Spike Lee Co signs Fat Joe "Black People and Puerto Ricans created one of the great art forms ever! Together! In the bronx! Undisputed!"

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ya gotta stop just saying anything

There is no lineal cultural progression from whatever that was, to hip hop or early rapping

There is one however from gospel hymns, from American toasting, hustlers convention, pigmeat etc
You learn nursery rhymes when your little
:ufdup:

The coli needs to stop saying hip hop started in the south.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Why don't you pull up all the other post where I talk about scaling back on the n word? I'm dominican, always acknowledged my african roots, and yep I used the N (igga) word regurlarly growing up. I grew up in Harlem and the bronx, it's part of the vocabulary growing up in NYC. Does it still come out every now and then. Yea it does, but I'm human so it is what it is :manny:

Aint no is what it is. Conditions have changed. Black ppl, some of whom im sure you would claim as 'your nikkas', are currently under a great deal of racially based stress. Locally, a great deal of that stress is meted out by people you identify with, ie 'taino'- colored latino cops calling ppl nikka.

So, if you got love for bp, consider that those not in your immediate friend group dont know the particular time and place we came up and may take grievous offense to your use of that word.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS

:mjlol: Its the cavalier ignorance for me...

Pigmeat Markham
Pigmeat Markham.jpg
BornDewey Markham
April 18, 1904
Durham, North Carolina, U.S.
DiedDecember 13, 1981 (aged 77)
The Bronx, New York, U.S

Ie, this exact man, a, whose proto- rap song "Here Come The Judge" was popular enough to reach 19 on the billboard charts in 1968, b, who followed the exact carolina- nyc path that 99% of our grandparents took, and c, WHO DIED IN THE BRONX and is buried at woodlawn :deadrose:, is somehow unrelated to the artform invented by his 'grandchildren' in this very same borough in the early 70s.

Yes, lets give shakespeare the credit. :mjpls:

:mjgrin: :mjgrin::mjgrin:

Topps

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

No one is saying that Hip Hop didn't come from New York. Hip Hop is the culture of the 5 elements all put together that originated out of the Bronxdale projects block parties of Disco King Mario & the Black Spades.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
This poster right here doesn’t even know history - stupid ass is in other threads praising Abraham Lincoln as the cac savior who freed the slaves and thinks the civil war was fought for the same reason instead of for economic purposes. This idiot didn’t when know Abe Lincoln’s plans to send all of the free black people to another land upon conclusion of the war whether it was survivable or not. Tf do you know about history??^^
:deadrose: :what:
Let’s not get into details before you get sonned again. Save your redundant gif for those who don’t know. Try that shyt with me again. Dub.

Ayo I just saw that post wtf :gucci:

Nah dude way out of bounds for that one :mjpls:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Why do y’all nikkas care so much about this shyt

There are plenty of photos of early 80s NYC of blacks and PRs tagging shyt, dancing and partying.

HipHop started in the early 1970s not the early 1980s. When early HipHop was going on (years before Herc was a dj by his own admission) in the 1970/1971, in areas/places of Black Spade domination,

10AKhqS.jpg

T3nBpu3.jpg

Z4gNfgc.jpg

srWbWVG.jpg

7s7VENG.jpg

EVvaL0Y.jpg

the same Tunnel Plaza is where the black spades used to do their "burning" dances while shouting Spade Power! No Puerto Ricans were there because that's Spade grounds

there were no masses of Rican youth involved in the early 1970s because the same ages that were into the gangs were exactly the same ages involved in the early hiphop scene. Rican and black youth at that time didn't rock with each other because there was both a cultural and racial element

The relative isolation which was influenced by gang activity, that Ricans had from blacks, is why large masses of them weren't around HipHop in its early stages

hokT2nz.jpg

431a5iQ.jpg

Last edited:

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
Aint no is what it is. Conditions have changed. Black ppl, some of whom im sure you would claim as 'your nikkas', are currently under a great deal of racially based stress. Locally, a great deal of that stress is meted out by people you identify with, ie 'taino'- colored latino cops calling ppl nikka.

So, if you got love for bp, consider that those not in your immediate friend group dont know the particular time and place we came up and may take grievous offense to your use of that word.

I was referring more to the post Nicole brought up. In recent years, I stopped using it in person altogether because I'm not going to be one to fight for the right to use that word, ive never had to be checked because i used the word but i saw how many ppl felt different online about dominicans saying it. but if you're going to bring up the times I said it in the past then IT IS what it is. I've been posting here for 10 years, since I was 25. I've said plenty of dumb shyt but it is what it is to me, people grow we all human.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Didn't know Latinos didn't exist in the bronx in the 1970s

They were in the Bronx but they kept to themselves for the most part.

For context

jrJX2mW.jpg

PbMgUC6.jpg

xmiuOwZ.jpg

bauza (cuban) called lighter skinned Ricans out on their bs

kVOi0h9.jpg

as you can see, lighter skinned Ricans (who thought they were white) was on some BS from the jump and this dynamic no doubt, still existed by the time hiphop was first emerging. Now, it's true that ricans and blacks had positive interactions prior to hiphop but as I explained before, that was all dependent on age, era and subculture. For example, there were numerous light and dark Ricans in Afram jazz bands going back to the 1920s NYC; in the 50's you had Ricans joining in Afram DooWop groups; in the 60s you had Ricans joining Afram poet societies and black power organizations but these Ricans didn't represent the average Rican at large.

The earliest Latins that came into HipHop make it clear that the two groups didn't really rock with each other that much at that time and that Ricans criticized the Rican youth that would eventually find their way into HipHop beginning in 1975

All that racial harmony aspect between blacks and puerto ricans in hiphop is more a product of the 1980s HipHop's origin myth; prior to that, these groups largely didn't associate with each other. Some quotes from the early Rican pioneers:

xARIpqx.jpg

ohocZ7z.jpg

bBoeekF.jpg

9ZomoLU.jpg

the black and rican ogs have made this very clear. Caz mentions it in the video below

Last edited:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thecoli clearly was arguing the people who contributed in the beginning of an artform dictate ownership. Regardless of how it evolves:mjlol:

I knew that would come back to bite them in the ass as Peurto Ricans contributed and would want to stake a claim lol.

I repeat hiphop didnt start out as a black genre,it was youth culture. And could be authentically performed by any race including whites and peurto ricans

So i could care less about peurto ricans staking a claim in early hiphop. It wasnt a black genre at that point. It evolved into a black genre later on due to the content. And has basically been a black genre ever since. And until whites and latinos can dominate ,without emmulating black people and black culture it will stay that way.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Thecoli clearly was arguing the people who contributed in the beginning of an artform dictate ownership. Regardless of how it evolves:mjlol:

I knew that would come back to bite them in the ass as Peurto Ricans contributed and would want to stake a claim lol.

I repeat hiphop didnt start out as a black genre,it was youth culture. And could be authentically performed by any race including whites and peurto ricans

So i could care less about peurto ricans staking a claim in early hiphop. It wasnt a black genre at that point. It evolved into a black genre later on due to the content. And has basically been a black genre ever since. And until whites and latinos can dominate ,without emmulating black people and black culture it will stay that way.

:mjlol: :camby:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

dude, stfu, you have no idea of what you're talking about. The OG Ricans have ALWAYS made it clear they came into a "black" subculture and their own people (Ricans) gave them a lot of flack over it

mr wiggles basically admits that ricans were like 2nd and 3rd generation bboys and the first bboys were all black

It's these Ricans that were born in the 1970s and later, like Fat Joe, that think they were there from the start, or co-creators, that need STFU and learn the true history by/from their own Rican OGs

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The problem with this entire debate is that hip hop isn't some invention that you can see and touch with your hands. You can't trace it back to one person and say he invented hip hop, it took many years and many different contributions before every aspect of what we know today came to fruition. NO ONE "owns" hip hop so there is no ownership.

Hip hop was a CULTURE created in NYC, where blacks and Latinos live side by side. It was a movement and Latinos were very much a part of that movement and always have been from the beginning. No one ever said you couldn't do it without us but to say we weren't always there is disingenuous. You guys are trying to rewrite history while not knowing the fabric of NYC, that's why majority of old NY heads like spike and Caz are telling you radical internet motherfukkers to fall back because ya don't know what you're talking about

Here's Caz addressing it again

Don't twist Caz's words, right after that video he said this:

"I commented on their (Ricans) contributions to HipHop but HipHop was/is an African-American thing, culturally" - Caz

Caz has stated the truth many times, I don't know why he's scared to say what he's said numerous times before

Caz was on a Nuyorican history docu (2006) saying w/o hesitation that the earliest bboys were all black and then ricans came in later after being influenced by them.

There was no blowback from the Rican pioneers in the docu because they knew it was 100% true

Spike Lee wasn't even there at the start of hiphop....dude is from brooklyn:beli:

Last edited:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
dude, stfu, you have no idea of what you're talking about. The OG Ricans have ALWAYS made it clear they came into a "black" subculture and their own people (Ricans) gave them a lot of flack over it

mr wiggles basically admits that ricans were like 2nd and 3rd generation bboys and the first bboys were all black

It's these Ricans that were born in the 1970s and later, like Fat Joe, that think they were there from the start, or co-creators, that need STFU and learn the true history by/from their own Rican OGs

You dont have to agree with my personal opinion,the ignore button isnt hard to find. Context is key,what were the ages of the peurto ricans telling him not to do "jungle bunny music"?Obviously there were young peurto ricans participating according to all the OG's. And according to Bambatta you had white youth participating. So your post doesnt negate it was a youth genre and not a black genre like I said. There was nothing inherently black about the content in early hiphop. You can say black people invented it. But that doesnt mean it was a black genre at the time. But most of you here lack nuance to understand the difference. Perhaps once you cool down and mature a bit.

This is why I dont have an issue with Peurto ricans discussing their role in early hiphop youth culture. Good for you,we thank you for your contributions. It wasnt a black genre at that time. But since hiphop has been a black genre peurto ricans have essentially contributed nothing of value:hubie:. I would argue whites have contributed more and even then its still a black genre. Yall just sound insecure as hell to me.

Now ,start your response off with an apology for disrespecting a black man,or dont bother. Always remember,the ignore button is one click away:respect: