Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Folks don't want just a black lead. They want a black lead with a good to great showing. Just being there isn't enough.

If you or others felt Finn's portrayal was good, that's fine. I'm not here to change people's minds.
his response was basically this from the article just posted
The White filmmakers have the noblesse oblige to say to Black critics, ”Hey, be glad that we even cast a Black in this film,” and Black loyal fans can say, ”Thank you for casting one of us,” by their ticket purchases, glowing reviews and repeat viewings.

even if you ignore the completely misdirected marketing and advertising that @Ziggiy pointed out that people continue to ignore because it doesnt meet their agenda, finn's character (while well acted) falls into many of the common sterotypical black character tropes we've become accustomed to seeing and hoped not to see from a "lead" in this franchise. he's comic relief, his failures are used to build up his counterparts, and we are left to hope/assume that he shows character growth in the next film while the other two leads have it pretty much defined that they've accomplished major successes in their growth at the conclusion of the first movie

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
So your saying he didn't command the amount of screen time that the marketing suggested? Are you saying that he wasn't a hero in the film?

its not about the amount of screen time in this case, it's what he does (or doesn't) that people don't like. Many thought he would be the star of the movie based on the promos (wielding the light saber etc). Hence the initial dissapointment. Then there's the stuff in the movie itself.

Finn, a hero? Ehhhh, leaning towards nah.

If you feel he was, that's fine. As I said in a previous post, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Boyega's performance was fantastic, you can complain all day that Finn wasn't what you wanted that character to be but it's irrelevant because that's how the writers wrote that character, should they change how they wrote a character because a black actor ends up with the role? Why? To completely scrap character development and make Finn an ultra badass hyper masculine heroic p*ssy slaying machine?

For the record, I never complained about Boyega's performence. He did a good job with what he had.

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami
Well I wouldn't say she helped no one but damn sure didn't help more people than Finn. Which is why he was the star of the film and drove the plot forward.

And for all of this he gets called the C-3po on the coli:francis:
Finn was basicly Tony Stark in the star wars movie, he moved the plot from beginning to end and had chemistry with every character in the movie.

And why are some still on that sanitation line?:rudy:

It was meant as joke for the film. Y'all forgot he was part of the first elite ground troops led by Ren and Phasma in beginning of the movie.

And in the novel Finn was supreme in his training and almost perfect shooting range that he was being praise as the ideal strom trooper by Phasma and General Hux.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
:heh: Like that would happen in the first movie alone?!?!

I think Finn will be tied into the whole jedi thing but they're keeping it a secret of sorts I mean even if he's force sensitive or not you gotta admit he came up against a sith apprentice and lived (barely) :mjlol:

So much hate...

So what he worked Sanitation as a stormtrooper.... :heh:

I think his motivations and resentments for abandoning the first order is more solid than shown in the movie, he was stolen from his family, trained and "Indoctrinated" to kill... I would be vengeful after that.

Plus his mind resisted "conditioning" Maybe he's force adept and doesnt know it?!?:ld: and even if he isnt he's gonna be a great character to have, he's not worse than jar jar binks or insufferable like young anakin. :pachaha: let the breh cook...

You know the jedi shyt is coming..:jawalrus:
snoop.gif

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
They wrote the script already?

:francis:

Moviegoers around the globe are finally getting a chance to see J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but well before Disney released the movie in theaters they were busy planning the franchise’s future. As crazy as it sounds, fans are only a year and a half away from Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is scheduled to hit theaters in May 2017.

Johnson has already filmed certain sequences in Ireland, and principal photography will commence in the near future. Because of that, it shouldn’t come as any surprise that Star Wars 8 cast members have read the sequel’s screenplay. And according to star Daisy Ridley, the goodwill generated by The Force Awakens‘ positive reception will continue in the next movie.

Speaking with Variety, the actress offered her thoughts on the Episode VIII script, which was written solely by Johnson.

Daisy Ridley Praises Star Wars 8 Script

:yeshrug::francis:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Moviegoers around the globe are finally getting a chance to see J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but well before Disney released the movie in theaters they were busy planning the franchise’s future. As crazy as it sounds, fans are only a year and a half away from Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is scheduled to hit theaters in May 2017.

Johnson has already filmed certain sequences in Ireland, and principal photography will commence in the near future. Because of that, it shouldn’t come as any surprise that Star Wars 8 cast members have read the sequel’s screenplay. And according to star Daisy Ridley, the goodwill generated by The Force Awakens‘ positive reception will continue in the next movie.

Speaking with Variety, the actress offered her thoughts on the Episode VIII script, which was written solely by Johnson.

Daisy Ridley Praises Star Wars 8 Script

:yeshrug::francis:

:martin:

Yea, I'll wait and see on that one.

Last edited:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Finn was basicly Tony Stark in the star wars movie, he moved the plot from beginning to end and had chemistry with every character in the movie.

And why are some still on that sanitation line?:rudy:

It was meant as joke for the film. Y'all forgot he was part of the first elite ground troops led by Ren and Phasma in beginning of the movie.

And in the novel Finn was supreme in his training and almost perfect shooting range that he was being praise as the ideal strom trooper by Phasma and General Hux.
he was tony stark....except he was unconscious at the end of the film. you'd be hard pressed to find many films were the hero isnt even conscious at the conclusion to take in their victory. again, @Ziggiy pointed out in a long ass post about the basics of character writing, if anything that fight with ren was supposed to be his characters culmination going from coward space garbageman to hero up against the odds that over comes his fears of the first order by at minimum having a draw and/or remaining conscious to realize what he just accomplished

and on the garbage man line, its the other side that is up in arms and has been denying his status as a trash man even though it was explicitly stated and falls in line of his character up to that point [being a liar (lied about being in resistance), and being a simp (stated that he had no plan on the star killer he was just coming for rey {which it seems a large portion of his characterization is dependent on in the first film} ) ]

the novel means nothing to me and the majority of the fans because none of this supreme training was stated or even hinted at in the film and millions of people have not and will not be reading these novels. finns character is what he is portrayed as in the film, a deserter with limited skills. thats like me saying chewy is gay because its in the novel when thats never talked about at all or hinted at in 7 films (but its canon! :troll: )

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
So you just didn't like the character at all? It just seems mad ridiculous to me to hate a character over his fictional background...boyega was a highlight of the film to me

I don't hate the character, or his fictional background. Just didn't like his overall portrayal.

If you did, that's cool. :yeshrug:

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Sanitation.

Unforgivable.

I don't give a fukk. These movies have a world-wide cultural impact....they did everything they could to boost womens rights, but didn't have the foresight not to call the only black character a garbage-man.

As far as being important to the story...time will tell. As of now, he has no force sensitivity, no ability to fly, no falcon, no droid, his jacket comes from another fukking character...the same character who also NAMED him, he's not taken seriously by anybody....and he's in a fukking coma.

Oh and the main girl that he had chemistry with, leaves him in the medical bay to go start the actually important storyline.

IQmaJL3.jpg

I'm tellin' y'all...Finn is the PIPPIN of this universe. An emasculated sad-sack comedy relief sidekick type. His story *is* going to be frustrating for anyone who has black-interests in mind.

I'm very concerned about what Marvel does with BP. After SW, it seems like we were all foolish to believe that Disney would actually place a prominent, respectable black character at the forefront of one of their movies. At this point...I can almost *guarantee* that BP will have *some* major caveat. It might be subtle, it might be hand-waved, it might not be apparent to those that only skim through movies...but it'll be there. There will be *something* that takes away from either his character or his kingdom.
My thoughts exactly, the worst thing was he didnt redeem himself at the end against Kylo. Abrams didnt allow him to wake up and strike the final blow against him, he just let him sleep and let the love of his life just go off to her next adventure.

Im thinking like what was the purpose of his character in the first place?? What does he bring to the table other then intel from the enemy? He has no skillset except for handling a blaster. Nothing mechanical, no pilot skills, nothing out of the ordinary, no extradordinary background, and no possibly no family ties to the other characters.

And his character chased that girl throughout the movie and got friendzoned in the end. That got most of the virgin, racist nerds in such relief, thst he is no threat to their women. That was their primary fear all the long, and why they are silent after the film came out.

Ps: they never allowed him to lead. He was always behind someone, look at all the screenshots. He's always following Rey and hes always shown behind her. Thats intentional.