Soo... Sony wants a Mario level IP.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
I honestly do not see this in any gaming spheres these days. I would say TLOU alone is bigger than Halo
But you're missing a core point of my argument: these big mascots go BEYOND the gaming sphere. Halo Infinite flopped (which is a shame cause it's a solid shooter), but the franchise is much larger and recognizable to people outside of the gaming sphere. People still remember the heyday of Halo 2 & 3's midnight releases, the cosplaying, etc. It has a decently successful show on Paramount with another season coming, there's still a lot of merch out there getting sold.

TLOU isn't a "mascoty" series, nor is it meant to be.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
But you're missing a core point of my argument: these big mascots go BEYOND the gaming sphere. Halo Infinite flopped (which is a shame cause it's a solid shooter), but the franchise is much larger and recognizable to people outside of the gaming sphere. People still remember the heyday of Halo 2 & 3's midnight releases, the cosplaying, etc. It has a decently successful show on Paramount with another season coming, there's still a lot of merch out there getting sold.

TLOU isn't a "mascoty" series, nor is it meant to be.

I’m not talking about gaming either, yall are referencing shyt that happened 15-17 years ago. Thats an entire lifetime ago in terms of gaming. A entire new generation of gamers have emerged since then. The type of people that still see Master chief as this big mascot character are all 35+ years old. It’s not even close to being something representative of gaming anymore. Kids these days don’t think shooters and think Master Chief. There’s nothing outside of gaming that relates to halo but a tv series on paramount + a streaming network with like 30m subscribers.

Master Chief is synonymous with Xbox but xbox is kind of a dookie brand at the moment. It’s relevance will always be tied to xbox, it doesn’t penetrate pop culture beyond that

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
@Gizmo_Duck lives in a different world where they create their own narratives.

Halo infinite a “Bad” game that “flopped” had 25+ million players within a week or so.

There’s very few IP that garner that type of attention.

Not Kratos, Not Nathan Drake, not the Brolic chick from TLOU that i don’t even remember her name.

Halo toys this past Christmas were very sought after and sold out.

Books, Comic books, collectibles are always popular.

Halo show beat out Yellowstone and 1897 two of the biggest most talked about shows on TV right now.

This is a 22 year old franchise that people here consider “dead” putting up bigger numbers than most anything that comes out.

And that’s all because Master Chief has become an iconic character that’s transcended just gaming.

Sony doesn’t have a character like that. Kratos is close but he’s too fukkin mean and nasty. Don’t nobody wanna wear that dude on their boxer draws.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
@Gizmo_Duck lives in a different world where they create their own narratives.

Halo infinite a “Bad” game that “flopped” had 25+ million players within a week or so.

There’s very few IP that garner that type of attention.

Not Kratos, Not Nathan Drake, not the Brolic chick from TLOU that i don’t even remember her name.

Halo toys this past Christmas were very sought after and sold out.

Books, Comic books, collectibles are always popular.

Halo show beat out Yellowstone and 1897 two of the biggest most talked about shows on TV right now.

This is a 22 year old franchise that people here consider “dead” putting up bigger numbers than most anything that comes out.

And that’s all because Master Chief has become an iconic character that’s transcended just gaming.

Sony doesn’t have a character like that. Kratos is close but he’s too fukkin mean and nasty. Don’t nobody wanna wear that dude on their boxer draws.

Halo Infinite was a flop and that Tv show was bad, its yall who live in your own reality :mjlol:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
You can't just build that overnight. Nintendo have platinum plus IPs as they are heavy in the game, super tight on quality control and etched in peoples memories for generations.

That and you can only really have that type of impact in times of development when fields are new and lines are drawn. Look how many anthropomorphic mascots popped up around Sonic as a response to Mario and how many are around now.

They could, however, smash the game by creating an inverted parody of Mario aimed at a more mature audience but it would require a very creative team to not seem cliche and forced. No poochy.

I was SHOCKED when apple was able to get an exclusive mario game a couple years ago.

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
I think the time for Mario, Sonic esque character creation has long passed.
What Sony needs to do is continue making Ratchet & Clank games, dust off the likes of Sly Cooper, Jack & Daxter etc..
And start building and extending the genres of those IP in creative ways.
Nintendo IPs thrive because they can be as shallow and deep as you want them to be, which lends well to appealing to a very wide audience.
It’s gonna be a time and money sink that neither PlayStation nor Xbox will have an easy time doing considering both brands have cultivated an anti-Nintendo-esque identity.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
I was SHOCKED when apple was able to get an exclusive mario game a couple years ago.

Just another way for Nintendo to position their IP in front of a brand new audience. Quite clever as they ended up charging 10 bucks for an advert that pimped their platform if you want more of the real exclusives with their characters. They've got a great way of doing business and a very effective model that is built upon the strength of their IPs and brand recognition.

In many ways they wrote the book and know exactly what to do in order to exploit nostalgia or create new markets and that is what makes them interesting, even with the missteps. That and their games are just plain fun. Just like this thread shows, they innovate and others emulate.

Thing is, like I said, those days are done and they need to think different to compete in fresh ways. A virtual AI star avatar is the way but they need to make it engaging without obviously reaching.