Sony posts 1.25B loss for 2013 Playstation loss 78M

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mindblown: where are you getting your numbers from? Playstation posted a loss of 78M
I know that. I was talking about the third quarter ending Dec.2013. The latest report you posted is comparing the operating loss now to the operating income from the last fiscal year. I'm just talking about what was going on lately with the PS4 sales profit from last quarter.

Either way I'm not really up for discussing something I'm not well versed in so I'll leave it at that. No need for us to try and be armchair businessman. Makes it look silly.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I know that. I was talking about the third quarter ending Dec.2013. The latest report you posted is comparing the operating loss now to the operating income from the last fiscal year. I'm just talking about what was going on lately with the PS4 sales profit from last quarter.

That would be sales revenue, not "profit"

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Everyone knows the areas that are killing Sony right now.

Consumer Electronics (tvs, audio video shyt)
PCs (over half of the loss was in the Mobile Products and Communication division)
Storage Media and components (batteries, semiconductors, recording media)

Everywhere else is fine.
Cameras
Mobile
Playstation Brand
Music
Insurance

I know some of yall nikkaz don't even know what a financial report is, so carry on.

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
how does this even work out tho? ps3 was still selling more than the xbox ones whenever i would go to a store or check a website. i'm not even including the 4. is sony selling the consoles too cheap? taking a loss on their own end?

Every business incurs a loss at first when selling a new product

It costs money to make the fukking product u dumb fukks

Don't understand basic business brehs

@MeachTheMonster @Hiphoplives4eva @AkaDemiK

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

PCs (over half of the loss was in the Mobile Products and Communication division)

Everywhere else is fine.
Cameras
Mobile
Playstation Brand
Music
Insurance

I know some of yall nikkaz don't even know what a financial report is, so carry on.

cameras though? :patrice: cameras cant possibly be a good business in 2014. sony isnt a big player in mobile in the US, might be different around the world

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
The article is full shyt. Nobody said anything about selling Xbox.

Bill gates answered a question about SPINNING-OFF Xbox by saying he doesn't think it will happen because its integral to their plans going forward.

When pressed again for an answer he said he would support the ceo's decision if she chose to do so.

Furthermore you said:

Even your full of shyt article didn't make this claim.

But you already knew that. Reality doesn't sound as juicy as misinformation so y'all always run with the false narratives.

Sony Stans:scusthov:

Did you read the article? Did you even see the title? Stop sparring words. Talks have been going on internally to sell off Bing/xbox. Gates said he would support the decision if that happen, which means if he was still CEO he would do it if presented the opportunity. So he didn't verbatim say he would definitely sell the gaming division. You got me there:rudy: Read between the lines. And lets conveniently ignore quotes from other CEOs saying they would sell:sas2:

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
What the fukk is Sony doing with the Vita? :snoop:
7 million portable gaming consoles shipped and the number includes PSP sales :what: Its about to get passed by the Wii U if it hasn't already. Please stop bullshytting and get some notable 1st party games on this system.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Did you read the article? Did you even see the title? Stop sparring words. Talks have been going on internally to sell off Bing/xbox. Gates said he would support the decision if that happen, which means if he was still CEO he would do it if presented the opportunity. So he didn't verbatim say he would definitely sell the gaming division. You got me there:rudy: Read between the lines. And lets conveniently ignore quotes from other CEOs saying they would sell:sas2:

Once again NOTHING in that article or bill gates quotes says anything about selling the Xbox division. Its all talking about spinning it off but still retaining ownership

And without the spin that article put on the quote, it's just him saying he supports the CEO. They could have asked him any question and he would have answered the same "yes I support the ceo's decision making"

That's the answer he should give, you'll never hear him publicly saying he does not support the CEO. But his first response to the question was saying Xbox and bing are integral to the companies plans going forward.

Your talking about ignoring quotes. Why are you ignoring that one?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
cameras though? :patrice: cameras cant possibly be a good business in 2014. sony isnt a big player in mobile in the US, might be different around the world

Sony mobile worldwide is strong. Their cameras as well. It's right there in the report.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps

Everywhere else is fine.
Cameras
Mobile
Playstation Brand
Music
Insurance

They really need to get those overpriced ass viaos out of the market man

Some people were actually recommending those many years back over macbooks :silvugh:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:usure:

People in photography and cinematography aren't relying on cell phone cameras.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
A trusted business tech financial insider named zomgbbqftw, posted the following on another forum:

thenexus6 said:
I don't understand how a company can keep on going after so many years of losing money
zomgbbqftw said:
Critically, the core business is actually marginally profitable and they decreased their net indebtedness by around $500m over the year and increased their revolving finance facilities to over $7bn (access to money if they need it, Moody's am cry). A lot of the losses over the last few years have been paper losses, asset impairments, DTA write downs and such. What that means is money either spent in the past or in the case of a DTA, the asset taken on for tax losses carried forwards, are now being written off as they are not going to get that money back. They spent the money, previously and now they won't get it back through their normal operations.

It is a huge difference to a company that actually loses money outright where their normal operations cost more than the revenue they generate from sales. Nintendo are in this category which is why their situation seems worse than Sony's and they don't really have a clear path to recovery like Sony (getting rid of the TV division) because their problems stem from deeper issues such as smartphones killing their handheld business and being stupidly uncompetitive in the home console market.

For all their current faults, Sony still have a profitable smartphones division, a hugely profitable financial services division, their content division (pictures+music) reliably makes $1bn per year in operating profit and their games division seems to be recovering very nicely after the PS3 caused so much turmoil. In essence if they jettison the TV division they would be pretty healthy and though they would hold a significant amount of debt but they would be profitable, more than enough to redeem bonds and meet their financial obligations. I guess the issue is that it has cost Sony $1.7bn to exit PCs and I expect the cost of exiting TVs would be double because all 30,000 employees would need paying off and the losses on current stock and contracts would need to be written off.

Essentially, though it is true they lose money, a lot of it is on paper, and the core business is generating cash.

Raist said:
They should get rid of the mobile division. It's a lost cause and bleeding money
zomgbbqftw said:
The part of it that loses money (PC) just got chopped. The smartphones and tablets are profitable.

:win: Like I mentioned in past threads, now that they have sold of the PC business, they just need to figure out what they gonna go with the TV division, and they good.