Sony introduces the world to Next Gen

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Yup.

What epic said is needed to run this demo first and foremost is “a very large number of teraflops”

That's my main point and what I've said in detail elsewhere, keep thinking that Sony has revitalized computing through a hard drive. If it were that simple, we would have seen this decades ago. I'll give the PR credit though, it seems to work.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That's my main point and what I've said in detail elsewhere, keep thinking that Sony has revitalized computing through a hard drive. If it were that simple, we would have seen this decades ago. I'll give the PR credit though, it seems to work.
Sony stans just run with the marketing despite any real common sense.

Last 3 gen Sony has marketed their perceived advantage as the only thing that matters

PS3 was the CPU
PS4 was the GPU and ram

Series X beats PS5 in all three of those categories so now for PS5 its the SSD that’s most important.

Sony stans still think the Cell is more powerful than current CPUs :mjlol:

Crazy part is Sony don’t even have to do the Marketing. Stans do it for them.

Sony literally had nothing to do with the event yesterday yet this thread is titled “ Sony introduces....”

nikkas is crazy breh :mjlol:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sony stans just run with the marketing despite any real common sense.

Last 3 gen Sony has marketed their perceived advantage as the only thing that matters

PS3 was the CPU
PS4 was the GPU and ram

Series X beats PS5 in all three of those categories so now for PS5 its the SSD that’s most important.

Sony stans still think the Cell is more powerful than current CPUs :mjlol:

Crazy part is Sony don’t even have to do the Marketing. Stans do it for them.

Sony literally had nothing to do with the event yesterday yet this thread is titled “ Sony introduces....”

nikkas is crazy breh :mjlol:

Exactly....

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin

He's got a point breh

PS2 - Emotion Engine (Unnecessarily complicated)
PS3 - Cell (Unnecessarily complicated)
PS4 - DDR4 Ram (This did help though here)
PS5 - SSD (TBD)

This is a multiplatform engine, Sony has some sort of relationship with Epic. Epic showed off Unreal Engine 4 on the PS4. What I now fear is that Epic has set the expectation in a way that every game is supposed to look like that or so will think casuals. They won't and people will be disappointed. Epic has all that Fortnite money to be able to do this. They have an engine to sell so of course they will have the best going on. Other companies? Nah.

Daps
He's got a point breh

PS5 - SSD (TBD)

This is a multiplatform engine, Sony has some sort of relationship with Epic. Epic showed off Unreal Engine 4 on the PS4. What I now fear is that Epic has set the expectation in a way that every game is supposed to look like that or so will think casuals. They won't and people will be disappointed. Epic has all that Fortnite money to be able to do this. They have an engine to sell so of course they will have the best going on. Other companies? Nah.
That's what I want to know
Will games look like this from launch or 4 years from now?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Downplaying SSD again. Plenty of third party devs have commented how this has plagued game design for generations and now you're making it look like SSD's being in consoles isn't some sort of win. How would this had been done "decades" ago if the tech wasn't even available and ready?
You saying the PR works but the same PR on Xbox is making it seem like if it ain't 12TF it ain't next gen. Nobody is saying GPU doesn't matter, the GPU delta between PS5 and XsX is not this gargantuan gap that will result in visibly inferior games.

This is one of the third party dev's post on this:
What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though.
Third party devs too

But this is just apparently a big PR stunt by third party devs in on it(except for the 3rd party devs that would be said to be in on a 12TF campaign too!)
better GPU/CPU has always been the norm each gen but since Sony invested more in this, the other side will deny it's benefits because their side is seen as lesser in that area.

Ironic thing is you saying Meach has a point but then he makes up something completely off the mark but you ignore that(him saying stans believe the cell is more powerful than "current CPUs".)

I mean the bias is easily seen here. It's like y'all take any perceived praise of the PS5 SSD as a slight against XsX's GPU. Nobody is saying GPU's don't matter. When you build a PC you don't focus on one part and crap out on the rest. You don't get a godly GPU and pair it with a crap CPU and some slow ram and a 5200 HDD. Devs were excited for a multitude of things, not JUST SSD.

It's like in the midst of all this tech talk, any praise of SSD = a GPU downplayer. Like wtf? :mindblown: Y'all done turned anyone even devs who praise PS5 into a Samsung 970 Evo supporter :troll:

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
He's got a point breh

PS5 - SSD (TBD)

for non first party studios, I get it with Epic.

like i said earlier, Guerilla gonna have people mad when they show off HZD2. Even Santa Monica with God of War 2 and I don't even want to see with ND can do. They've proven themselves.

• Dap
Reactions: VRO

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Downplaying SSD again. Plenty of third party devs have commented how this has plagued game design for generations and now you're making it look like SSD's being in consoles isn't some sort of win. How would this had been done "decades" ago if the tech wasn't even available and ready?
You saying the PR works but the same PR on Xbox is making it seem like if it ain't 12TF it ain't next gen. Nobody is saying GPU doesn't matter, the GPU delta between

better GPU/CPU has always been the norm each gen but since Sony invested more in this, the other side will deny it's benefits because their side is seen as lesser in that area.

Ironic thing is you saying Meach has a point but then he makes up something completely off the mark but you ignore that(him saying stans believe the cell is more powerful than "current CPUs".)
I ain’t make that shyt up
nikka the CPU in that PS4 is weak as fukk nikka. Both Xbox One and PS4 have weaker CPU’s than the PS3.
:mjlol:

I mean the bias is easily seen here. It's like y'all take any perceived praise of the PS5 SSD as a slight against XsX's GPU.
No. You got people in this thread saying this demo is only possible on PS5 cause of its SSD.

That’s not simple praise, it’s false nonsense.

Nobody is saying GPU's don't matter.
Actually that’s exactly what the other dude was saying. Even went as far as to say that Xbox make a mistake by having the strongest GPU

When you build a PC you don't focus on one part and crap out on the rest. You don't get a godly GPU and pair it with a crap CPU and some slow ram and a 5200 HDD. It's like in the midst of all this tech talk, any praise of SSD = a GPU downplayer. Like wtf? :mindblown:
So series X more powerful in every metric other than storage speed.

Should play this demo and every other 3rd party game better than PS5....right?:mjpls:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
You saying the PR works but the same PR on Xbox is making it seem like if it ain't 12TF it ain't next gen.

Faster anything is great. I'm not denying this. Let me explain it this way.

The GPU is still needed to show all of this on the screen.

The PS5 SSD moves more data than the PS5 GPU can theoretically place on screen. Now, if the end result is games that looks like the UE5 demo and beyond, then that is great.
However, the Xbox Series X SSD, with its SSD, Velocity Architecture and the hardware compression/decompression block on the motherboard, also moves more data than what the Xbox Series X GPU can show. Xbox Series X can get to 5.7GB read speed

This is currently the best SSD for PC gaming on the market at 1TB

Addlink S70 1TB SSD, it reads at 3.4GB

Another good one is this

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB, it reads at 3.4GB

Ultimately, here's the analogy. Microsoft threw a bazooka at an ant when it comes to data and asset streaming while Sony threw atomic bombs at the ant. At the end of the day, neither will be able to blame the SSD on lack of performance. They will both be capped by their GPU, which, bringing us back to the original point, GPU matters as to what we will see on the screen.