Sony warns of weaker PlayStation business as game sales wobble

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Gaming revenue in general was down this quarter. I think the issue is that GaaS is blowing up and many stick to GaaS they're invested in and are gravitating toward a sub-service. I think This is why Sony is investing heavily into GaaS with the studios they've partnered with or have acquired.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Gaming revenue in general was down this quarter. I think the issue is that GaaS is blowing up and many stick to GaaS they're invested in and are gravitating toward a sub-service. I think This is why Sony is investing heavily into GaaS with the studios they've partnered with or have acquired.

I’m riding the single player train train till its off the tracks. I feel theres just too many people, (especially younger people) spending too much time and money in F2P/Service games for it to not completely take over.

Sony and a handful of japanese publishers are the only ones still putting out big single player games. Its like hip hop, us old heads want bars still but young people don’t care they just wanna sing about drug addictions over trap beats.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Revenue has been down around the board but gamepass continues to grow

The rest is moreso just analytical thinking, feel free to say I'm wrong. I didn't say the industry is collapsing, just that it's changing. The industry is pushing people to buy less games, and rather just buy certain kinds of games and just spend money on them. Twitch grows yearly and that's been the go-to place for people to watch others play.

A lot of kids in particular that I know personally only play a handful of games and watch streamers play other games. I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

what a horrible future for video games this is :scust:

they really pushing us older brehs away:mjcry:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
forget all the stan wars shyt, this reads like a market shift.
now all of the companies have to adapt.

A market shift towards what? All this says is that they released no big games in spring, supply is still constrained, and the market is returning to pre-covid levels of engagement

Yall are doing a bunch of unnecessary guesswork for something that is clearly written out. When in doubt just refer to Daniel Ahmad (zhuge) as he’s the only one really doing any real work analyzing game sales data and not just putting out clickbait headlines

Also, Mat Piscatella of NPD

Last edited:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I’m riding the single player train train till its off the tracks. I feel theres just too many people, (especially younger people) spending too much time and money in F2P/Service games for it to not completely take over.

Sony and a handful of japanese publishers are the only ones still putting out big single player games. Its like hip hop, us old heads want bars still but young people don’t care they just wanna sing about drug addictions over trap beats.
I don't think devs will stop making single player games, but I feel for the most part AAA single player games sale have been declining unless a mega blockbuster. I do feel the younger generation taste in games is vastly different than ours since they grew up with GaaS and Twitch. I do feel game subscriptions are the future and even some of my friends that didn't understand gamepass seem to be enjoying the new PS+ tiers.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't think devs will stop making single player games, but I feel for the most part AAA single player games sale have been declining unless a mega blockbuster. I do feel the younger generation taste in games is vastly different than ours since they grew up with GaaS and Twitch. I do feel game subscriptions are the future and even some of my friends that didn't understand gamepass seem to be enjoying the new PS+ tiers.

Yeah, eventually budgets are gonna decrease for single player stuff or they are gonna find other ways to monetize them. Thats why i gotta cheerlead sony and their games because it’s gonna be last of its kind. I can’t even think of a lot of big third party single player games anymore outside of capcom and square enix.

I bet once we stop getting the single player “blockbuster” games people are gonna cry about how we don’t get them anymore and that everything cost so much money to play.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, eventually budgets are gonna decrease for single player stuff or they are gonna find other ways to monetize them. Thats why i gotta cheerlead sony and their games because it’s gonna be last of its kind. I can’t even think of a lot of big third party single player games anymore outside of capcom and square enix.

I bet once we stop getting the single player “blockbuster” games people are gonna cry about how we don’t get them anymore and that everything cost so much money to play.
Trying to think of western AAA games that aren't from Sony and it's very hard. The only developer I can think of at the moment is Bethesda, and I guess Ubisoft but their quality is meh tbh. I do see EA shifting a bit towards single player with Jedi Fallen Order and Dead Space remake. However it does seem most AAA single player games are coming from Sony studios and Japanese developers

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
We on the verge of a gaming collapse and companies do not realize the shyt.
Kinda like the gaming crash 1983. Basically Atari was pushing out games on the market that had no appeal to them and they kept flooding the market w/bullshyt until they dropped E.T. and that was the straw to break the camel's back.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Trying to think of western AAA games that aren't from Sony and it's very hard. The only developer I can think of at the moment is Bethesda, and I guess Ubisoft but their quality is meh tbh. I do see EA shifting a bit towards single player with Jedi Fallen Order and Dead Space remake. However it does seem most AAA single player games are coming from Sony studios and Japanese developers

Yeah, and if you’ve been keeping up with ubisoft news it seems they are transitioning all their big franchises to service-on going games. Assassins Creed, Far Cry, and the Division are all going that route.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see what EA do. Hopefully the new Star Wars and Dragon Age do well. I think Respawn are making another single player FPS also

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This isn’t true at all. There’s lots of western studios releasing and working on single player games.