Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OFFICIAL THREAD)

Numero Deux

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Unapproachable East
mKMb03f.png

Disney is very serious about keeping a lid on this film. Random folks are the net claiming to have seen this film before official release are most definitely full of shyt.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department

Nothing special here, but I thought it was nice to see the "New 4" all having a sit down together. There has surprisingly been very little media with *just* these guys together.

CHL

Superstar
Daps
Breh i think its a good possibility that he went to the dark side. I think the negative effects of never being fully trained and the fact that he started his training when he was way too old will take it's toll. I think there are legit reasons why the jedi council had strict guidelines.

However, the dark side of the force is not necessarily bad either.
Exactly, it's what you do with it :shaq:

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
The only image I have of him is what I've seen. And for every white character you've described there are five that are the opposite of that. It's kind of pointless to engage you about the subject though since you want to be blind to history of black people and Hollywood so I'll let you argue with someone that actually wants to waste a few hours with you. Especially when the end of my post highlights that one would expect for his character to grow through the three movies but given the history of Hollywood and black actors not named Denzel or will smith the skepticism is understandable. Your steadfast denial of that skepticism is understandable too though considering the source.
Five points the opposite?
Peeta is a goodhearted guy who while clearly being a beast in his own right regularly defers to Katniss as she's the lead and echoes more authority.
Scott Lang lead the movie yes, but the self assured "badass" character was the daughter and in scenes with them that could be felt.
And there's characters in a ton of movies that are white whether it's a fantasy/scifi or real world movie where the men defer to females whether that's for comedic effect or something else, black, white, hispanic, it happens in a ton of movies.
It has nothing to do with the "emasculation of black males", nothing in Finns arc points to "emasculation" so far it points to him being human.
Blacks are a minority in hollywood so it's going to be easier for you to point out examples of what you believe this "emasculation" is even with the characters that directly go against that.
If someone wants to talk about hollywood white washing black history, not letting black characters step out of certain roles, and not giving black actors and directors jobs I'm all there.
But this emasculation crap I see spewed all the time, whether it's about Medea or Finn is imo just a bunch of black people insecure about being treated the same as white characters are but because we're a minority, feeling like we're being got at because of it or that it's unique when it's not.
Finn isn't being emasculated, he's having his hero arc, and I'm sorry if you would rather have your heroes be fully realized badasses in their first appearance rather than people who need to grow and find themselves.
You're judging Finn way too harshly.
And if he does defer to Rey in this movie as the "leader", I'm sure his arc will contain his breaking out from under that shadow.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Can't even read the thread anymore. I appreciate the spoiler tags but now I'm in the corner with no content

Jermio

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Disney is very serious about keeping a lid on this film. Random folks are the net claiming to have seen this film before official release are most definitely full of shyt.

I don't know about random people, but I know a nikka who's seen it. All I'm gonna say is...we gon eat good next week. :blessed:

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
And yet a lot of folks (RLM included) were so dead-set sure Finn/Boyega was going to die in this movie. :mjpls:

It's highly unrealistic that they would kill him off in the very first movie, if at all.

This is a Disney movie, not a Tarantino flick.

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dude on another message board that's well respected and proven in the past to have Hollywood connections saw the movie and posted a spoiler free review:

Here's my non-spoiler review/impressions on the movie. NOSTALGIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Oh boy, how to review a film without talking anything about the story.

My whole plan to see the film was try to avoid any footage of it besides the teasers. This is very difficult especially in my field. I did see the first two teasers as planned, but haven't seen any of the latest marketing besides a brief bit of a TV Spot, and of course that meme all over my feed, thanks facebook friends. Anyways, based on this, I had no idea what to expect.

Yes, the film is excellent. Hell, its fukking awesome. Its nice to see a decent Star Wars film after the prequels (I know it gets tiring, but there'll be comparisons here).

Effects: JJ has been heavily emphasizing practical models and effects and there's actually a lot of it, or the CGI is just so good on certain things. Either way it worked. Obviously there's CGI, and having seen Revenge of the Sith recently obviouslyTFA's CGI beats it. It doesn't feel like its all over the place, like Lucas prequel films, sorry if it sounds a bit off topic here. The sound design itself is awesome. I mean people will focus on the obviously amazing soundtrack by John Williams, but I very much enjoyed the sounds of the various things in the movie (Spaceships, characters, world, etc). No complaints for the effects honestly.

Cinematography did the job when needed in my opinion. It doesn't really stand out but there are a few stunning landscape shots. I would be more specific on what scenes, but no spoilers.

Did it feel like a Star Wars movie? There were a few people mentioning to me they were worried about it just being a sci fi movie with Star Wars elements. Its definitely a Star Wars movie, and a great one at that. If the Williams theme doesn't convince you, then the characters will and the feel of the world. Lots of fan service, but done very well. I'm not exactly a hardcore fan here, but even a casual person might get a few of the references heh. If you feel worried the marketing has spoiled a bit, you're in for a show. I think their restrained marketing strategy will really please fans. I'd be honestly okay if JJ did the rest of the series, but it'll be interesting to see how the other directors handle it.

Characters characters characters. How were the new leads like Ridley and Boyega? They were both good, though I think Boyega was better. Had some great scenes. I'm going to avoid talking about the old cast besides saying Ford may have aged, but he's still Han Solo. I would talk more in this section, but I might be walking into spoiler territory. No complaints about the characters here in general.

Its also nice to have a decent script where the characters aren't worried about stupid sand or cringe worthy romance bits.

Crowd was perfect btw, they cheered at the right moments. I think they enjoyed it, but I didn't exactly survey everyone. Though Disney types did hand out some surveys. What does this mean for box office? Seeing the film doesn't automatically make me the best box office predictor but I can say with confidence that it'll explode. Anyways.

Its definitely a Star Wars movie.

STAR WARS IS BACK.

If I had to rate it, this is tough because I really love a New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. I think in some ways its stronger then ANH, but that movie was so damn revolutionary that its hard to top for me.

ESB

ANH

TFA

ROTJ

ROTS

TPM

AOTC

Final rating: A

That's exactly how I'd rate them, with the exception of the one we haven't seen yet, of course.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Characters characters characters. How were the new leads like Ridley and Boyega? They were both good, though I think Boyega was better. Had some great scenes. I'm going to avoid talking about the old cast besides saying Ford may have aged, but he's still Han Solo. I would talk more in this section, but I might be walking into spoiler territory. No complaints about the characters here in general.

:jbhmm:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Five points the opposite?
Peeta is a goodhearted guy who while clearly being a beast in his own right regularly defers to Katniss as she's the lead and echoes more authority.
Scott Lang lead the movie yes, but the self assured "badass" character was the daughter and in scenes with them that could be felt.
And there's characters in a ton of movies that are white whether it's a fantasy/scifi or real world movie where the men defer to females whether that's for comedic effect or something else, black, white, hispanic, it happens in a ton of movies.
It has nothing to do with the "emasculation of black males", nothing in Finns arc points to "emasculation" so far it points to him being human.
Blacks are a minority in hollywood so it's going to be easier for you to point out examples of what you believe this "emasculation" is even with the characters that directly go against that.
If someone wants to talk about hollywood white washing black history, not letting black characters step out of certain roles, and not giving black actors and directors jobs I'm all there.
But this emasculation crap I see spewed all the time, whether it's about Medea or Finn is imo just a bunch of black people insecure about being treated the same as white characters are but because we're a minority, feeling like we're being got at because of it or that it's unique when it's not.
Finn isn't being emasculated, he's having his hero arc, and I'm sorry if you would rather have your heroes be fully realized badasses in their first appearance rather than people who need to grow and find themselves.
You're judging Finn way too harshly.
And if he does defer to Rey in this movie as the "leader", I'm sure his arc will contain his breaking out from under that shadow.
Exaclty . People are making it seem like if Finn isn't prep time batman he's a jobber . The guy has a character arc and is heroic if the spoilers are true . He seems like a main character with flaws