Soo... Sony wants a Mario level IP.

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
ya know this really is an interesting thought and convo the more I think about it, how the fukk did Sony drop the ball on this..even Microsoft has Master Chief still

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
ya know this really is an interesting thought and convo the more I think about it, how the fukk did Sony drop the ball on this..even Microsoft has Master Chief still

Yall don’t make sense how is masterchief a bigger mascot than kratos, Nathan drake, Aloy, etc? Just because they put him on the box doesn’t make it a more valuable IP, which is what the thread is about. It’s literally the only real character Microsoft can associate with xbox pre-bethesda unless they just want to put a car on the box.

Its about IP that last for generations, sony already has that.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yall don’t make sense how is masterchief a bigger mascot than kratos, Nathan drake, Aloy, etc? Just because they put him on the box doesn’t make it a more valuable IP, which is what the thread is about. It’s literally the only real character Microsoft can associate with xbox pre-bethesda unless they just want to put a car on the box.

08692728-A3-B8-4-DED-AEF6-91978633-F790.png

Feverishly defend sony from their own words brehs. :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Halo 2 & 3 was bigger

Yeah, past tense nikka.

Halo 3 came out in 2007, thats a whole driving age teenager. As of right now microsoft doesn’t have one iconic or notable IP that actaully moves systems. halo holds no cultural relevance at all with most people. It’s not even a top 10 shooter anymore

My guy posting clips from the Man show era of tv :mjlol:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Masterchief is bigger than every single Playstation mascot including Kratos :yeshrug:
Masterchief might be slightly more popular than kratos, but kratos and god of war has been extremely popular since the ps2.

I don't know why yall acting like Sony doesn't have a single popular ip. What metrics are yall using to come to these conclusions?

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Sony don't got no ip that can be Mario level.

Next up for Nintendo should definitely be a Zelda flick..

then maybe Metroid

Daps
Reppin
Aaru
Yeah, past tense nikka.

Halo 3 came out in 2007, thats a whole driving age teenager. As of right now microsoft doesn’t have one iconic or notable IP that actaully moves systems. halo holds no cultural relevance at all with most people. It’s not even a top 10 shooter anymore

My guy posting clips from the Man show era of tv :mjlol:
Halo 2 and 3 still had a FAR bigger cultural impact than any Playstation game :yeshrug:

Halo 2 revolutionized online gaming on console so it's 10 top shooters of all-time off of that alone :yeshrug:

DaStangMan

Rookie
Bushed
Daps
my son loves that game they need to make a full game with that character first. But I just don't see Playstations appealing to young kids like that. Will never catch up to Mario or even Pikachu. Might take 30 years of consistency to build up a character like that.

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
Sony didn't have the foresight of cinematic narratives and couldn't stronghold their movie ips for gaming. James Bond, Spiderman, Hancock, men in black, Godzilla, Rocky, Rambo, Resident Evil, Ghostbusters, salt, robocop, smurfs etc.

They finally smartened up with spiderman. They need to smarten up with James Bond...that's the long standing sony franchise before anything Nintendo, lol. Sony needs to make the best James Bond game ever for PS5....period.

Granted creating out of the blue for the cinematics games late era PS3 was a great idea. But live by the three die by the three....still gotta take some layups with their movie ips.

Sony doesn't need the traditional cute platform character. They can't even get it right in movie form, lol. They need to make the movie first...they have that advantage over Nintendo. Sony can't even match Universal's few animated films.
Do they have the licence to even make James Bond?

The Broccoli's make the decision of who will make the game. Last I heard, IOI is making the next James Bond game.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition

Master Chief is significantly bigger than any major Sony franchise. He's definitely one of the biggest mascots in gaming. I think only Kratos is getting close, and that's a recent development.

When I think of a gaming "mascot", I think of a character that has transcended gaming. The character is in a movie or TV show, they're on t-shirts, there's people cosplaying as them, they've got comics/books etc. And while that's definitely happened to these headline Playstation franchises, it hasn't happened to them as much as it's happened to Halo.

And Mario is just on another level entirely, Sony and Microsoft will never have a Mario-level IP. Mario's competition is Mickey Mouse at this point.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Master Chief is significantly bigger than any major Sony franchise. He's definitely one of the biggest mascots in gaming.

I honestly do not see this in any gaming spheres these days. I would say TLOU alone is bigger than Halo

Master chief might still seem like a big deal to xbox fans but i doubt anyone outside of that really acknowledges him or that franchise these days. I think nostalgia is clouding some of your judgement for how big that brand is today

they barely even have the guy wearing the helmet in the tv show