Spin: Wrestlers you were wrong about?

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
The Rock. I just didn't see it with that Rocky Maivia gimmick. When he became a big star I watched an old promo of his from USWA when he was Flex Kavana and it was exactly the Rock character.

Lmaooo I did the same a couple years ago. The Flex Kavana character was basically the bare bones rough draft version of The Rock, so he clearly had that star quality way before they even saddled him with that garbage blue chipper gimmick

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
In the Coliseum there was a thread called NBA Players you were wrong about, which then had a spin off thread of Hockey Players you were wrong about, which then had a spin off thread of Cricket Players you were wrong about. At least that's what I think it started this spin off :pachaha:

My hockey player thread

Had me searching this forum for a 'wrestlers you were right about' thread :dead:

Hockey players though :dahell:

luckyse7enz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit/Los Angeles
Fine. I'm admit it. In about 8th grade after Edge had been in the company for a few months, my boy Mark told me in the back row of Ms. Lydia Sawchuk's class that Edge was a future champion. At this point, all Edge had done was broke Savio Vega's neck and help Sable out.

I was like, "Maybe...but probably not. Can he even talk?" :troll:

I was dead wrong. :snoop:

These are my confessions. :ohlawd:

Apex

Banned
Daps
I thought Damien Sandow could have been the face of the WWE post John Cena era :snoop:

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I did legit did think London would be the next HBK

Sean O'Haire I thought was a main eventer

Bo Dallas was the shyt in nxt and that Bo live shyt was getting over but they just gave up and said nah you just a bum

once you get that jobber tag it’s near impossible to get out of it

Raven run in WWE thought he could do a lot more

Bo Dallas was never good, he was a product of the full sail guy cheering for damn near every one on the roster that had the slightest gimmick, I mean they loved Tyler breeze and people like perfect 10. Full sail crowds are not to be trusted

Thought Adam Cole was a bum
Yea I remember when I went to the Tokyo dome show and him and kyle oreily had a match, 99% of us got up to get food and use the bathroom
I just knew we had a star at this moment.

HelplessSpanishGaur-size_restricted.gif

in 1989 he would have been a legend. But unfortunately for him that boring basic big man style and move set doesn’t work anymore

Rayzah

Daps
I thought Drew Mac had next when he first returned to the scene, dropping everybody and their mothers with a Claymore kick.:mjcry:

i still don’t know why they don’t like him. He is the perfect monster heel to have Seth beat up on in Hiac matches and not waste the fiend on stupid finishes. He should have won king of the ring and went on a mid card run then and eventual championship match

That's not a real thing. Look at the history of WWE main eventers: They're almost all pre-ordained and given the rocket push since the Bruno days.

Bruno: Hot shot into a minute squash over Buddy Rogers after years of being mostly a mid carder in Capitol/WWWF and losing to Buddy Rogers like literally 20 times over 2 years.

Pedro: A low card guy in WWWF in the early-mid 60s, leaves for 5 years, comes back and wins the title within a month.

Backlund: The decision for him to take the title off of Superstar Graham was decided before Graham actually won the title.

Hogan: Won the title and was made the face of the promotion within a month of returning to the company.

Randy Savage: Was working a program with Hogan 3 months into his WWF run. Main event guy basically his entire run before winning the title, even if it was headlining the B loop.

Warrior: Sure he won the IC title first, but that was a rocket push and flop at that.

Bret/HBK: Yes, those two are a examples of working up the card. These are really the only two guys to do the tag team to IC to world title progression.

Yoko: Won the Rumble 2 1/2 months after his debut, headlined WM and won the title 4 1/2 months after his debut, a PPV win over Hogan 6 months in, headlined every PPV from his debut through Wrestlemania 10.

Austin: In reality he was positioned as the future foundation of the company 6-7 months after his debut, despite the hagiography that Vince saw nothing in him. There was certainly no denying his role and focus by early 1997, and the wait until WM 14 to win the title is actually surprising in the amount of restraint and patience Vince had in pulling that trigger. He would be an example of this had he won the WCW Championship, though.

Rock: Huge plans for him from day 1, as a face if he hadn't flopped Vince would have given him the strap in 1997 for sure. As it was, he was IC champ within 2 months of debuting, got to take over his own stable, and once leaving the stable was world champ in about 2 months. Total time from debut to top guy: 2 years.

HHH: Won all the mid card titles and shyt, but his actual main event push was super forced and out of nowhere and felt very unearned in and out of character. Took a good 2 years of heavily pushing him at the top of the card before people bought into him being a real top guy.

Brock: Biggest rocket push since Hogan. Debuted after WM, beats The Rock by Summerslam, face of Smackdown immediately despite only 2 years of experience.

Batista: Spent all of his time as a heavy for HHH, then wins the Rumble with very little singles experience and wins the title at WM.

John Cena: The attempt was made to make him a main eventer 2 years before it stuck as a face. It didn't work, and instead of discarding him as a failure, Vince tweaked and made him the face of the company for a decade.

I have to question a few of these, the ultimate warrior being a flop is largely overstated. I think because they couldn’t stand his ass they couldn’t wait for him to not do hogan numbers so they could get the title off of him. EVERYONE that I know that used to watch back in those days loved that dude. I never knew people didn’t like home until I started reading forum and watching behind the scene DVD’s

same goes for macho man, he was as much a top guy as hogan, he is considered the man amongst all old school fans. So hearing them bday he ran the “B” cities is hard to believe.

Cena was always over after he started rapping, in fact a lot of of people say once he became company man super face a lot of fans turned away from wrestling as a whole. So I don’t see how it didn’t “stick” for two years

And lastly, shyt can change, just because super pushes out the gate worked 100 years ago that doesn’t mean it’s the only way big stars are made. Back then we had no idea how long any of those guys were signed with wwe before they were given the push. Now a days you can see these guys work their entire career so a guy like AJ styles should have beat Jericho coming in and should have been given the belt early on. While a guy like Roman should have had atleast one Midcard title win before his super push. But romans issue is Roman not having the personality or move set to win people over. Atleast Cena was good on the mic

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I thought RVD would bring back popularity to the WWE similar to Stone Cold and The Rock.

HHH disagreed....but in retrospect, I don't think Rob would have done it anyway. :yeshrug:

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
i still don’t know why they don’t like him. He is the perfect monster heel to have Seth beat up on in Hiac matches and not waste the fiend on stupid finishes. He should have won king of the ring and went on a mid card run then and eventual championship match

I have to question a few of these, the ultimate warrior being a flop is largely overstated. I think because they couldn’t stand his ass they couldn’t wait for him to not do hogan numbers so they could get the title off of him. EVERYONE that I know that used to watch back in those days loved that dude. I never knew people didn’t like home until I started reading forum and watching behind the scene DVD’s

same goes for macho man, he was as much a top guy as hogan, he is considered the man amongst all old school fans. So hearing them bday he ran the “B” cities is hard to believe.

Cena was always over after he started rapping, in fact a lot of of people say once he became company man super face a lot of fans turned away from wrestling as a whole. So I don’t see how it didn’t “stick” for two years

And lastly, shyt can change, just because super pushes out the gate worked 100 years ago that doesn’t mean it’s the only way big stars are made. Back then we had no idea how long any of those guys were signed with wwe before they were given the push. Now a days you can see these guys work their entire career so a guy like AJ styles should have beat Jericho coming in and should have been given the belt early on. While a guy like Roman should have had atleast one Midcard title win before his super push. But romans issue is Roman not having the personality or move set to win people over. Atleast Cena was good on the mic

Warrior's title run was a flop financially. There were multiple reasons (the bubble had popped and the industry as a whole started decline at the same time he won the title, he was being booked with people who already had feuds with, Hogan was still treated as the main focus and main star, his gimmick had a shelf life and in their way of extending it he was basically just not on TV at all even doing promos for most of his reign) , some of which are his fault and some of which aren't, but his reign coincided with a big drop off and is why his reign was so short and it went back to Hogan.

As for Macho, I wasn't saying he main evented B shows as an insult. Most of 1985-1990, if Hogan wasn't on the card, Macho was in the headlining match. When Macho was champ, he was the headliner, and Hogan vs Macho was the main draw for house show loops at various times in 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1989.

The Cena thing....everyone seems to ignore the 2003 push after WM where he was doing house shows with Brock and beat Benoit/Rhyno/Taker/Rey/Eddie to get a PPV title shot against Brock and shyt the bed in all of the matches that no one cared about and was immediately sent to Velocity to feud with Funaki and Spanky :mjlol:Instead of giving up on him like he would anyone today, Vince just restarted the push and then put the entire company on his shoulders. :russ:

Rayzah

Daps
Warrior's title run was a flop financially. There were multiple reasons (the bubble had popped and the industry as a whole started decline at the same time he won the title, he was being booked with people who already had feuds with, Hogan was still treated as the main focus and main star, his gimmick had a shelf life and in their way of extending it he was basically just not on TV at all even doing promos for most of his reign) , some of which are his fault and some of which aren't, but his reign coincided with a big drop off and is why his reign was so short and it went back to Hogan.

As for Macho, I wasn't saying he main evented B shows as an insult. Most of 1985-1990, if Hogan wasn't on the card, Macho was in the headlining match. When Macho was champ, he was the headliner, and Hogan vs Macho was the main draw for house show loops at various times in 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1989.

The Cena thing....everyone seems to ignore the 2003 push after WM where he was doing house shows with Brock and beat Benoit/Rhyno/Taker/Rey/Eddie to get a PPV title shot against Brock and shyt the bed in all of the matches that no one cared about and was immediately sent to Velocity to feud with Funaki and Spanky :mjlol:Instead of giving up on him like he would anyone today, Vince just restarted the push and then put the entire company on his shoulders. :russ:

Yea I must not remember 03 much, but you right they turn on people quick now a days

and as for warrior, the 90’s was when things changed, he came in about 3-5 years too late