Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just found out that this is the only Star Wars JJ signed on to do now everything makes perfect sense

He said fukk taking any chances. He basically made a 2 hr Star Wars commercial, where it feels like Star Wars at some point but nothing sticks

He made a flawless heroine for feminists who didn't face danger once in the movie, so that they wouldn't be offended

He lured black people in with a bait and switch hero

This was a lick for JJ, that's why he just remade ANH to hedge his bets

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why does every new character have to be the "new Luke" or the "new Han"? Why can't we just let them be Finn and Rey? I swear the way that some of yall are holding on to the past is ruining the movie and saga for you guys. Just shut the entire fukk up and enjoy this shyt dammit!
Because this movie is a blatant rehash of the first movie

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
So the argument here is the exact same one on TLR, huh? What's interesting is ya'll misguided militants are so concerned with the race angle nobody's discussing how this movie is basically a feminists ideal movie. Got a 110lb girl fighting with lightsabers and being the next Jedi

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Just found out that this is the only Star Wars JJ signed on to do now everything makes perfect sense

He said fukk taking any chances. He basically made a 2 hr Star Wars commercial, where it feels like Star Wars at some point but nothing sticks

He made a flawless heroine for feminists who didn't face danger once in the movie, so that they wouldn't be offended

He lured black people in with a bait and switch hero

This was a lick for JJ, that's why he just remade ANH to hedge his bets
I actually think he's the new kevin feige of star wars going forward

Groot

Guarding the Galaxy
Daps
Reppin
Planet X
Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-John-Boyega.jpg

1_parallels_logo_RGB.jpg

latest

:mannygroot:

I am Groot?????

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
So the argument here is the exact same one on TLR, huh? What's interesting is ya'll misguided militants are so concerned with the race angle nobody's discussing how this movie is basically a feminists ideal movie. Got a 110lb girl fighting with lightsabers and being the next Jedi
You realize there were female Jedi before rey right?

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What about a 40 lb 3000 year old green dude who walks with a cane

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
The militants over in the Locker Room. Why can't they just stay in the Root :francis: They got it into their heads that Finn was portrayed to be a stupid, bumbling, fearful coward that did nothing of importance in the movie while he c00n'd and tapdanced for a white chick that didn't return his advances. The amount of delusion you have to have to watch that movie and come away with those viewpoints is astounding.

Tag nikkas and stop being a passive aggressive bytch. fukk you and bass-mouth Finn.:pacspit:

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
Kinda surprised people have a problem with Rey being the "chosen one" type character in this new trilogy. I agree things shouldn't have been so easy for her (shoulda taken at least one L) but I'd rather see her be the hero than yet another generic white dude.

As for Finn, I think he's dope and had his moments. He's not a coward, he's just a regular dude and not really about that warrior life. And he still goes head to head with a sith and does okay. Wouldn't say he's a Han Solo knockoff either, he's quite different personality wise.

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Imagine how Finn would have been if they got Micheal B. Jordan to play him. I guarantee the performance would not have been on Finn being the audience surrogate
I know Boyega is a good actor but they clearly only wanted him to play a type in this movie
Finn could have been way better in this movie a lot of the characters could have been better
Rey is too perfect barely struggles at everything
Finn struggles too much
Poe is barely around

People are right to be critical of the writing because how will it get better if they don't know what needs to be fixed.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Really? "Making it all up?" Let's look at the FACTS

1). One HUGE issue is the racial implications of the CHARACTER. . He was emasculated from the onset to help set up Rey as smart, independent, and fierce.

2). I earlier wrote that my major issues with the character occurred mainly after the first 40 minutes, when Han showed up. I was willing to overlook that Finn's saving of Poe was filmed as selfish because he "needed a pilot" the movie itself even goes out of its way to address this, ok fine, he's scared and seizes his opportunity and happens to do some good by saving Poe in the promise. It still sets the character up as selfish, but if he gets redemption by the end then it can work within his "arc"

"Getting two kills in the first escape"...with ASSISTANCE from Poe. Finn didn't know how to pilot or gun but Poe assisted him, again I can reasonably believe this within the context of the story, no issue with this, he didn't do this unassisted or of his own merit.

On Jakku- When he first meets Rey she beats his ass. He lied to her about being in the resistance (setting him up again, as an opportunistic liar) they got attacked and SHE piloted the Falcon while he had the :why: Face almost the entire time. If you look at the sequence where he shoots the pursuing fighter, again this wasn't done of his own merit, it was because of Rey's piloting and positioning, which AGAIN the movie makes sure to announce. So we're still following the "With a little help from my friends theme". Still I'm willing to go along with this, every supposed HERO starts out with help right?

At Maz's Catina - Correct me if I'm wrong but he gets one kill, and that kill is Finn tripping over himself and stabbing the Storm trooper with the lightsaber, his ACTUAL battle with the second trooper he gets owned and Han has to save him.

The mission to Star-Killer Base- the "rescue" mission where he LIES again about knowing how to shut down the shields? The "rescue" mission where he spends most the time joking and jaw jacking while Han has to tell him to keep it cool? The "rescue" mission where he...doesn't even RESCUE the girl? :wtf: Again while Finn is portrayed as incompetent, bumbling, and comic relief, Rey is composed, resilient, and daring. There was absolutely NOTHING heroic about this sequence.

Confrontation with Kylo Ren- Getting his ass kicked and knocked unconscious while the White girl saves him for the SECOND time in the movie. So again, this is NOT a heroic moment and if you think getting your ass kicked, as the supposed LEAD MALE HERO in this movie was "heroic" then I don't know what to tell you. Dude never got to accomplish ANYTHING by himself in the movie, every "W" you gave him was assisted by someone else.

