Sonya Massey Reports Intruder and Is Killed In Her Own Home By Police

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps

Also discharged for serious misconduct in the Army. A career fukkup. Never saw action so can't even fromt like he had PTSD. He had CACTSD

A DEI hire

Sean Grayson was discharged from the Army for serious misconduct

by ABC News

7/25/2024 · 1:22 PM PDT

The Illinois deputy who fatally shot Sonya Massey in her home while responding to her 911 call was discharged from the U.S. Army for “misconduct (serious offense),” according to documents obtained by ABC News.

Sean Grayson, the former Sangamon County sheriff’s deputy, was discharged on February 24, 2016, after beginning service in the U.S. Army on May 5, 2014. He served for a total of one year, nine months and 19 days, Grayson’s certificate of discharge from active duty shows.

The U.S. Army, citing the Privacy Act and Department of Defense policy, said it is prevented from releasing information relating to the misconduct of low-level employees or characterization of service at discharge.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT

Grayson was a 91B (Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic) in the Regular Army from May 2014 to February 2016. He had no deployments and left the Army in the rank of private first class, according to an Army spokesman.

ABC News has also learned that Grayson, 30, was charged with two DUI offenses in Macoupin County, Illinois, in August 2015 and July 2016, according to court documents.

Grayson pleaded guilty to both charges. He paid over $1,320 in fines and had his vehicle impounded as a result of the 2015 incident. In 2016, Grayson paid over $2,400 in fines, according to court records.

Grayson's attorney, Dan Fultz, declined to comment.

According to employment records, Grayson was hired for his first known police job at the Pawnee Police Department in August 2020 and was fired from his most recent job as a sheriff’s deputy at the Sangamon County Sheriff’s Department after the July 6 deadly shooting of Massey, a 36-year-old unarmed Black woman and mother of two.

PHOTO: Former sheriff's deputy Sean Grayson was discharged from the army for serious misconduct, according to documents.Sangamon County Sheriffs Office

Grayson and a second, unnamed deputy responded to Massey’s 911 call reporting a possible intruder at her Springfield home.

Body camera footage released Monday shows Grayson yelling at Massey to put down a pot of boiling water.

The footage, reviewed by ABC News, shows Massey telling the two responding deputies “please don’t hurt me,” once she answered their knocks on her door.

Grayson responded, “I don’t want to hurt you, you called us.”

Later in the video, while inside Massey's home as she searched for her ID, Grayson pointed out a pot of boiling water on her stove and said, “we don’t need a fire while we’re in here."

Massey then poured the water into the sink and told the deputy, "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus."

Grayson threatened to shoot her, and Massey apologized and ducked down behind a counter, covering her face with what appears to be a red oven mitt. She briefly rose, and Grayson shot her three times in the face.

The footage is from the point of view of Grayson’s partner. Grayson did not turn on his own body camera until after the shooting, according to court documents.

A review by Illinois State Police found that Grayson was not justified in his use of deadly force.

Grayson, who is white, has pleaded not guilty to three counts of first-degree murder, aggravated battery with a firearm and official misconduct in Massey’s death.

The news of his discharge and DUI offenses comes days after it was revealed through Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB) records obtained by ABC News that Grayson worked for six law enforcement agencies over the last four years.

Grayson worked three full-time and three part-time jobs in four police departments and two sheriff’s offices over the past four years, all within the state of Illinois, according to ILETSB records.

Grayson held part-time jobs at the Pawnee Police Department from August 2020 to July 2021, the Kincaid Police Department from February 2021 to May 2021, and the Virden Police Department from May 2021 to December 2021.

He also held full-time jobs at the Auburn Police Department from July 2021 to May 2022, the Logan County Sheriff’s Office from May 2022 to April 2023, and the Sangamon County Sheriff’s Office from May 2023 to July 2024, according to IILETSB records. He moved around all six of these agencies between 2020 and 2024.

“It is clear that the deputy did not act as trained or in accordance with our standards. Therefore, Sean Grayson’s employment with the Sheriff's Office has been terminated,” Sangamon County Sheriff Jack Campbell wrote in a statement last week announcing Grayson’s termination.

