SONY Execs Warned Not To Cast Denzel Washington In Big Budget Movies Because Black Leads Flop

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
How is this racist if the numbers back up what he says?

He said Denzel does well in the states and not overseas...

Thats racist?

bizkit

The Only Voice of Reason
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They aint wrong, the movie was a dud. Its a free market, let businesses run how they want. You don't have to support them. You have the right to run your own studios

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
I don't understand the mindset of these 'racist' moviegoers. To me, if someone goes HAM in a movie, then they just go HAM. I don't have tie to be wondering about some dude's race if the movie is hot. Return of the King was a bunch of white dudes and i saw that 4 times in theaters. The Raid is asian dudes and was the hottest action piece that year. The Equalizer had Denzel. It doesn't matter, if the movie is good, then it should just stand on that.
fukk all that noise. You been here less than a week, why's is your rep so bad? :damn:

bright black

All Star
Daps
How is this racist if the numbers back up what he says?

He said Denzel does well in the states and not overseas...

Thats racist?

the dude say denzel doesnt do well overseas because of racism...he said it himself...he said it is racist i would have to agree...he should know...

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
This may be a stupid question, but do y'all think North Korea could be behind this?

Behind the Sony hack? Sony seems to think so. I personally have no idea ( l3ft th8t w0rld 8l0ng time ago ). But I wouldn't put it pass them, I mean all they have to do is deny it, not like you can throw them in Jail.

Bsmitty156

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
DO OR DIE
Supporting racist systems is still racist. These producers are trying to wash their hands blaming the international audiences just like how white store owners and real estate agents would say "oh well we would serve or sell to blacks but our white clients just won't like it. Sorry!" They're an equal part in the racism.

This is America. Other countries eat up things we put in the media that's why the American image is seen all around the world. If the US just started pumping out good movies with black leads people would go. Unfortunately, whites control the black image in America and they deem it inferior so choose to reflect that on the world.

How are these market analysis studies even accurate with few black leads in film? They think it'll tank, don't put in the effort for international release like a white film and then blame the audiences and sort of the black actor as well.

And it saddens me that Tyler perry and Oprah ran to make those statements especially Perry. You're a producer yourself. Use this as promotion of being an equal opportunity producer or something don't sambo your way to propping up your own competition.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
I say we invest in Nollywood. Could you imagine if Nollywood was supported by black Americans and blacks in other African countries? All black sci-fi, actions, comedy, etc. There would be no need for an audience outside of Africa and the black diaspora.
man nollywood is a disgrace, i've not seen one well produced from nigeria.

all those nigerian films my mom has sitting on deck are straight :trash:, most of the nollywood films are cheesy/trashy drama and romance shyt. not even remotely interested

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
That movie fukin sucked. No suspense at all. I only saw it for Denzel but halfway thru it I was tight that the script was weak

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Supporting racist systems is still racist. These producers are trying to wash their hands blaming the international audiences just like how white store owners and real estate agents would say "oh well we would serve or sell to blacks but our white clients just won't like it. Sorry!" They're an equal part in the racism.

This is America. Other countries eat up things we put in the media that's why the American image is seen all around the world. If the US just started pumping out good movies with black leads people would go. Unfortunately, whites control the black image in America and they deem it inferior so choose to reflect that on the world.

How are these market analysis studies even accurate with few black leads in film? They think it'll tank, don't put in the effort for international release like a white film and then blame the audiences and sort of the black actor as well.

And it saddens me that Tyler perry and Oprah ran to make those statements especially Perry. You're a producer yourself. Use this as promotion of being an equal opportunity producer or something don't sambo your way to propping up your own competition.

Dude, all that u typing is cool and all.. but the producer has the numbers to back up his opinion no matter how it comes off.

I know it didnt sound good. But, the producer is in the business to make the studio money. If Denzel was killing the game overseas, this wouldnt be an issue. They would milk the hell out him regardless