Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OFFICIAL THREAD)

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Things that people are accepting/will accept in this movie that they would've HATED if George had written it:
- As Han put it, "Another Death Star"? No no not another.....just a different machine that's 10x bigger and destroys not just the planet but also it's moons :troll:

- Kylo Ren: why is his whole backstory told and not shown :troll:

- BB8: obvious cash grab :troll:

- Finn: racist stereotype of the comic relief blackman, at one point he even gives a droid the 'nicca please' ('droid please') :troll:

- CGI aliens: so over the top it looks much better if it's a guy in a suit :troll:

- Supreme leader Snoke: first of all, dumb ass name, second what's with the Thanos ripoff and why can't Luke sense him :troll:

- Poe: gay agenda :troll:

- That cantina scene:....what a rip-off of the cantina scene :troll:

- The big death: cheap :troll:

I will add on later.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Where did all these "Finn" stans come from? :why: Was dude a boss in the novels/comics or something? I'm not a star wars stan so I don't understand the outrage.:francis:

He was promoted as the first Black lead in A Star Wars movie. There was HEAVY marketing suggesting he would be the lead and be Force Sensitive.

They pulled the okie doke. He's the comic relief of the film and doesn't even have a true arc to continue his character. Disappointing to say the least

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This Finngate controversy is all the reason more Black people should be out here creating sci-fi/fantasy stories with characters that look like us, written how we want. For example(off the top of the head), like Kevin Grevioux who created Blue Marvel, Amandla Stenberg has written and about to release her series, and recently that guy who's doing an African "Game of Thrones".

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
This Finngate controversy is all the reason more Black people should be out here creating sci-fi/fantasy stories with characters that look like us, written how we want. For example(off the top of the head), like Kevin Grevioux who created Blue Marvel, Amandla Stenberg has written and about to release her series, and recently that guy who's doing an African "Game of Thrones".

Tragic thing is the last time one of "Us" tried to put on and do something like that. It got absolutely shytted on (After Earth) and not even WE supported the brother Will Smith.

His FIRST flopped movie is the one starring a Black Father, who is heroic, courageous, and intelligent attempting to reconcile with his son while the son learns to overcome fear.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rian Johnson is gonna make the next Star Wars movie his EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. It was always his movie I was most excited about. I was shocked they chose him, because his movies are pretty dark. I expect the next Star Wars to be darker in tone and more character driven.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He was promoted as the first Black lead in A Star Wars movie. There was HEAVY marketing suggesting he would be the lead and be Force Sensitive.

They pulled the okie doke. He's the comic relief of the film and doesn't even have a true arc to continue his character. Disappointing to say the least

I always thought the chick was heralded as the "lead" :patrice:, maybe if you're talking about the previews (which I personally don't put much stock in), I understand then (dude wielding the light saber, and even then he looked pretty uncomfortable in the previews).

I was just reading the past five or six pages and folks are in knot over dude. Like, he was the only reason why they were checking out a Star Wars film just to see "Finn":pachaha:, someone that doesn't even have background to "critique" on. I hope coli posters weren't expecting dude to be Nat Turner of the force:pachaha:.

Thanks for the clarification breh.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
Tragic thing is the last time one of "Us" tried to put on and do something like that. It got absolutely shytted on (After Earth) and not even WE supported the brother Will Smith.

His FIRST flopped movie is the one starring a Black Father, who is heroic, courageous, and intelligent attempting to reconcile with his son while the son learns to overcome fear.
AE was terrible. I'm nor going to support a terrible movie just because of Will and Jaden Smith. Will is worth over 100 million dollars and lives in Calabasas with a bunch of white superstars. He in no way represents my struggle.

@ColiLOGIC

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
I always thought the chick was heralded as the "lead" :patrice:, maybe if you're talking about the previews (which I personally don't put much stock in), I understand then (dude wielding the light saber, and even then he looked pretty uncomfortable in the previews).

I was just reading the past five or six pages and folks are in knot over dude. Like, he was the only reason why they were checking out a Star Wars film just to see "Finn":pachaha:, someone that doesn't even have background to "critique" on. I hope coli posters weren't expecting dude to be Nat Turner of the force:pachaha:.