The Kincaid Police Department told ABC News that Grayson was let go due to his refusal to live within 10 miles of Kincaid Village. They also said there were no allegations of wrongdoing against Grayson during his time with the department.

According to documents obtained by ABC News, Grayson left his part-time employment at the Pawnee Police Department to pursue a full-time position at the Auburn Police Department. His application to Pawnee Police Department also states that he had previously worked as security guard at Hospital Sisters Health System St. John's Hospital in Springfield, Illinois.

ABC News has reached out to the other police departments to learn why Grayson left, but has not yet received a response.

More from ABC News

Trump mocks Kamala Harris' name but her campaign is putting it front and center

The mystery of what happened to Susan Powell and her young sons' horrific deaths

Nevada Launches New Policy For Cars Used Less Than 50 Miles/Dayfinancewallet.org

Harvey Weinstein transferred to hospital, has COVID-19 and double pneumonia: Rep

Vance argued for higher tax rate on childless Americans in 2021 interview

Legal

Last edited:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
If dude got booted then I’m guessing it was an other than honorable discharge. He should’ve been looked into before being given a job in law enforcement.
he served two years got out as a Private Frist Class to anyone in the army I signals severe fukk up

I literally never heard of that happening.

The only way to not be at least an E-4 is to not pass PT Tests or have a DUI or something/

They wouldn't give you an other than honorable for being a fat ass so he did something that they wanted to low key cover up so they chaptered him problaly a Convience of the Government which could be anything from bedwetting to being a coward.

Dude was a 91B so he fixed humvees very hard to fukk up on that so I think he either got a DUI or something like that.

We had a chick who stole a HUMVEE in Korea sent to us to deploy and went AWOL 30 days before and called in alledgely before she would've been considered a deserter so she got a General discharge instead of a Bad conduct Discharge and a prison sentence.

The Army goes out of it way to not fukk you because it unlike the police force reflects on the leadership

For example you kill a civilian in a war zone you're leadership even if you werent there is questioned. In the Police they kill someone and no one asks questions about who trained him and who hired him.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I'm picking up after she said she rebukes them in the name of the Lord, while standing over the pot, with it resting on the counter, with her hands on the pot handle. Before she gets out the name, "Lord", he tells her she better not. Then tells her he would shoot her in the face. Then it sounded like she said, "alright", like she wasn't going to say it anymore. Then he pulls out his weapon. Then she says she's sorry, and slightly ducks for second, with her hands still on the pot handles for a second. He tells her the drop the pot. The very moment she heard him say "drop", she immediately let go of the pot, grabs her other mitten, covers both her ears, and ducks all the way down this time. He starts walking forward, and tells her to drop the pot again. She had no pot! He had to have seen the pot still sitting where she left it. We can't see it, because he's now blocking our view. No wonder she felt she had to get the pot off the counter, and show them she was going to spill it. At his point, she probably couldn't even speak anymore, as crazy as they were acting. And she also felt there wasn't anymore use trying to say anything to them, and just do what they wanted.

For people still saying she threw the pot at him, she didn't...she never even made the pot go airborne. When she slightly rose to get the pot off the counter, the pot she didn't have in the first place, she kept the pot at head level, plus she was still stooping. She kept the pot at head level, because she wanted them to see the pot from behind the counter, and she wanted them to see her spilling it to her left, so they could see the water once it reached the floor in front of them. But that demon shot her in the face at the same time she was trying to spill the pot, and the gunshot made the pot momentarily face them, making some want to believe she was throwing the pot at him. Anyway, that's when the pot left her hand. You can't see where the pot went after that.

Before she was shot, you can even see her turn her head to the left, trying to spill the pot in that direction. Now I see how she was shot in her left eye, and how the bullet exited her neck. This is also how some water wounded up in front of her, and to the left of her, where she intended.

This should all be very obvious after watching bodycam #2 in slow motion. Just watching it with sound should be enough to see how guilty that pig was, especially when you look at everything that transpired after he lost his cool.

It was messed up hearing him cursing at her, and threatening her like a hoodrat who had a weapon, while everybody else could see she was very religious. People like that are really wicked, and there's only one place for them.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
he served two years got out as a Private Frist Class to anyone in the army I signals severe fukk up

I literally never heard of that happening.

The only way to not be at least an E-4 is to not pass PT Tests or have a DUI or something/

They wouldn't give you an other than honorable for being a fat ass so he did something that they wanted to low key cover up so they chaptered him problaly a Convience of the Government which could be anything from bedwetting to being a coward.

Dude was a 91B so he fixed humvees very hard to fukk up on that so I think he either got a DUI or something like that.

We had a chick who stole a HUMVEE in Korea sent to us to deploy and went AWOL 30 days before and called in alledgely before she would've been considered a deserter so she got a General discharge instead of a Bad conduct Discharge and a prison sentence.

The Army goes out of it way to not fukk you because it unlike the police force reflects on the leadership

For example you kill a civilian in a war zone you're leadership even if you werent there is questioned. In the Police they kill someone and no one asks questions about who trained him and who hired him.
Damn that may be a key to purging shytty squads.

Like how you train 5 guys who ended up in bad shoots. Boot this dude, review records of everyone he trained and put everyone who came up under him on the watch list for 5 years

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
You need 51 votes to pass a bill. No one cares if a Republican wants to stall for 19 hours like Strom Thurmond.... it still takes 51 votes to pass a bill. Keep it open for debate til hell freezes over... That 60 vote filibuster you referring to is a cop out when Senators don't really want to do pass something.
All legislation isn't the same, bills such as the one you're specifying need 60.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
You need 51 votes to pass a bill. No one cares if a Republican wants to stall for 19 hours like Strom Thurmond.... it still takes 51 votes to pass a bill. Keep it open for debate til hell freezes over... That 60 vote filibuster you referring to is a cop out when Senators don't really want to do pass something.
All legislation isn't the same, bills such as the one need 60 unfortunately.

Anyway hope this cracks gets life fukk em

mag357

Superstar
Daps
This one hurts for some reason.

She's gone. I just want to see what happens next.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Something like this almost happened to me one night when I was very young, while I was hanging out with my closest buddy at the time. And it was by the hands of a Puerto Rican cop with a real bad rep. What made it so bad was, he looked just like former boxing champion Wilfred Benitez, the one Sugar Ray Leonard won his first title from. I mean they could have been twin brothers. I may be wrong, but years later, I think I know why this may have happened to me. First, this was in Palmer Park, MD, where Sugar Ray Leonard grew up, and learned to box. And this cop may have had a grudge against Palmer Park, since he was Puerto Rican like his look alike Benitez...they may have even being related. But we had so much respect for Benitez, that nobody would have suspected that this was why that cop was always using excessive force in this area, at least nobody in our age group would ever have suspected it. This incident happened to me about two years after Leonard won his belt from Benitez. Maybe I did suspect this rude treatment he was giving out in this area was connected, I can't remember.

Btw, the incident happened about four months after I beat up this brother, who sucker punched me one night, while I was sitting on a curb, having a beer, visiting my buddy in Palmer Park. I was jacking that brother up against a car pretty bad that summer night, and I heard a few girls crying...there was a lot of people outside that night. The car was the only thing holding him up. His buddy had to pull me off of him. It felt like it wasn't over yet, and that I may get jumped. My buddy was never much of a back up, so I got in my car to leave. But that dude I beat up, somehow made it back to my drivers window. He swung, and I punched him one last time. Then I got out my car, with my crowbar, and everybody spilt, except his buddy who pulled me off of him...he had a rep too. But he had enough sense not to step to me like he was crazy. Then I got back in my car, and finally took off, right when the PG police were pulling up. That was close. I think that Puerto Rican cop was one of them who came to the scene that day. Yes, he was a PG cop. Anybody from PG, know what was up with them back in the day, especially the White ones. I guess I was lucky until that Puerto Rican cop pulled up on me and my buddy about four months later, while we were in my car, drinking beer one cold winter night, while there was ice and snow still on the ground. We were in Kentland, the neighborhood next door. That was the first time I ever had a gun pulled on me in that way.

We were park behind this tractor trailer, that I think was sitting on cinder blocks. We chose that location because we didn't wanna be seen drinking in the car. Then that crazy Puerto Rican cop pulled up behind my car, made us get out the car, and emptied our 32 oz beer bottles (called bumpers back in the day). But for some reason, he wanted to mess with me. It was all ready cold that night, and like I said, there was still snow on the ground. So after he saw our ID's, he decided to make me put my hands against the trunk of my car, that nearly felt like ice. Then he started patting me down. As soon as I asked him if I could at least lift my hands off my trunk, because my hands were freezing, he got upset, and automatically kicked both of my legs apart, causing my chest to touch my trunk, and he put his gun up against the back of my head, and threatened to blow my brains out. Luckily I had on a thick winter coat, and my chest didn't get cold from leaning up against my trunk. Then he walked over to my car door, found my crowbar that I kept between my bucket seats, and tossed it in the woods. That's when I knew he was one of the cops that showed up that night I had to jack that brother up. But did he not know I was sucker punched that night. Or did he even care. I don't think he cared. I would like to think he was trying to teach me a lesson, to stop me from hanging in that bad neighborhood. But I'm from the hood. However, my family had move to an upper scale neighbor a year prior, and that address was on my drivers license. Maybe he was a little jealous of my neighborhood too, like so many where back then.

Or maybe it was because I was seeing this fine sister, who I had pregnant, who live a few blocks from where this happened that night. As a matter of fact, I was renting this room a block from where this happened, the same summer I jacked that brother up that night. I may have still been living there, I can't recall. I just know I had a girl pregnant, who I dated a month or two too long, dropped out of college, was depressed as h*ll, and shooting the blues about life with my buddy, who also dropped out of college after his freshman year, and who also wasn't going anywhere in life. He never really did get back on his feet. Back to that cop. Maybe he was jealous, because my daughters mother always looked heavily mixed, and a lot of people would mistake her for being a foreigner. But she was just like me, straight up from the hood...lol.

Now I know this here is a little bit of a reach, but I found out about 14 years ago, that I'm some kin to Sugar Ray Leonard. Maybe this cop, who looked just like Wilfred Benitez, sense that, especially if he heard how I jacked that brother up that night. And he subsciously identified me with Ray Leonard, and took some of his frustrations out on me, subconsciously sensing my cousin was the first to beat his look alike, or possible relative, Benitez, stopping him in the last round. Then again, that is a reach...lol.

Btw, many years later, I saw that cop one day. He was working in a liquor store, in that high scale Black neighborhood our family moved to, the same neighborhood we had recently moved to, when he pulled his gun on me for no reason that night. Evidently, they took him off the streets. I was with my brother that day in the liquor, and I told him who that cop was. My brother didn't like him one bit, once I told him that was the cop. I notice that cops face turned very guilty and shameful when I looked at him. I'm sure my brother gave him a mean look too. That cop had absolutely no probable cause that night whatsoever. And he sure had no right to search my car.

When I look at what this cop did to Sonya Massey, it reminds me very much of when that cop was pointing that gun to the back of my head that night, threatening to blow my brains out, for absolutely no reason. Anyway, her murder kinda got to me more as well, and not just because of what I went thru back in the day. She reminds me of somebody I knew. She was that girl who could never get on her feet, and could never keep a job for some reason, but everybody knew she was as harmless as a dove, with the heart of a child.

Last edited:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Damn that may be a key to purging shytty squads.

Like how you train 5 guys who ended up in bad shoots. Boot this dude, review records of everyone he trained and put everyone who came up under him on the watch list for 5 years
exaactly take Timoth Loemann the cac who killed the young brother Tamir Rice he did something at the range to make his trainers say he shouldn't be a cop.

Someone signed of on him to continue training and graduate the academy.

Then he was put on the streets where he assassinated a 12 year old.

All there needs to be is a little accountabilty and shyt would drastically stop

The difference is a cop is at the end of the day and entitled civil servant so unlike soldiers where there's an expected sense of attrition a cop's main bedrock foundation is that they go home and stay until they retire no matter if they collar a thousand criminals or they ride a desk their whole career with significant pay bumps annually forever.

You get authority without responsibility
maybe just maybe if you're in the emergency service with all that authority you may you know be willing to risk your life like an unpaid volunteer fireman does all the time.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Something like this almost happened to me one night when I was very young, while I was hanging out with my closest buddy at the time. And it was by the hands of a Puerto Rican cop with a real bad rep. What made it so bad was, he looked just like former boxing champion Wilfred Benitez, the one Sugar Ray Leonard won his first title from. I mean they could have been twin brothers. I may be wrong, but years later, I think I know why this may have happened to me. First, this was in Palmer Park, MD, where Sugar Ray Leonard grew up, and learned to box. And this cop may have had a grudge against Palmer Park, since he was Puerto Rican like his look alike Benitez...they may have even being related. But we had so much respect for Benitez, that nobody would have suspected that this was why that cop was always using excessive force in this area, at least nobody in our age group would ever have suspected it. This incident happened to me about two years after Leonard won his belt from Benitez. Maybe I did suspect this rude treatment he was giving out in this area was connected, I can't remember.

Btw, the incident happened about four months after I beat up this brother, who sucker punched me one night, while I was sitting on a curb, having a beer, visiting my buddy in Palmer Park. I was jacking that brother up against a car pretty bad that summer night, and I heard a few girls crying...there was a lot of people outside that night. The car was the only thing holding him up. His buddy had to pull me off of him. It felt like it wasn't over yet, and that I may get jumped. My buddy was never much of a back up, so I got in my car to leave. But that dude I beat up, somehow made it back to my drivers window. He swung, and I punched him one last time. Then I got out my car, with my crowbar, and everybody spilt, except his buddy who pulled me off of him...he had a rep too. But he had enough sense not to step to me like he was crazy. Then I got back in my car, and finally took off, right when the PG police were pulling up. That was close, I think that Puerto Rican cop was one of them. Yes, he was a PG cop. Anybody from PG, know what was up with them back in the day, especially the White ones. I guess I was lucky until that Puerto Rican cop pulled up on me and my buddy about four months later, while we were in my car, drinking beer one cold winter night, while there was ice and snow still on the ground, in the neighborhood next door. That was the first time I ever had a gun pulled on me in that way.

We were park behind this tractor trailer, that I think was sitting on cinder blocks. We chose that location because we didn't wanna be seen drinking in the car. Then that crazy Puerto Rican cop pulled up behind my car, made us get out the car, and emptied our 32 oz beer bottles (called bumpers back in the day). But for some reason, he wanted to mess with me. It was all ready cold that night, and like I said, there was still snow on the ground. So after he saw our ID's, he decided to make me put my hands against the trunk of my car, that nearly felt like ice. Then he started patting me down. As soon as I asked him if I could at least lift my hands off the trunk, because my hands were freezing, he got upset, and automatically kicked both of my legs apart, causing my chest to touch my trunk, and he put his gun up against the back of my head, and threatened to blow my brains out. Luckily I had on a thick winter coat, and my chest didn't get cold from leaning up against my trunk. Then he walked over to my car door, found my crowbar that I kept between my bucket seats, and tossed it in the woods. That's when I knew he was one of the cops that showed up that night I had to jack that brother up. But did he not know I was sucker punched that night. Or did he not care. I don't think he cared. I would like to think he was trying to teach me a lesson, and stop me from hanging in that bad neighborhood. But I'm from the hood. However, my family had move to an upper scale neighbor a year prior, and that address was on my drivers license. Maybe he was a little jealous of my neighborhood too, like so many where back then.

Or maybe it was because I was seeing this fine sister, who I had pregnant, who live a few blocks from where this happened that night. As a matter of fact, I was renting this room a block from where this happened, the same summer I jacked that brother up that night. I may have still been living there, I can't recall. I just know I had a girl pregnant, who I dated a month or two too long, dropped out of college, was depressed as h*ll, and shooting the blues about life with my buddy, who also dropped out of college after his freshman year, and who also wasn't going nowhere in life. He never really did get back on his feet. Back to that cop. Maybe he was jealous, because my daughters mothers always looked heavily mixed, and a lot of people would mistake her for being a foreigner. But she was just like me, straight up from the hood...lol.

Now I know this here is a little bit of a reach, but I found out about 14 years ago, that I'm some kin to Sugar Ray Leonard. Maybe this cop, who looked just like Wilfred Benitez, sense that, especially if he heard how I jacked that brother up that night. And he subsciously identified me with Ray Leonard, and took some of his frustrations out on me, sensing my cousin was the first to beat his look alike, or possible relative, Benitez, stopping him in the last round. Then again, that is a reach...lol.

Btw, many years later, I saw that cop one day. He was working in a liquor store, in that high scale Black neighborhood our family moved to, the same neighbor we had recently moved to, when he pulled his gun on me for no reason that night. Evidently, they took him off the streets. I was with my brother that day, and I told him who that cop was. My brother didn't like him one bit. I notice this cops face turned very guilty when I looked at him. I'm sure my brother gave him a mean look too. He had absolutely no probable cause that night whatsoever. And he sure had no right to search my car.

When I look at what this cop did to Sonya Massey, it reminds me very much of when that cop was pointing that gun to the back of my head, threatening to blow my brains out, for absolutely nothing. Anyway, her murder kinda got to me more as well, and not just because of what I went thru back in the day. She reminds me of somebody I knew. She was that girl who could never get on her feet, and could never keep a job for some reason, but everybody knew she was as harmless as a dove, with the heart of a child.
I'm damn familar with Palmer Park as I lived right up 202 in Landover

I'm old enough to remember the old P.G. Don't Play era before Jack Johnson kinda put the kibosh on it by prosecuting egregious examples of brutality

But the other they beat your ass not killed you *usually* so maybe that was a blessing.

Sorry that bullshyt happened to you.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
exaactly take Timoth Loemann the cac who killed the young brother Tamir Rice he did something at the range to make his trainers say he shouldn't be a cop.

Someone signed of on him to continue training and graduate the academy.

Then he was put on the streets where he assassinated a 12 year old.

All there needs to be is a little accountabilty and shyt would drastically stop

The difference is a cop is at the end of the day and entitled civil servant so unlike soldiers where there's an expected sense of attrition a cop's main bedrock foundation is that they go home and stay until they retire no matter if they collar a thousand criminals or they ride a desk their whole career with significant pay bumps annually forever.

You get authority without responsibility
maybe just maybe if you're in the emergency service with all that authority you may you know be willing to risk your life like an unpaid volunteer fireman does all the time.
Unfortunately this won't be the end. Fewer people want to join law enforcement, many in the old guard are quitting because of the new mandates so they're scraping the bottom of the barrel of humanity to get recruits in the door. Like straight up former gang members and people that couldn't pass the older school psyche evaluations.

The goons aren't getting any nicer and the opiate/fentanyl crisis/pandemic is bringing the old violence back.

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I'm damn familar with Palmer Park as I lived right up 202 in Landover

I'm old enough to remember the old P.G. Don't Play era before Jack Johnson kinda put the kibosh on it by prosecuting egregious examples of brutality

But the other they beat your ass not killed you *usually* so maybe that was a blessing.

Sorry that bullshyt happened to you.
Thanks.

Do you remember Terrence Johnson, the 15 year-old who shot and killed those two White policemen in the basement of the PG county police station in Hyattsville. He said one of them was beating him, and he somehow got his gun out his holster and went off, shooting him in the chest. He then ran, and didn't remember shooting the other cop. They said when they subdued him, he was still pulling the trigger with no bullets. He was found guilty on manslaughter for killing the first cop, and innocent by temporary insanity for killing the second cop.

His father lived in Palmer Park, and his mother lived in Bladensburg.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Thanks.

Do you remember Terrence Johnson, the 15 year-old who shot and killed those two White policemen in the basement of the PG county police station in Hyattsville. He said one of them was beating him, and he somehow got his gun out his holster and went off, shooting him in the chest. He then ran, and didn't remember shooting the other cop. They said when they subdued him, he was still pulling the trigger with no bullets. He was found guilty on manslaughter for killing the first cop, and innocent by temporary insanity for killing the second cop.

His father lived in Palmer Park, and his mother lived in Bladensburg.
yeah any old school DC cat remembers that.

Tragic what happened to him

Amazing how times can change again PG or no place is perfect but a majority of the old school redneck ass kickers are gone.

I can't imagine a white PG country executive now.