Rey and Poe, along with Finn are SUPPOSED to be the new leads. They got CLEAR hero moments that weren't reaching and were vital to the development of the AUDIENCE identifying them as heroes.

Hell Rey got TWO Hero moments saving Finn's ass, and a hero moment saving herself.

Poe led the attack that destroyed Star Killer Base

His character, as a Lead, was a blatant emasculation of the Hero's Journey

let's go over the two most important aspects of the Hero's Journey for the uninitiated.

The road of trials is a series of tests that the person must undergo to begin the transformation. Often the person fails one or more of these tests, which often occur in threes.

Campbell: "Once having traversed the threshold, the hero moves in a dream landscape of curiously fluid, ambiguous forms, where he must survive a succession of trials. This is a favorite phase of the myth-adventure. It has produced a world literature of miraculous tests and ordeals. The hero is covertly aided by the advice, amulets, and secret agents of the supernatural helper whom he met before his entrance into this region. Or it may be that he here discovers for the first time that there is a benign power everywhere supporting him in his superhuman passage. The original departure into the land of trials represented only the beginning of the long and really perilous path of initiatory conquests and moments of illumination. Dragons have now to be slain and surprising barriers passed — again, again, and again. Meanwhile there will be a multitude of preliminary victories, unretainable ecstasies and momentary glimpses of the wonderful land

Ok so let's use Finn, our supposed "Male Hero" within this frame. So he goes through his trials, he escapes and runs from the First Order, he lies to Rey and puffs himself up as a big time resistance member. All up until at Maz's Catina he confesses to Rey that he's a coward and not about that fighting life. When The order attacks and he is given the lightsaber to help Rey, he gets his ass kicked and Rey ends up kidnapped. Let's ignore all the sonning he received up until this point (gets his ass kicked by Rey upon their first meeting, gets abused by Chewie, exposes himself as a liar and coward) and say this is first failure.

Secondly, Finn hatches his "plan" (desperate gamble) to "rescue" Rey by lying and going on the mission with Han, let's ignore all of the ridiculous and corny jokes and hamming. Rey saves HERSELF using by using the Force and meeting up with them before he can even find her. So in this second trial, he FAILS.

Thirdly, going by our rule of threes, is the climatic battle with Kylo Ren. Kylo and Finn have a cinematic history going back to the movie's opening, where Finn is aghast at Kylo slaughtering those innocent villagers. This is the man who is the physical embodiment of the evil you've been fleeing, the man who kidnapped the girl you like, killed the man who assisted you, and flung said girl across the forest violently injuring her. THIS is the final test, the test where EVERY HERO OF ALMOST EVERY SCIENCE FICTION MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA finds the "inner strength" to triumph over adversity. It all comes to this moment.

This is the moment when your

You lose...

Moving onto the second most important aspect of the Hero's Journey

The Boon (Reward)

11]

The Ultimate BoonEdit
The ultimate boon is the achievement of the goal of the quest. It is what the person went on the journey to get. All the previous steps serve to prepare and purify the person for this step, since in many myths the boon is something transcendent like the elixir of life itself, or a plant that supplies immortality, or the holy grail.

Campbell: "The gods and goddesses then are to be understood as embodiments and custodians of the elixir of Imperishable Being but not themselves the Ultimate in its primary state. What the hero seeks through his intercourse with them is therefore not finally themselves, but their grace, i.e., the power of their sustaining substance. This miraculous energy-substance and this alone is the Imperishable; the names and forms of the deities who everywhere embody, dispense, and represent it come and go. This is the miraculous energy of the thunderbolts of Zeus, Yahweh, and the Supreme Buddha, the fertility of the rain of Viracocha, the virtue announced by the bell rung in the Mass at the consecration, and the light of the ultimate illumination of the saint and sage. Its guardians dare release it only to the duly proven."

Finn, as the loser, receives ZERO payoff for his efforts, and why should he? HEROES get payoff, redemption, and reward. Rey's payoff for the first chapter is to awaken to her true power and to meet the mystical and Mythical Luke Skywalker and (presumably be trained).

Poe's payoff and reward is to complete his original mission, getting the map to the resistance and leading the attack that destroyed Star Killer.

Finn....is in a Coma...

Won ZERO battles

Given ZERO redemption for being a coward and liar.

So here we go ONE more time with the FACTS of our "Main Male Lead"

Gets his Ass kicked by Rey
Gets his Ass kicked Chewie
Gets his Ass kicked by a random Alien
Gets his Ass kicked by a Storm Trooper
Gets his Ass kicked by Kylo Ren

No retribution whatsoever for ANY of those physical L's

Has No Force
Can't Pilot
Has No discernible skills...besides SANITATION
Lies twice
Runs away, only to come back to save the white girl and fail TWICE

So THIS your Hero's Journey Breh? Cause again, you can keep it:camby:
tumblr_ln4ixvTptW1qemjpbo1_400.gif

They even used ESPN/Sportscenter to sell me on it :mjcry:

I get it. They were saving it for Rey and used Finn to pump fake us. But dont Sportscenter me :sadcam:

Last edited:

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Why does every new character have to be the "new Luke" or the "new Han"? Why can't we just let them be Finn and Rey? I swear the way that some of yall are holding on to the past is ruining the movie and saga for you guys. Just shut the entire fukk up and enjoy this shyt dammit!
I think Finn is the most original character in the film.