Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OFFICIAL THREAD)

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
Some people just got to have it spoon fed to them breh.

White women haven't had it bad AT all when it comes to their cinematic depictions in sci-fi/fantasy movies

Going back to the OG Star Wars in 77 Leia is depicted as smart, strong, brave, and tenacious.

Lord Of The Rings- White Woman saves the day in Fellowship by saving Frodo and the Hobbits early in the film
Return Of The King- White Woman heroically battles and defeats the Witch King
The Hobbit- A White woman character is created SPECIFICALLY for the movie and portrayed as strong, brave, and cunning

The MCU is chalk full of strong, heroic women including Black Widow, Wasp, Lady Sif, and Pepper Potts, who ALL at some point save the day. (While Terrence Howard is fired for wanting the salary he SIGNED for and replaced with Don Cheadle, because all black people look the same:mjpls:. Don's Rhodey is of course relegated to the conventional side kick role and gets his ass kicked while Pepper Potts, a goddamn assistant secretary saves the day in the suit)

Scarlett Johanssenn just starred in Lucy, a sci-fi movie that just grossed $400 million

Jennifer Lawrence just starred in the final Hunger Games, a Fantasy franchise that's been considered one of the most lucrative in cinematic history.

Gal Gadot will be starring in Batman Vs Superman and is shooting her own Wonder Woman movie.

Again, you can miss me with the "poor white woman's lack of cinematic portrayal" because that argument is complete and utter bullshyt and only a c00n would fix his fingers to type that crap.

I, personally, have no interest in watching another White Man/Woman's heroic journey, ESPECIALLY when all the marketing up to THIS point has focused on the supposed heroism of the black character. It would be different if it was par for the course and they casted two white leads, because it's just Hollywood following its status quo, but IF (I say IF because we don't have confirmation quite yet) they have Boyega turn out to be the ONLY human character in the movie canon (the ONLY canon that matters) to wield and battle with a lightsaber to NOT turn out to be force sensitive, and THEN to have be saved by a Cac bytch and end up as her side kick, then fukk Star Wars.
John Boyega and Finn would fukk you up. Gay.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I posted something about the movie this morning, and this chick thought she was going to be funny by calling me a nerd. I responded by saying "Didn't you and your friends go to Twilight wearing TEAM EDWARD shirts?" I should've used the :rudy: face on her.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Have spoilers been dropped that insinuate that Finn will be some throw away character? The marketing has seemed to make it appear he would be one of the three major protagonists

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
Have spoilers been dropped that insinuate that Finn will be some throw away character? The marketing has seemed to make it appear he would be one of the three major protagonists
There is a belief or spoiler he isn't "Force Sensitive" or doesn't have the force, or won't be a Jedi, and thus people are assuming he's sidekick status.
I personally think its very premature to think so.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There is a belief or spoiler he isn't "Force Sensitive" or doesn't have the force, or won't be a Jedi, and thus people are assuming he's sidekick status.
I personally think its very premature to think so.
Hmm, I tend to believe that spoiler will be proved to false, but who knows until next week

It certainly didnt devalue Han's importance/popularity from the OG trilogy though

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have been thinking about where they are going to take Finn throughout the trilogy and how he and Rey are going to evolve and who they will be by the series end.

I do like the idea that was put forth earlier in this thread that one of the two could fall to the darkside and ends up at odds with the other. That certainly would make for an interesting dynamic.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:beli:

millenniumfalcon.com • MF.com

The Force Awakens Synposis - Public

Read the whole thing. I don't see what there is left to say. It's all there.

The makingstarwars info picked up on Finncompetence months ago, and the shot list just confirms it.

@23Stapscity

You know what's even lazier? Black characters with the same old caveats as they have always had.

The blatant misdirection is what is ruffling feathers.

People are just more passionate here because 1) It's Star Wars so it's a bigger deal and 2) They happily accepted the marketing buzz around the idea of a Black Jedi lead, knowing what the movie was. It's shytty, and I've seen this discussion EVERYWHERE, not just The Coli, so please don't jump to the tired "these coli militants and their conspiracies" nonsense.

Frankly, I've been following the pr, and I'm getting a sense that they have picked up on some of these concerns. They have been walking back Boyega's importance these past couple of weeks. He was at one of those conferences and was all "Honestly, I relate to Rey's character more than anyone". He also seemed a little :usure: during that Sway interview when they were talking that "save the galaxy:

finn was a stormtrooper. i dont know what star wars films u watch. but stormtroopers are easily the most disposable fighters in the entire history of the universe. at one point they were literally clones designed to provide strength in numbers. they dont win because theyre better than u. they win through overwhelming force. the first shot from A New Hope shows these dudes literally being mowed down one by one until there's just too many of them and they swarm the good guys.

aside from that scene tho... has a stormtrooper ever hit anything besides C-3PO with a laser shot? on-camera?

so finn was a stormtrooper, quit because it wasnt for him (whatever the reason), and ur surprised he's in over his head? a reject from the worst group of fighters in the galaxy can't handle himself in a fight at the start? seems to me the fact that he's figuring shyt out, regardless of how he does it, is because there is something special there, waiting to be tapped into.

maybe it's just me. but i never once thought finn would be more than what he is. a lead who has a lot to learn. sure, he's a little goofier than i imagined. but im sorry. i dont see the racial subtext some are bytching about. in star wars, if ur not a skywalker, or established as a bad ass right out the gate (solo, chewie, obi wan, maul, vader, boba fett, windu, the emperor, etc.).. it's because ur not a bad ass. and finn, even when he's holding that lightsaber getting ready to go one-up with kylo (did he not look shook as fukk?), has never screamed bad ass. at least not yet.

he's looked overwhelmed in every trailer i've seen. dude dont even know what he's fighting for, or why, and it's obvious he has to figure that out before he can really begin his journey. are yall even listening to what he's saying in the trailers?

at the same time... what finn is now doesnt speak to what he'll become. luke wasnt a very good fighter at one point either (always been a helluva pilot tho), and we see what became of him. u dont know what finn will end up becoming. u might not like what he becomes. but it doesnt mean it's racist.

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
I have been thinking about where they are going to take Finn throughout the trilogy and how he and Rey are going to evolve and who they will be by the series end.

I do like the idea that was put forth earlier in this thread that one of the two could fall to the darkside and ends up at odds with the other. That certainly would make for an interesting dynamic.
You have a point. Furiosa was the lead in Fury Road, but they used Max's name and marketing on top of a story which really had nothing to do with him.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps

He's gonna go from a traitor of the empire to a coward to a traitor of the rebels

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You have a point. Furiosa was the lead in Fury Road, but they used Max's name and marketing on top of a story which really had nothing to do with him.
yea but thats what mad max movies are about except for the first one

dude is a vagabond who travels around and helps other people and then leaves

Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's gonna go from a traitor of the empire to a coward to a traitor of the rebels

i suggest yall read those synopsis before you pay to see this trash, storyline is phantom menace level

lets hope boyega isn't the lead, I think this is the film that will finally get star wars fans to stop blindly spending money on this crap, then again they are worst than battered wive

need to study what is about this franchise that makes people take such abuse