunch of women... it is blatant pandering at the expense of reality and plausibility. Disney wants to send the message that girls can be leaders and soliders too, which is great, but lets be honest you are never going to see the day where that is the standard.

And it definitely isn't the standard now, which is why those scenes rang incredibly false for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Breh Obama

First Breh President. Coli Prophet.
Daps
Reppin
Leader of the righteous Brehs!
I don’t think it’s a fair criticism because the movie never promised you that would happen. As a viewer you expected it because of tradition but traditions are often broken. I’m not saying I don’t see how someone would want more exploration of him but I don’t see that as a detriment of the movie that it didn’t do what it never said it would do
This is literally why 90% of nikkas on here are bytching and complaining. They're all just mad cause their theories or what they wanted to happen didn't. Get the fukk over it
:dame:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
But that worked exactly because there was no backstory. The story existed in a vacuum.

Episode 8 doesn't.

This is an assumption of course as episode 9 might still explain where he came from. Or there will be a stand alone movie. Not explaining it will not work for me :yeshrug:

But again I’m saying the precedent has been set. Why assume it would do something that probably isn’t necessary

Breh Obama

First Breh President. Coli Prophet.
Daps
Reppin
Leader of the righteous Brehs!

There's no explanation needed. Snoke saw an opportunity to take over and did. There that's all the backstory that's needed. Stop bytching people. Everything doesn't need to be fukking spelled out. When A New Hope first came out the Emperor and Darth Vader were already in power without any context at all

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
I like how they showed the force users one-upping each other.

- Snoke creates the bond between Kylo and Rey because he can see into Kylo's mind.
- Kylo uses this and flips it on him, killing Snoke.
- Luke then tricks Kylo from a galaxy away and pulls off the biggest Jedi mind trick yet not just on Kylo, but everyone in that battle.

Yoda pulling a Storm was ill too. Makes you wonder how powerful beings who became one with the force really are.

What hurts this, still, is that Rey still matches Kylo in their faceoff. Y'all said, and Snoke confirmed, it was because of Chewie's blast and killing Han, but why is she his equal now?

Come on that was retarded. :stopitslime:

If Yoda's ghost could do all that then why didn't he help Luke during his battle with Vader & The Emperor?

Could have used the help.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
There's no explanation needed. Snoke saw an opportunity to take over and did. There that's all the backstory that's needed. Stop bytching people. Everything doesn't need to be fukking spelled out. When A New Hope first came out the Emperor and Darth Vader were already in power without any context at all

Not saying @Soymuscle Mike is the type but one of the worst things in fandom these days is the need to explain every damn thing and the need to have an explanation for every damn thing. It’s not a sci-fi movie but it’s the same with Halloween. Rob zombie and others have felt it was needed to explain Michael Myers. Explain his backstory give him more depth explain why the mask and why that specific mask and why does he kill etc. And none of it was needed lol. None of it. He’s a monster he’s the boogie man. I don’t need to know why the boogie man is out to get me I just need to know he’s out to get me. Explaining too much takes away mystique and sometimes makes the interesting less so

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Come on that was retarded. :stopitslime:

If Yoda's ghost could do all that then why didn't he help Luke during his battle with Vader & The Emperor?

Could have used the help.

Yeah there are moments like that that don’t stack up. It’s dope in the moment but lol why? Like why doesn’t Kylo notice something is off with Luke when he’s using a lightsaber that he and ray just destroyed :russ:

Doesn’t take away from the overall for me but it’s little details that feel looked over