Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OFFICIAL THREAD)

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
I didn't want to get into the argument but I won't be mad at somebody being :patrice: at how Finn will be portrayed. From the trailers he hasn't really looked strong in any moment save for maybe the one fight against the storm trooper. He's either saying he's unsure, looking like :why: or deffering to Rey. Hollywood has a history of making us caricatures or emasculating black men (see the walking dead tyrese, Morgan, etc).

Hopefully this time will be different but we will see. Hopefully Finn grows through the trilogy to be a strong leader. We just might have to sit through him "finding himself" and taking some Ls this episode.
How many fukking white characters have you seen in movies who are men that defer to a female character n some way?
There's a litany of them, Peeta and Scott Lang from Ant Man for recent examples.
Stop expecting Finn to be treated any differently, he wasn't written as a character meant to be a generic badass who inspires black people and corrects decades of Hollywood marginalization.
Just let go of this fukking ridiculous image you're building up of him in your head and recognize him for the good character he is which is much better than what people on here seem to want.
NEzGozCTqIMCDG_2_b.jpg

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
:wow: wish i could @ the right posters but they marketed finn as the lead so they would get us to spend money to watch the movie to support Finn.. and now they are doing a 180 on us and a i bet a lot of our people don't even know that they are making finn the sidekick now :francis: ... and all i got ot say for those black posters defending this shyt
giphy.gif

Or they could be cacs pretending to be black see if they posted in @Prynce thread
nobody ever marketed Finn as a lead clowns on here swore he was from the moment TFA was announced, a lot of cats assumed Lucas having a black wife meant he was on son progressive shyt and made sure a star wars film was to be led by a black as a caveat before he sold lucasfilms to Disney. Lol at he being the first shot in a trailer meaning anything. Y'all read into the most miniscule things and ran with it. If he's a sidekick that didn't just happen that is how it was always intended. You really thought they would make a black the main character of star wars? :why:

sportscribe

Superstar
Daps
I'm thinking on whether I should check this out in 4D or not. :lupe:

Might just opt for 3D, because the 4D prices are :whoo:.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It sounds like some of you expected Black Dynamite in a Star Wars movie. There were just not characters like that in the OT. This is not a saga about dominating masculinity. As much as some of you want all black characters to be Mace Windu , that was such a wooden character compared to the typical round Star Wars characters, who have lots of light hearted moments, moments of bravery and are often defeated in battle and often rely on their companions to get them out of trouble. Its funny, I was thinking about an earlier post that was talking about what made Finn weak. The scenes listed are like
straight up nostalgia call backs to the OT from Luke and Han. This was confirmed by some of the first reviews showing up on ***** and reddit. They seem to think Finn is a better character than Rey. Finn being injured at the end like Luke in ESB(twice). The monster scene reminiscent of Luke in the garbage disposal. Luke in the pilots chair of the MF(remember, the MF was an old hunk of junk in Ep IV. Remember Luke's dumbass went out on the Tonton when they told him it was too cold and had to be rescued by Han(who used his lightsaber). Had to be ancient compared to what Finn was used to). Han not getting the shields down of Death Star II. Luke facing of with Vader in ESB and losing, only to be saved by Leia(remember, Calrisian was going to leave his ass). Don't forget, with all of Luke's Jediness at that point he was captured along with the others in a damn Ewok net. So maybe that's not Predator Arnold or Rambo, but that's not really what the heroes are like in Star Wars. Seriously, watch Rebels, not Clone Wars if you want to see what Star Wars characters are really like. Flawed, but brave

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I might go to the 1st viewing of this movie dolo just to gauge the racism. Cause i get the feeling some brave group of cacs will do monkey chants or shout "neggger" whenever john is on the screen

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
How many fukking white characters have you seen in movies who are men that defer to a female character n some way?
There's a litany of them, Peeta and Scott Lang from Ant Man for recent examples.
Stop expecting Finn to be treated any differently, he wasn't written as a character meant to be a generic badass who inspires black people and corrects decades of Hollywood marginalization.
Just let go of this fukking ridiculous image you're building up of him in your head and recognize him for the good character he is which is much better than what people on here seem to want.
NEzGozCTqIMCDG_2_b.jpg
The only image I have of him is what I've seen. And for every white character you've described there are five that are the opposite of that. It's kind of pointless to engage you about the subject though since you want to be blind to history of black people and Hollywood so I'll let you argue with someone that actually wants to waste a few hours with you. Especially when the end of my post highlights that one would expect for his character to grow through the three movies but given the history of Hollywood and black actors not named Denzel or will smith the skepticism is understandable. Your steadfast denial of that skepticism is understandable too though considering the source.

Last edited:
Daps
Dude on another message board that's well respected and proven in the past to have Hollywood connections saw the movie and posted a spoiler free review:

Here's my non-spoiler review/impressions on the movie. NOSTALGIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Oh boy, how to review a film without talking anything about the story.

My whole plan to see the film was try to avoid any footage of it besides the teasers. This is very difficult especially in my field. I did see the first two teasers as planned, but haven't seen any of the latest marketing besides a brief bit of a TV Spot, and of course that meme all over my feed, thanks facebook friends. Anyways, based on this, I had no idea what to expect.

Yes, the film is excellent. Hell, its fukking awesome. Its nice to see a decent Star Wars film after the prequels (I know it gets tiring, but there'll be comparisons here).

Effects: JJ has been heavily emphasizing practical models and effects and there's actually a lot of it, or the CGI is just so good on certain things. Either way it worked. Obviously there's CGI, and having seen Revenge of the Sith recently obviouslyTFA's CGI beats it. It doesn't feel like its all over the place, like Lucas prequel films, sorry if it sounds a bit off topic here. The sound design itself is awesome. I mean people will focus on the obviously amazing soundtrack by John Williams, but I very much enjoyed the sounds of the various things in the movie (Spaceships, characters, world, etc). No complaints for the effects honestly.

Cinematography did the job when needed in my opinion. It doesn't really stand out but there are a few stunning landscape shots. I would be more specific on what scenes, but no spoilers.

Did it feel like a Star Wars movie? There were a few people mentioning to me they were worried about it just being a sci fi movie with Star Wars elements. Its definitely a Star Wars movie, and a great one at that. If the Williams theme doesn't convince you, then the characters will and the feel of the world. Lots of fan service, but done very well. I'm not exactly a hardcore fan here, but even a casual person might get a few of the references heh. If you feel worried the marketing has spoiled a bit, you're in for a show. I think their restrained marketing strategy will really please fans. I'd be honestly okay if JJ did the rest of the series, but it'll be interesting to see how the other directors handle it.

Characters characters characters. How were the new leads like Ridley and Boyega? They were both good, though I think Boyega was better. Had some great scenes. I'm going to avoid talking about the old cast besides saying Ford may have aged, but he's still Han Solo. I would talk more in this section, but I might be walking into spoiler territory. No complaints about the characters here in general.

Its also nice to have a decent script where the characters aren't worried about stupid sand or cringe worthy romance bits.

Crowd was perfect btw, they cheered at the right moments. I think they enjoyed it, but I didn't exactly survey everyone. Though Disney types did hand out some surveys. What does this mean for box office? Seeing the film doesn't automatically make me the best box office predictor but I can say with confidence that it'll explode. Anyways.

Its definitely a Star Wars movie.

STAR WARS IS BACK.

If I had to rate it, this is tough because I really love a New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. I think in some ways its stronger then ANH, but that movie was so damn revolutionary that its hard to top for me.

ESB

ANH

TFA

ROTJ

ROTS

TPM

AOTC

Final rating: A