Soo... Sony wants a Mario level IP.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
larrychief.png

Larry Chief been washed but as usual, XBots think he still got the juice. shyt don't move units like that no mo.
All it takes it one all around great halo game and halo is bubbling.
Halo is almost a brand, but not quite. It could be, but instead its missing the mark. If this was any other game it would be a wrap, but halo 1-3 changed the game so much that it's still super relevant anytime something potentially big halo is announced.

Now they just need to scrap the show, and focus on halo/halo wars + books.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Chrono Trigger Chrono Cross is a valuable IP, Final Fantasy is a valuable IP, they have a history of valuable IPs they have just sat on, thats they point.
We can agree to disagree but the fact remains they have a history of IP that Sony could exploit in a purchase.

As for the initial point, leaks happen all the time to generate pressure, such as the early leaks of ATT buying Discovery before official word came down.

Breh, we talking about iconic, notable, and valuable IP, not anecdotal experiences with games from the 90s. We can all agree that Chrono Trigger is a goat game but as far as it’s reach today? It might as well not even exist. If anything Dragon Quest is more valuable than CT is.

I doubt chrono even with all the re-releases managed to crack 3m in sales

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Breh, we talking about iconic, notable, and valuable IP, not anecdotal experiences with games from the 90s. We can all agree that Chrono Trigger is a goat game but as far as it’s reach today? It might as well not even exist. If anything Dragon Quest is more valuable than CT is.

I doubt chrono even with all the re-releases managed to crack 3m in sale

Again on the valuation of the IP we will simply have to agree to disagree.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Again on the valuation of the IP we will simply have to agree to disagree.

In your opinion what makes an IP valuable? What makes it worthy of being deemed a “mascot” for a platform?

If anything the closest thing to a mascot Square Enix would have is Chocobo. If they actually put mroe effort into their chocobo games it would have become the default mascot for the brand.

Right now, when people think of SE they probably think of Cloud

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
In your opinion what makes an IP valuable? What makes it worthy of being deemed a “mascot” for a platform?

If anything the closest thing to a mascot Square Enix would have is Chocobo. If they actually put mroe effort into their chocobo games it would have become the default mascot for the brand.

Right now, when people think of SE they probably think of Cloud
What makes an IP valuable to me is brand recognition and brand loyalty.

drifter

Superstar
Daps
Closest thing they've got is Sackboy and they didn't do anything with him for a whole gen so idk. I don't think Astro or w.e. his name is is it either

I don't think it's that a new character can't be made like somebody said. I'm sure a focus group back in the day thought a video game about an italian plumber chasing a princess stealing gorilla around (the original Mario) was stupid now look

I don't think Sony has it in them to make one and that's fine since nobody but Sega has. Master Chief is nowhere near that space and Crash could never have a seat at that table

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Closest thing they've got is Sackboy and they didn't do anything with him for a whole gen so idk. I don't think Astro or w.e. his name is is it either

I don't think it's that a new character can't be made like somebody said. I'm sure a focus group back in the day thought a video game about an italian plumber chasing a princess stealing gorilla around (the original Mario) was stupid now look

I don't think Sony has it in them to make one and that's fine since nobody but Sega has. Master Chief is nowhere near that space and Crash could never have a seat at that table

Yeah, the games in Mario’s genre just aren’t that popular anymore. Mario himself is pretty much Japanese Mickey Mouse, no one is really going for that.

Its the same with Pokemon, its not like anyone else can put out what is essentially a turn based JRPG and have it sell 14 million copies in a week. But people don’t buy pokemon because its a JRPG they buy it because its Pokemon, same with Mario.

drifter

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, the games in Mario’s genre just aren’t that popular anymore. Mario himself is pretty much Japanese Mickey Mouse, no one is really going for that.

Its the same with Pokemon, its not like anyone else can put out what is essentially a turn based JRPG and have it sell 14 million copies in a week. But people don’t buy pokemon because its a JRPG they buy it because its Pokemon, same with Mario.
What I'm saying is Sony doesn't have an IP that can be a Mario level of commercial success and I don't think they can build and maintain one for decades like it took Mario & Sonic even if they did. They had a potential one in Sackboy and looks like he's been scrapped

They cleaned up a lot to be more friendly like every other brand in the world these days but their DNA is mature/dark themed, you can't have that fanfare playing mature. PS1 was "more powerful than than God" and PS2/PS3 had mature marketing material. That's what they do best, just like Nintendo can't come into the Rated M space tomorrow and out GOW Sony

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps

let anybody take Digimon from Bandai and I promise you...

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Sell the most hardware and still be greedy senpais

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Jak and Daxter could’ve been that if the sequels weren’t made for the audience that grew up on them