Soo... Sony wants a Mario level IP.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Astrobot definitely has potential. I say partner with Travis Scott and take ASTROWORLD from him. Maybe even Utopia :yeshrug:
Sony already own his music and trademark lol
Actually, TI (yes, the rapper TI) owns more of Travis Scott music than Sony...

TI owns Travis Scott publishing with Universal, while TI and Epic Records own Travis Scott distribution. Either way TI is involved in all Travis Scott business, while Sony is only a portion of it

Cactus Jack Imprint(Travis Scott label), is also under Grand Hustle(TI label)/Epic, so even Travis Scott artists (like Don Toliver), TI is getting paid off them

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey
Actually, TI (yes, the rapper TI) owns more of Travis Scott music than Sony...

TI owns Travis Scott publishing with Universal, while TI and Epic Records own Travis Scott distribution. Either way TI is involved in all Travis Scott business, while Sony is only a portion of it

Cactus Jack Imprint(Travis Scott label), is also under Grand Hustle(TI label)/Epic, so even Travis Scott artists (like Don Toliver), TI is getting paid off them
I knew TI was getting paid for breh during the Rodeo days but man. He's still getting money from Travis :damn:I think Kany does to. I think he's under GOOD music as well as a producer.

And I thought Sony was King. Turns out TI was the one playing 5D chess:wow:Mess around and see that grand hustle logo on the next Astrobot game. Word to Young Dro:troll:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I knew TI was getting paid for breh during the Rodeo days but man. He's still getting money from Travis :damn:I think Kany does to. I think he's under GOOD music as well as a producer.

And I thought Sony was King. Turns out TI was the one playing 5D chess:wow:Mess around and see that grand hustle logo on the next Astrobot game. Word to Young Dro:troll:
yeah but I believe the GOOD Music signing is only as a producer, which Travis Scott does not do much of anymore

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Sony had many chances for this but never backed anything core fans was fukking with

Personally they should have got behind Tomba!
Not let Lara Croft get fukked over...
Ape Escape could have been pushed further.
.shyt Rayman too...Crash...Brave Fencer Musashi....etc.

It's too late...PS1 era was pumping out dope main characters

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
They don't invest in their mascots consistently. Passed around LBP to different devs until it losts all it's charm and innovation. Where is Jak and Daxter? People complain about Ninty miking franchises but they are constantly reinventing their IPs mechanically for new generations. They built mindshare from consistent quality work over decades.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
Nintendo? Yea. Xbox? Which IP?
Minecraft, tbh.

To answer the thread premise, Sony just wants something that is as beloved and enduring as Mario.

This doesn't mean a platformer, or a cutesy icon.

If the Mario movie was actually the Kirby movie and it made a billion dollars, he'd say exactly the same thing. Or Splatoon. Or Zelda. Or whatever.

Something that you automatically know it when you see it and it evokes joy just by being.

Kratos is cooler than Mario ever will be, yet I'm sure they'd toss the ash n toothpaste coated pimple into the trash if it meant getting Mario instead.

Mario with his hat, gloves and overalls + mustache.
Link with his green tunic and pointy cap.
Inklings with their racc00n eyes and weird teeth plus supersoaker guns.
Kirby with his sucking :dame: vacuum mechanic.

You know what you're looking at is THEM, which includes Nintendo as a brand.

That's what this guy is speaking on.

Kratos works as a mainstay yet he didn't make 15 years before he got a redesign.

People complain about kiddy Nintendo but their extremely stylized design allows them to retain much of the lineal cores of their iconic characters.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
In your opinion what makes an IP valuable? What makes it worthy of being deemed a “mascot” for a platform?

If anything the closest thing to a mascot Square Enix would have is Chocobo. If they actually put mroe effort into their chocobo games it would have become the default mascot for the brand.

Right now, when people think of SE they probably think of Cloud
Depends.

In Japan it's definitely a Slime, whereas yeah in the west it's definitely Cloud or Sora.

Red Money

All Star
Daps
true, but look at how touched people were with TLOU 1. Sony can do it if they start now. create the same magic but with an IP that grabs more than just mature audience.

Sony didn't have the foresight of cinematic narratives and couldn't stronghold their movie ips for gaming. James Bond, Spiderman, Hancock, men in black, Godzilla, Rocky, Rambo, Resident Evil, Ghostbusters, salt, robocop, smurfs etc.

They finally smartened up with spiderman. They need to smarten up with James Bond...that's the long standing sony franchise before anything Nintendo, lol. Sony needs to make the best James Bond game ever for PS5....period.

Granted creating out of the blue for the cinematics games late era PS3 was a great idea. But live by the three die by the three....still gotta take some layups with their movie ips.

Sony doesn't need the traditional cute platform character. They can't even get it right in movie form, lol. They need to make the movie first...they have that advantage over Nintendo. Sony can't even match Universal's few animated films.

Last edited:

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
Laura Croft was their chance. Also Cloud from FF7. Thats all that come to mind.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Sony didn't have the foresight of cinematic narratives and couldn't stronghold their movie ips for gaming. James Bond, Spiderman, Hancock, men in black, Godzilla, Rocky, Rambo, Resident Evil, Ghostbusters, salt, robocop, smurfs etc.

They finally smartened up with spiderman. They need to smarten up with James Bond...that's the long standing sony franchise before anything Nintendo, lol. Sony needs to make the best James Bond game ever for PS5....period.

Granted creating out of the blue for the cinematics games late era PS3 was a great idea. But live by the three die by the three....still gotta take some layups with their movie ips.

Sony doesn't need the traditional cute platform character. They can't even get it right in movie form, lol. They need to make the movie first...they have that advantage over Nintendo. Sony can't even match Universal's few animated films.

:what: james bond???? isnt that specifically all rights owned by MGM / Amazon now????