Sony announces the PlayStation Classic (20 games, December 3rd, $99)

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So u never answered my question from this or the other thread i don't remember.

So Sony just simply doesn't want to make PS3 BC? Even though we know most likely it'd just be games being resold because again Sony is $ony and PS3 being emulated doesn't have to mean = insert old disc and play?

Seems pretty weird logic.

The argument @Liquid always said was "because Gaikai was bought that's why" and we see they offer PS2 and PS4 games as downloads off of the service(PS Now) so why would PS3 games be a no no? It doesn't add up logically. Sony would simply resell all those old PS3 games over as part of some PS3 classics nonsense like they did with PS2.

but what do I know inb4igetcalledaconsoleclowneventhoughmysteamlibrarysaysotherwise
To make an emulator it would cost them money with little benefit as it's the type of feature that might increase hardware sales(which Sony doesn't need) but it doesn't make any direct money. They make more off offering remasters and psnow.

For Microsoft the investment makes sense because they need to sell more consoles.

Like I said it's simple math.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Microsoft didn't take any preemptive steps to make Xbox one hardware compatible. They just exploited what was already there. Same as Sony could do if they wanted to.

Xbox one is not a case of native BC hardware being purposely built into the system like early PS3s had. They aren't making that claim. Maybe you are misunderstanding what they

Here's Microsoft stating the complete opposite, that the steps to make the xbox1 backwards compatible started before the system even had a name.

They also say that full virtual emulation was too difficult without building some level of hardware compatibility into the system.

:stopitslime:

The Untold Story of Xbox One Backwards Compatibility - IGN

"
Choudhry did just that, and so the first steps to Xbox One backwards compatibility were taken, long before the console had a name or anything remotely resembling final specifications.

As Durango crystallized, so too did plans for Xbox 360 compatibility on the new machine. “This was primarily a software exercise, but we enabled that by thinking ahead with hardware,” Gammill explained. “We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon.” This was done back in 2011. Preliminary tests showed that support for key Xbox middleware XMA audio and texture formats was extremely taxing to do in software alone, with the former, Gammill noted, taking up two to three of the Xbox One’s six CPU cores. But a SOC (system on chip) – basically an Xbox 360 chip inside every Xbox One, similar to how Sony put PS2 hardware inside the launch-era PS3s – would’ve not only been expensive, but it would’ve put a ceiling on what the compatibility team could do. “If we'd have gone with the 360 SOC, we likely would've landed at just parity,” he said. “The goal was never just parity.” So they built the XMA and texture formats into the Xbox One chipset.

And also that it was planned as a launch day feature. But they had to push it back due to the changes they made with the always online infrastructure.

The fan-first feature has evolved from an experiment conducted by two separate Microsoft Research teams into a service planned for Xbox One's launch—complete with hardware hooks baked into the Durango silicon—until the well-publicized changes to the Xbox One policies (namely, stripping out the always-online requirement for the console) forced it to be pushed to the back burner.

You are literally just making shyt up to fit a narrative.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Here's Microsoft stating the complete opposite, that the steps to make the xbox1 backwards compatible started before the system even had a name.

They also say that full virtual emulation was too difficult without building some level of hardware compatibility into the system.

:stopitslime:

The Untold Story of Xbox One Backwards Compatibility - IGN

"

And also that it was planned as a launch day feature. But they had to push it back due to the changes they made with the always online infrastructure.

You are literally just making shyt up to fit a narrative.
Your quotes literally say they didn't do hardware BC like Sony did with PS3 and that BC on Xbox one is "primarily a software exercise".

For the last time. It's not hardware.

As your quotes say it was a "SOFTWARE" experiment that they worked on until it worked.

Can you read mufukka?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Your quotes literally say they didn't do hardware BC like Sony did with PS3 and that BC on Xbox one is "primarily a software exercise".

For the last time. It's not hardware.

As your quotes say it was a "SOFTWARE" experiment that they worked on until it worked.

Can you read mufukka?
Can you read?
:what:

I never said that it was straight hardware emulation, it was a combination of both.

"“This was primarily a software exercise, but we enabled that by thinking ahead with hardware,” Gammill explained. “We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon.”

"Preliminary tests showed that support for key Xbox middleware XMA audio and texture formats was extremely taxing to do in software alone"

They literally said that having a system on chip like Sony did with ps3 would be too expensive so they designed the hardware to do part of the work and used software emulation for the rest.

They literally said that without designing the hardware with some level of backwards compatibility, it wouldn't have been possible. And all this was done while the system was still in development.

Read the entire article and stop being a fukking dumbass.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Can you read?

I never said that it was straight hardware emulation, it was a combination of both.

"“This was primarily a software exercise, but we enabled that by thinking ahead with hardware,” Gammill explained. “We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon.”

"Preliminary tests showed that support for key Xbox middleware XMA audio and texture formats was extremely taxing to do in software alone"

They literally said that having a system on chip like Sony did with ps3 would be too expensive so they designed the hardware to do part of the work and used software emulation for the rest.

They literally said that without designing the hardware with some level of backwards compatibility, it wouldn't have been possible. And all this was done while the system was still in development.

It's pointless.

Some guys just want to believe what they want to believe despite showing them facts.

MSFT out of their good hearts and love for their fans went above and beyond and created the emulator from scratch with no forethought.

Sony just don't want to because fanboys like us believe them and we already pre-ordered the Playstation Classic. It's clearly our fault.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
It's pointless.

Some guys just want to believe what they want to believe despite showing them facts.

MSFT out of their good hearts and love for their fans went above and beyond and created the emulator from scratch with no forethought.

Sony just don't want to because fanboys like us believe them and we already pre-ordered the Playstation Classic. It's clearly our fault.
shyt is ridiculous, I'm giving them information straight from Microsoft themselves stating that backwards compatibility was something they were working on since development and that it wouldn't be possible without some level of hardware compatibility baked into the system.

But you have nikkas like @Liquid and @MeachTheMonster claiming I'm just a sony stan defending Sony and that its possible with the what they have currently.

I never said the ps3 was so much more complicated than the 360 and that it's not possible, the 360 wouldn't have been possible either without Microsoft taking the steps they took during development to make it happen.

:why:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Over all regardless of how you feel

microsoft wanted to do BC, but wasn't sure about it or if they really could or would but kinda prepped for it just incase

Sony wanted to do it with ps3 to a point then removed it to cut cost and going into ps4 it wasn't really a goal point.

So you have one company that's looking to possible make money off this in the future in probably more than one by investing in it while laying down a strong foundation and you can see an over all goal

And another company that doesn't appear to have a goal or strategy when it comes to there BC plans.

Over all in any case when microsoft was on top BC was something they thought about and semi planned for even if they weren't sure they could or would do it.

Sony removed bc in order to cut cost and are on record people don't want retro games while selling/streaming and remastering and announcing remakes and now making retro systems.

All this other stuff talk is pretty whatever.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Over all regardless of how you feel

microsoft wanted to do BC, but wasn't sure about it or if they really could or would but kinda prepped for it just incase

Sony wanted to do it with ps3 to a point then removed it to cut cost and going into ps4 it wasn't really a goal point.

So you have one company that's looking to possible make money off this in the future in probably more than one by investing in it while laying down a strong foundation and you can see an over all goal

And another company that doesn't appear to have a goal or strategy when it comes to there BC plans.

Over all in any case when microsoft was on top BC was something they thought about and semi planned for even if they weren't sure they could or would do it.

Sony removed bc in order to cut cost and are on record people don't want retro games while selling/streaming and remastering and announcing remakes and now making retro systems.

All this other stuff talk is pretty whatever.
It wasn't something that Microsoft wasn't sure about, if you read the links I posted they said that backwards compatibility was something that was planned for launch but the response over the always online infrastructure made them delay it because they had to work on changing their online infrastructure.

Your correct about Sony wanting to make money off their shytty psnow bullshyt so they didnt consider BC important enough during development of the ps4.

Microsoft deserves praise for making sure the X1 was ready for backwards compatibility, but to act like it's something Sony could do right now with current hardware is just bullshyt.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Can you read?

Nah mufukka you made all that up.

The whole point of XNA when they first developed and anounced it was that it would be scaleable/compatible with a wide range of hardware. Off the shelf PC parts have the same compatability. fukking PS4 has some hardware compatibility with XNA.

Your problem is that you don't understand what the fukk your are talking about but you want to post these quotes in a vacuum.

Obviously they are gonna sexy it up a bit when they tell the story, and that goes for both sides.

If we are taking Microsofts word at face value, they thought it was "impossible" in 2015 Xbox team thought backwards compatibility was impossible, but they hadn't tried | TechRadar

So how could they possibly have planned ahead using hardware in 2011, but thought it was impossible and hadn't tried it in 2015????

shyt don't add up:stopitslime:

Hell them saying they "baked" anything in to the hardware is an embellishment as the hardware is pretty much just off the shelf PC parts. In that context AMD been "baking" 360 backwards compatibility in all of their hardware for the last 10 years:mjlol:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It wasn't something that Microsoft wasn't sure about, if you read the links I posted they said that backwards compatibility was something that was planned for launch but the response over the always online infrastructure made them delay it because they had to work on changing their online infrastructure.

Your correct about Sony wanting to make money off their shytty psnow bullshyt so they didnt consider BC important enough during development of the ps4.

Microsoft deserves praise for making sure the X1 was ready for backwards compatibility, but to act like it's something Sony could do right now with current hardware is just bullshyt.
I guess when I say "they weren't sure about" this is what I mean, they wanted to do always online, sharing games with up to X amount of people and bc" but after the whole mess they weren't sure how it tackle it. I do remember them saying that they didn't think they could pull off BC though, I always preached about how always online wasn't a big deal especially if it meant I got to share games with other friends or access to old games. MS really was just a bit to ahead of its time then and the rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with those snobby comments.

But here we are in 2018 basically always online and or about to be ok with checking in every X amount of hours or days to play certain games.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It's pointless.

shyt is ridiculous, I'm giving them information straight from Microsoft themselves stating that backwards compatibility was something they were working on since development and that it wouldn't be possible without some level of hardware compatibility baked into the system.

But you have nikkas like @Liquid and @MeachTheMonster claiming I'm just a sony stan defending Sony and that its possible with the what they have currently.

I never said the ps3 was so much more complicated than the 360 and that it's not possible, the 360 wouldn't have been possible either without Microsoft taking the steps they took during development to make it happen.

:why:
Sony stans :mjlol:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Nah mufukka you made all that up.

The whole point of XNA when they first developed and anounced it was that it would be scaleable/compatible with a wide range of hardware. Off the shelf PC parts have the same compatability. fukking PS4 has some hardware compatibility with XNA.

Your problem is that you don't understand what the fukk your are talking about but you want to post these quotes in a vacuum.

Obviously they are gonna sexy it up a bit when they tell the story, and that goes for both sides.

If we are taking Microsofts word at face value, they thought it was "impossible" in 2015 Xbox team thought backwards compatibility was impossible, but they hadn't tried | TechRadar

So how could they possibly have planned ahead using hardware in 2011, but thought it was impossible and hadn't tried it in 2015????

shyt don't add up:stopitslime:

Hell them saying they "baked" anything in to the hardware is an embellishment as the hardware is pretty much just off the shelf PC parts. In that context AMD been "baking" 360 backwards compatibility in all of their hardware for the last 10 years:mjlol:
Did you even read the link you posted?

They said AT THE BEGINNING they didnt think it was possible, meaning during development, Not in 2015.

They considered a SoC option like Sony did with the ps3 but figured it was too expensive. So they went with what we have now.

I'm not quoting anything in a vacuum, I'm telling you to read the articles but yall are refusing to do that so I'm giving you direct quotes of where they talk about it.

XNA and XMA are two different things. One is a game developer tool and the other is a xbox audio codex format.

You literally dont know what the fukk your talking about.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Did you even read the link you posted?

They said AT THE BEGINNING they didnt think it was possible, meaning during development, Not in 2015.

They considered a SoC option like Sony did with the ps3 but figured it was too expensive. So they went with what we have now.

I'm not quoting anything in a vacuum, I'm telling you to read the articles but yall are refusing to do that so I'm giving you direct quotes of where they talk about it.

XNA and XMA are two different things. One is a game developer tool and the other is a xbox audio codex format.

You literally dont know what the fukk your talking about.

Again you have no clue what the fukk you are taking about.

"An Xbox spokesperson also told us that a member of the team had gone to Phil Spencer and told him that he had found a way of making backwards compatibility happen. "[Spencer] told him to go away and make it happen and that's how it happened," the spokesperson said."

Phil spencer was not the head of Xbox in 2011 he would not have been in this position to answers this request at that point.

And a codeC is SOFTWARE not hardware.

Damn dummy :smh:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Again you have no clue what the fukk you are taking about.

"An Xbox spokesperson also told us that a member of the team had gone to Phil Spencer and told him that he had found a way of making backwards compatibility happen. "[Spencer] told him to go away and make it happen and that's how it happened," the spokesperson said."

Phil spencer was not the head of Xbox in 2011 he would not have been in this position to answers this request at that point.

And a codeC is SOFTWARE not hardware.

Damn dummy :smh:
Phil was the general manager before being promoted to his current position.

Xma is a format used for the 360 and had to had to be baked into the X1 for compatibility.

You brought up xna like that means anything in to context of what we're talking about.

Read the damn links, I'm tired of trying to explain it to your dumb ass.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Phil was the general manager before being promoted to his current position.

Xma is a format used for the 360 and had to had to be baked into the X1 for compatibility.

You brought up xna like that means anything in to context of what we're talking about.

Read the damn links, I'm tired of trying to explain it to your dumb ass.

Phil had NOTHING to do with hardware decisions or the overall direction of Xbox until very recently.

That quote is not talking about early in the development of Xbox one. It wouldn't even make sense in that context.

You rolling with what Microsoft said or not?

Xbox One is Not Backward Compatible

The system is based on a different core architecture, so back-compat doesn't really work from that perspective."

Doesn't sound like something baked in the hardware they just had to enable:ohhh: