Stan Lee Disses DC Comics, Says They Got Alot Of Catching Up To Do

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
The funny thing about this Superman thing is.... no one really loved the last movie till this DC vs Marvel war sparked. Mind you, I loved that movie... I was one of the few that defended it when it dropped years ago.. But I remember that thread where the majority of the people shytted on it saying it sucked and completely criticized it.

I wonder how many of yall in here have all of a sudden changed your tunes for the sake of the narrative?:steviej:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
DC is that far behind breh. How are they not? Marvel started a connected universe in 2008....DC is just now trying to lay a foundation for something similar, 7 years later.

I think some people in this thread (not necessarily you) are getting "I agree with Stan" confused with "Marvel's movies are better". You can think the Nolan trilogy is better than anything in the MCU....but it doesn't change the fact that it's not even canon for their connected universe. DC is just starting out and Marvel is going into Phase 3....they are very far behind.

Fred.
I feel you fam. When I say they aren't that far behind, I'm talking quality-wise. Arrow and The Flash are/have been getting rave reviews. DC is behind as far as the number of box office hits they've put out compared to Marvel, but DC has been doing their thing when it comes to cartoons and live action TV shows. DC is established to the average consumer that doesn't read comics.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
What does it matter if they started the universe now or 5 years from now? Do people really think the GA is gonna be like "Marvel is killing the game with their universe, I don't have time for DC :beli:" shyt gonna make money regardless

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
DC is that far behind breh. How are they not? Marvel started a connected universe in 2008....DC is just now trying to lay a foundation for something similar, 7 years later.

I think some people in this thread (not necessarily you) are getting "I agree with Stan" confused with "Marvel's movies are better". You can think the Nolan trilogy is better than anything in the MCU....but it doesn't change the fact that it's not even canon for their connected universe. DC is just starting out and Marvel is going into Phase 3....they are very far behind.

Fred.

You would think that, but you are basing the "race" on the wrong parameters. When Batman v Superman comes out DC and Marvel could easily be neck and neck.

The only advantage if you can even call it one is that Marvel has introduced more characters into their universe. More characters =/= a better story or movie or universe.

I don't know why people are harping on Marvel's position on movies in their universe as them being "ahead". Or saying DC has to "catch up".

By that logic, when Marvel finally gets to their climactic ending does that mean they win? See how stupid that sounds?

When BvS comes out DC will have "caught up" because it only takes two movies within the same universe to make a cinematic universe. When Suicide Squad comes out they will be setting foot into territory that marvel has yet to do( GotG is nothing like suicide squad btw). Will that push DC ahead of Marvel?

See how the notion of More movies = ahead is stupid.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
You would think that, but you are basing the "race" on the wrong parameters. When Batman v Superman comes out DC and Marvel could easily be neck and neck.

The only advantage if you can even call it one is that Marvel has introduced more characters into their universe. More characters =/= a better story or movie or universe.

I don't know why people are harping on Marvel's position on movies in their universe as them being "ahead". Or saying DC has to "catch up".

By that logic, when Marvel finally gets to their climactic ending does that mean they win? See how stupid that sounds?

When BvS comes out DC will have "caught up" because it only takes two movies within the same universe to make a cinematic universe. When Suicide Squad comes out they will be setting foot into territory that marvel has yet to do. Will that push DC ahead of Marvel?

Dude it's really not that serious, all this is about traction and a trail of box office receipts. If bvs crushes buildings but the subsequent movies wonder woman,aquaman and suicide squad all bomb have they really "caught up" or is that "game over"

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

When BvS comes out DC will have "caught up" because it only takes two movies within the same universe to make a cinematic universe. When Suicide Squad comes out they will be setting foot into territory that marvel has yet to do( GotG is nothing like suicide squad btw). Will that push DC ahead of Marvel?

They are and always will be behind because they are biting Marvel's idea.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

You could've just said this, and Dapped me.

And it has nothing to do with a race. Marvel and DC are both trying to execute the same plan....create a shared universe....Marvel is ahead in that regard. Far, far ahead.

Because of that there's no way in hell DC can drop "Batman V Superman" and be anywhere near Marvel, logistically. It's one movie towards their shared universe vs eleven for Marvel.

A shared universe holds more weight than dropping a bunch of random ass movies. Business-wise it's better, because people that wouldn't have checked for "Thor" or "Captain America" or "Antman" (or "Aquaman" for that matter) are curious as to how it ties into the over arching story. Story-wise it's better for the reasons you outlined.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I feel you fam. When I say they aren't that far behind, I'm talking quality-wise. Arrow and The Flash are/have been getting rave reviews. DC is behind as far as the number of box office hits they've put out compared to Marvel, but DC has been doing their thing when it comes to cartoons and live action TV shows. DC is established to the average consumer that doesn't read comics.

Quality is subjective so I'm talking strictly about how close either one is to implementing their plans. Thanos will be stepping off the space recliner shortly.

Granted, we could be having this conversation in an alternate reality where Marvel no longer exists because "Ironman" flopped, and ended the MCU in it's infancy. But the gamble paid off, and it was probably years before DC realized the full scope of it.

Fred.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dude it's really not that serious, all this is about traction and a trail of box office receipts. If bvs crushes buildings but the subsequent movies wonder woman,aquaman and suicide squad all bomb have they really "caught up" or is that "game over"
Marvel's format will make more money hands down. There's no debating that. The darker tone of the DC movies will not have as broad of an appeal as the marvel movies but that doesn't make either one better or worse than the other.

Marvel's stamp and universe is whats pushing a lot of their movies success. Take away the shared universe and the Marvel stamp on GotG for example and that movie wouldn't of made nearly as much and probably would of gotten a lot worse reviews. But instead they got an A for effort and a pat on the back for somehow making a movie with a talking racc00n and a walking tree not suck.

$$$ = success at the end of the day
Transformers knows this.

Marvel's character development and story depth are pretty shallow and stale but they make up for it in fight scenes, Easter eggs, and character reveals which makes it just as entertaining for some.

I don't think Age of Ultron will make as much as the first Avengers which isn't necessarily a bad thing because the bar was raised so high. But I think one of the main reason will be due to Marvel revealing their future slate. People already have an idea of what to expect. One of the big hype factors of the first movie was the uncertainty of what was to come next and the only way to find out was to see the movie. Now I already know what comes next, and after that, and after that.

I don't watch Marvel movies for the stories, I watch them for the fight scenes, the Easter eggs, and the character reveals. So now I already know what movies are being made and whose going to be in them. So there goes most of the Easter eggs and character reveals i was anticpating
So for me with age of ultron I'm basically getting the same movie with less of the stuff I was looking forward to. Why should I care about Ultron when they've built up thanos as being the real big and bad.

If Avengers 2 were a comic it would just be the prelude chapter to civil war... We already know Ultron gets dealt with and we move on to bigger and badder problems.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Marvel's format will make more money hands down. There's no debating that. The darker tone of the DC movies will not have as broad of an appeal as the marvel movies but that doesn't make either one better or worse than the other.

Marvel's stamp and universe is whats pushing a lot of their movies success. Take away the shared universe and the Marvel stamp on GotG for example and that movie wouldn't of made nearly as much and probably would of gotten a lot worse reviews. But instead they got an A for effort and a pat on the back for somehow making a movie with a talking racc00n and a walking tree not suck.

$$$ = success at the end of the day
Transformers knows this.

Marvel's character development and story depth are pretty shallow and stale but they make up for it in fight scenes, Easter eggs, and character reveals which makes it just as entertaining for some.

I don't think Age of Ultron will make as much as the first Avengers which isn't necessarily a bad thing because the bar was raised so high. But I think one of the main reason will be due to Marvel revealing their future slate. People already have an idea of what to expect. One of the big hype factors of the first movie was the uncertainty of what was to come next and the only way to find out was to see the movie. Now I already know what comes next, and after that, and after that.

I don't watch Marvel movies for the stories, I watch them for the fight scenes, the Easter eggs, and the character reveals. So now I already know what movies are being made and whose going to be in them. So there goes most of the Easter eggs and character reveals i was anticpating
So for me with age of ultron I'm basically getting the same movie with less of the stuff I was looking forward to. Why should I care about Ultron when they've built up thanos as being the real big and bad.

If Avengers 2 were a comic it would just be the prelude chapter to civil war... We already know Ultron gets dealt with and we move on to bigger and badder problems.

People don't care about the slate of films. The average person who isn't as obsessed as we are probably doesn't even remember any of the names or characters for the future films.

They are going in because its a sequel to a film they enjoyed with characters they've become invested in and grown to love over the years through the solo films.

Let's just hope on May 1st you don't let your lack of enthusiasm and sour attitude towards Marvel's success cloud your judgement and keep you from objectively evaluating the film :sas2:

Edit: that's like saying people won't see two towers because we know there is a third movie or we gonna skip the second hunger games or part 1 of the finale. People don't care, if it's good/they enjoy it, they will see it anyway

Last edited: