Spike Lee Co signs Fat Joe "Black People and Puerto Ricans created one of the great art forms ever! Together! In the bronx! Undisputed!"

GMoney

Nostalgia Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Abundance
One of the cultural documents of Black and Hispanic life (read: Puerto Ricans) at that time was Aaron Loves Angela.

Aaronang2.jpg

Unsurprisingly, it's about the dynamics of cultural differences and strife between Blacks and Puerto Ricans surrounding social intimacy circa the mid-70s.

GMoney

Nostalgia Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Abundance
I can't speak about the 70s cause I was a baby, but I remember the early 80s in the Bronx living in the projects.

It's true, that Ricans and Latino young men were listening to Hip-hop and they were at the parties at the time but even then a large portion of Latino's in NY were more into their own subgenre, Freestyle.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Cha Cha
giphy.gif

Merengue

The irony of the Salsa dance is that Salsa Dance (cuban mambo dance too, the precursor to salsa dance) was directly influenced by some of the same jazz dances that laid the groundwork for Afram bboying but Salsa dance didn't pick up some of the Tap elements that went into foundational bboying

when black people on twiiter the other day was pressing Ricans to post receipts from their dance culture that look like the roots to bboying, they couldn't find any

the only move I saw in an old mambo dance/salsa dance video was a floor sweep move that came right out of the Jazz dance vocab

Last edited:

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Listen. These Latinos have zero claims to hiphop in any way shape and form.

Jamaicans have even less.

I love that chins are getting checked out here. Lost all respect for Busta and Joe. Lost a lot of respect for FBA NY rappers that are too scared to speak on it.

Busta got put on by Chuck D and Native Tongues and them dudes quiet.

Same with DITC

Amo Husserl

Superstar
Daps

The irony of the Salsa dance is that Salsa Dance (cuban mambo dance too, the precursor to salsa dance) was directly influenced by some of the same jazz dances that laid the groundwork for Afram bboying but Salsa dance didn't pick up some of the Tap elements that went into foundational bboying

when black people on twiiter the other day was pressing Ricans to post receipts from their dance culture that look like the roots to bboying, they couldn't find any

the only move I saw in an old mambo dance/salsa dance video was a floor sweep move that came right out of the Jazz dance vocab

I left that out hoping someone would notice.

5KNI.gif

giphy.gif

864a54f87856e3d2e7185900555a5dc7.gif

FDNg.gif

Prince wasn't hip-hop, same influence.
prince-dance.gif

e62f3f9ec7d1_Gregory%20Hines%206.gif

Like I said in the other post, they emulated the culture, they are not the culture.
Their dances have more in common with Europe than Africa due to missing the percussive elements in the drums.
That's why I brought up Tito Puente earlier.

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
dude, why are you still playing dumb after I gave you quotes from the earliest Ricans in HipHop game explaining/detailing that they were influenced by various black (non-latin) pioneers before they entered the game, which obviously positioned them (Ricans) as followers rather than creators/originators?

Here's crazy legs calling in on Stars podcast about what he created (bringing breakdancing to the floor, spinning, propping up on elbow etc) and how black and Latinos learned from each other bboying

I have it on the Timestamp just click on it(1:17:45)

Is that not creation? Innovation? Latinos been here since day 1. We always been part of the culture in NYC, we grew up in it. You guys are in here trying to call us culture vultures and biters, when that can easily be said about any region outside of NYC who embraced hip hop afterwards

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Here's crazy legs calling in on Stars podcast about what he created (bringing breakdancing to the floor, spinning, propping up on elbow etc) and how black and Latinos learned from each other bboying

Is that not creation? Innovation? Latinos been here since day 1. We always been part of the culture in NYC, we grew up in it. You guys are in here trying to call us culture vultures and biters, when that can easily be said about any region outside of NYC who embraced hip hop afterwards

Bro, it's obvious you haven't read the mountain of evidence @IllmaticDelta & @TripleAgent have posted. PR's have NOT been there since day one; this is factual. NY AA's with Southern roots are the ones that created the culture and it wasn't till the late 70's when Latinos PARTICIPATED in the culture that was already established in the late 60's early 70's. Coke La Rock, hip hop's first emcee has stated on camera this as other pioneers & aas well as PR's who joined in later have said this. I don't know why you can't accept this

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
It has nothing to do with Tariq bro. It has everything to do with others trying to hijack or get participation awards for a Black art form & culture that was created specifically by AA's with roots in the South. There's too many people putting out misinformation whether intentionally or unintentionally that needs to be corrected & discussed
The irony of this post :mjlol:

You talk about others trying to take credit for playing a role in creating hip hop while trying to be slick and give the south credit for playing a role in creating hip hop :unimpressed:

I notice some of the most vocal posters on this subject not from NY or the east coast period. Y’all don’t ever post anything bout having any sense of unity with NYers but when it comes to hip hop now all of a sudden something created in NY is “our” creation :camby:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
The irony of this post :mjlol:

You talk about others trying to take credit for playing a role in creating hip hop while trying to be slick and give the south credit for playing a role in creating hip hop :unimpressed:

I notice some of the most vocal posters on this subject not from NY or the east coast period. Y’all don’t ever post anything bout having any sense of unity with NYers but when it comes to hip hop now all of a sudden something created in NY is “our” creation :camby:
First of all STFU Knicka lol because you know I'm from BK lol. Second, how am I giving the South credit? I'm being very specific with who created hip hop when I said AA NY'ers with roots in the South. Because it sure as hell wasn't Jamaicans or any other group that people have even been saying here

Topps

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Crazy Legs admitted that Black people created Hip Hop in that interview.

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
Crazy Legs admitted that Black people created Hip Hop in that interview.

He credited james brown and the funk movement. He also maintains that Latinos have been there since day 1 and goes into himself bringing breakdancing to the floor which cannot be be dismissed .

Every kid that grew up on hip hop and tried to break dance did what? I bet everyone here tried to spin on they back on the floor and spin they legs in the air....you were mimicking crazy legs! A Puerto rican!

The problem here is you guys are trying to label us culture vultures and thiefs when we been here the entire time, living and growing up in this culture

Topps

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He credited james brown and the funk movement. He also maintains that Latinos have been there since day 1 and goes into himself bringing breakdancing to the floor which cannot be be dismissed .

Every kid that grew up on hip hop and tried to break dance did what? I bet everyone here tried to spin on they back on the floor and spin they legs in the air....you were mimicking crazy legs! A Puerto rican!

The problem here is you guys are trying to label us culture vultures and thiefs when we been here the entire time, living and growing up in this culture

He didn't bring breakdancing to the floor. The original Bronxdale Boys(B-Boys) were already spinning on the floor. Everything Crazy Leg did was already being done.