Sony plunged $10 billion after its PS5 sales cut. But a bigger issue is its near decade low games margin

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Everyone will be fully multiplatform in less than 5 years besides Nintendo. And yes if publish on pc you're multiplatform
Define fully multiplatform. Xbox develops PC, Xbox, and PlayStation games so they are and Sony supports PlayStation, PC, and seemingly reluctantly Xbox.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
It's not random speculation. PlayStation management wanted nothing to do with it. The fact that they don't publish MLB the Show on Xbox and the fact that Bungie will self-publish multiplatform games on Xbox is living proof.
I don't believe this is the case, playstation management would love to take 30% from Xbox, what's more likely the case is the licensing allows MLB to publish

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Define fully multiplatform. Xbox develops PC, Xbox, and PlayStation games so they are and Sony supports PlayStation, PC, and seemingly reluctantly Xbox.
Publishing games outside of your ecosystem onto others ( windows store& Xbox and playstation)

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
MLB has to publish it because Sony isn't interested in publishing.

MLB's concern was not profitability, it was the reach of the MLB brand. I think Sony knows the video game business better than MLB. They clearly were willing to port a few of their games to PC. If the cost-benefit analysis were good enough for Sony to port The Show to PC, they would have done it. MLB isn't doing any of that math and doesn't care. They just want their game everywhere.

The fact that Sony told them to publish that shyt themselves is evidence that they wouldn't have done it on their own. But keep thinking that you, Meach, and Rob Manfred know more about the business of video games than Sony does. :mjlol:
So let me get this straight.

MLB told sony they game had to go to xbox.

Sony agreed to develop the game for xbox, but stipulated they won’t publish it and collect money from game sales.

So the game is coming multiplat regardless, sony has to spend their own money/resources to make the xbox version but sony opted out of free money cause they don’t like xbox?

You think that was their decision?

And i’m supposed to be the one that doesn’t understand business?? :wow:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So let me get this straight.

MLB told sony they game had to go to xbox.

Sony agreed to develop the game for xbox, but stipulated they won’t publish it and collect money from game sales.

So the game is coming multiplat regardless, sony has to spend their own money/resources to make the xbox version but sony opted out of free money cause they don’t like xbox?

You think that was their decision?

And i’m supposed to be the one that doesn’t understand business?? :wow:
I would imagine and this is pure speculation that Sony is compensated for the multiplatform development but it ends there. Either they got a more favorable license or are paid to port the game but they don't benefit from the game beyond that. Effectively paid to make MLB an Xbox port that they do what they please with it and Sony has no say because you already know if they did it wouldn't be on Game Pass every year.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's a mental illness, boys think everything is some console war from 1990 that these companies making a "stand " and refusing to profit off of publishing:mjlol:
Everything isn't about short term money making. Some of it is about power and control. Companies want to assert their own dominance and further it. Sometimes that involves making decisions that in the short term don't seem to have immediate financial benefits.

Sony clearly doesn't want to further another company's platform when it is the antithesis to what they're doing. Hell they won't even put games on Nintendo's platform and that's borderline neutral to them. I often wonder why Sony and Nintendo didn't enter a quid pro quo relationship on portables and consoles.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
You think a company that has been losing money on hardware since it got in the game hasn't been brainstorming on how to subsidize that? Or eliminate it completely...

The success of Minecraft year after year was probably key in them pulling the trigger on multi platform support.

Once gamepass added day and date games and play anywhere it was a clear indicator that they wanted to take the onus off hardware and focus on software, subscription and flexibility.

That doesn't mean hardware is going away like people want to try and spew. It just means they not trying to make pennies on the dollar with hardware profits at some point hopefully if they can sell enough of everything.

Xbox has been trying to snatch the start of the digital era of games since the xb1. Problem is they were way to early for most people to be comfortable with and didn't have the games to convince people to give it a fair shake.

Even then they had identified
-paying for triple A 3rd party exclusives wasn't worth it for an IP you do not own.

- digital was the future and across all platforms not just a single console.
-subscriptions we're going to be key.

And what you saw was a dry later half of the generation as they started to pivot from hardware and exclusives to ownership, gamepass, multi platform strategy.

qmmigivuyt591.gif

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I would imagine and this is pure speculation that Sony is compensated for the multiplatform development but it ends there. Either they got a more favorable license or are paid to port the game but they don't benefit from the game beyond that. Effectively paid to make MLB an Xbox port that they do what they please with it and Sony has no say because you already know if they did it wouldn't be on Game Pass every year.
:ohhh: so they chose money over console wars

Crazy :wow:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Everything isn't about short term money making. Some of it is about power and control. Companies want to assert their own dominance and further it. Sometimes that involves making decisions that in the short term don't seem to have immediate financial benefits.

Sony clearly doesn't want to further another company's platform when it is the antithesis to what they're doing. Hell they won't even put games on Nintendo's platform and that's borderline neutral to them. I often wonder why Sony and Nintendo didn't enter a quid pro quo relationship on portables and consoles.
But the game is coming to xbox regardless.

What dominance are they really asserting by not collecting 30% of xbox sales.

nikkas really think sony execs are irrational sony stans :mjlol: