SONY Execs Warned Not To Cast Denzel Washington In Big Budget Movies Because Black Leads Flop

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Man, there would be a lot of c00ns :to: @ the fact that their buddy buddy exec that talks to them daily, send racist emails about them to his other executive friends.

Imagine what the music industry emails would look like...:ill:

Daps
Did yall read? It says cause of racist international audiences. CACs so eager to be panthers on here.

Sidenote: RUSSIANS really be ON black men because of the US entertainment industry. It was like a little group of exchange student pawgs we was eatin

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How is this racist if the numbers back up what he says?

He said Denzel does well in the states and not overseas...

Thats racist?

Numbers dont back it up.. the movie did great overseas and made its money back and then some. Sony has dropped a ton movies with white leads with similar budgets that flopped domestic and overseas. Blacks are always held to an impossible standard.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hardly ever see black leads for big budget films that aren't Will Smith or Denzel Washington. We honestly aren't given the chance in the first place for big budget international films so how are they so certain that we would come up short?

Meanwhile there are countless examples of white leads flopping and the machine trying to manufacture white stars and still coming up short but just like in every other facet in life white folk always get 1000 and 1 chances more than everybody else.

Exactly. its like a waiter who thinks blacks wont tip and gives them bad service and then acts surprised when they get a shytty tip. They don't even promote movies with black leads the same as white leads domestic and internationally but they expect similar or better results...

Daps
Reppin
NULL
He said "serious". The '89 "Batman", while classic, was goofy as shyt compared to "The Crow" and "Blade".

Fred.

spider-man is goofy compared to all of them, but that doesn't mean they did't take it serious

Punisher with Dolph came out before the Crow and that was not a kids movie at all

the crow isn't even a real super hero like that just because it came from the comic, you might as well as say TMNT the first one started it

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
I say we invest in Nollywood. Could you imagine if Nollywood was supported by black Americans and blacks in other African countries? All black sci-fi, actions, comedy, etc. There would be no need for an audience outside of Africa and the black diaspora.
:whoa: Have you seen them films?

Pdiddy

Superstar
Daps
Kim-jong-un.gif

Maximus

All Star
Daps
I don't know...something doesn't feel right about this. Eddie Murphy's 1988 film, "Coming To America," grossed $128,152,301 million domestically($255,818,208 million when adjusted for inflation) and $160 million non-domestic($319 million adjusted) - and that's an all black film.

His 1996 film, "The Nutty Professor," grossed $128,814,019($193.8 million adj) and $145,147,000 non-domestic($218,461,499 adj.) - another predominately black film.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=comingtoamerica.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=nuttyprofessor.htm

The Beverly Hills Cop movies also did well internationally.

People have already mentioned the international success of Will Smith. So either Eddie and Will are somehow rare exceptions to the rule, or they were the only black men to get a fair shot in terms of international marketing/promotion. If they are infact rare exceptions, then I have to ask - what makes them so exceptional? Especially Eddie Murphy to the point where international audiences are willing to support his predominately black films("Coming To America" and "The Nutty Professor") in mass numbers in the '80s and '90s nontheless? Something about that doesn't quite add up.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
spider-man is goofy compared to all of them, but that doesn't mean they did't take it serious

Punisher with Dolph came out before the Crow and that was not a kids movie at all

the crow isn't even a real super hero like that just because it came from the comic, you might as well as say TMNT the first one started it

I don't want to put words in his mouth but I took what he said as the first "serious" IE "gritty" comic movie that started the trend, which would be "The Crow". I never read the comic but everyone knew it came from a comic, it was all over the marketing for it. Whether or not he's technically a super hero never came into the equation.

"The Punisher" never got a theatrical release in America.

Maybe I misinterpreted what he meant though. :yeshrug:

Fred.