Thanks for the clarification breh.
Yes. For me, at least, he was the only reason to get excited about this movie. The first trailer was the draw.. But Boyegas reaction video was the clincher.
All marketing was based on the mystery of Finn. All controversy. All teasers. Not even Han and Chewie created the buzz Finn did, and certainly not Rey.

Kylo was the other clincher.

Take out all Finn related pieces, and what sells the movie is the villain.

I'm happy for little white girls. I am not one of them, though.

I don't have to support this right now. Maybe later.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where did all these "Finn" stans come from? :why: Was dude a boss in the novels/comics or something? I'm not a star wars stan so I don't understand the outrage.:francis:

People who are Jedi stans or who conveniently forget about past black characters in Star Wars( or haven't seen Star Wars and don't realize there are strong black characters already) immediately jumped on the lightsaber stuff feel bamboozled. I am onboard that the whole thing was a sham to a.) draw in brehs and other minorities, by not letting on that the character is a sidekick and to b.) Market the movie with the most charismatic and ready to be marketed actor at the time and to c.) Do the usual Abrams misdirection and slowly bringing along a reluctant Daisy Ridley so that there is minimal backlash(will speak more on that). Trust, that (a) sucks to even myself. I don't care that Finn is a Jedi. I don't care if he's the main character. I have stated my disdain of the Jedi, and this movie sounds like it will do nothing to dispell that. The only good Jedi in my mind was Ahsoka Tano, and I hope they are smart enough to do something better with her character than just make it some footnote in Anakin's history(sorry, but that is dumb. Her impact on him should be far, far greater than what they are doing). Anyways, she left, so fukk the Jedi. But back on target, it sucks. Sounds like the character is a complete 180 from the marketing. Can someone point to a similar thing being done to a white character?

The second point, that I think is lost on this board might be the possible backlash for a female lead. I point this out because they totally used Boyega and let him take the black Stormtrooper backlash(again this is dumb as there are books and Rebels episodes with a black stormtrooper that talks about his sister being in the Imperial academy as well. Like I said, a lot of this shyt is people that have never watched or read anything from this Universe) because they were scared the Star Wars fanbase would reject a female lead. That to me is racist in and of itself and just sad. I say the same about Mad Max though. Sad they feared marketing Charlise Theron as the lead in that movie. What I will say though is that, men hate women. I think American white men hate their women on a different level, but reading this site, its clear that black men share some of that too with our own women. But white men have some psychological hate that has old world urgency, with a new world want to send them back to the kitchen if they could type of mentality. Almost an anger because the law won't let them hit them(women) when they feel they need to. And given that this project was led by a white woman, you know she was going to hide it and burn anyone in the way to make it work. Who is easiest to sacrifice? The ****** of course. Thanks KK and JJ.

That's the outrage. The young black character was sold out to make a strong white female lead. Strip that away, and I could careless if he's the end all of this movie, because Star Wars don't work like that. But it happened, so it can't be ignored whether you like the movie or not or even if you don't care about him being a Jedi. Emasculating.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
He's black so they want him to be an unfunny, heroic, fearless Jedi master, he's a brand new character not in any star wars stuff before this
We already got Mace windu though. The problem with the prequels was that they took themselves too seriously. They missed the point that Star Wars is essentially a Spaghetti Western in space. Luke was lame although "the viewer" could see that he was the hero. There is no magic that helps Finn other than that of his own decisionmaking and his friends whom he freely chooses. His own agency is what
freed him from the First Order
From what I have seen he is the most charismatic, real, funniest and second most layered character behind
Kylo Ren
. I have also heard he carries the movie until the final act. Is he a jobber to get Rey over? Maybe. I hope not but they left the door open on his future. He could come back and be Steely resolved and powerful or he could come back and be a Jar-Jar facsimile. We will see. I like multi-faceted characters whose drive and aspirations are not so clear. Other people like comic book movies with over the top villains, clearly defined good/evil fights and one note characters who matter more for what they can do rather than their development. If I think he is just a clown then I will come in here and say it. I won't find out till tomorrow...

Last edited: