Sony announce that Horizon Zero Dawn has sold over 20m Copies

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
The entire premise for your argument is bullshyt, because that has never been how these things were determined. It's just a way for you guys to cope. :yeshrug:

Cope? Lol. I own this game and unlike most of the population, I bought the first one on release date at full price. I'm buying the ps5 version of the sequel at launch, paying the extra ten dollars because I simply don't want the ps4 spine on the case. The pic will be in the recent purchases thread like I do most of the games.

I actually hate that this is the game that I doing this to because it's actually my favorite Sony game from the last generation after God of War. That said, I look at the net profit of the business. Number of sales don't really move the needle with me. Case in point, Minecraft is the game with most sold copies ever. I bought four copies, Android for 5.99, Xbox 360 for 29.99, Xbox One edition for 19.99 and Windows 10 edition for 29.99. Who really cares what it sells? It's cheap as shyt, of course it sold.

Point being is this. Does Sony made games get into a lot of hands? Answer is yes. Does some of Sony's games in terms of sales approach Nintendo's. Answer is yes.

However, when we talk about sales, context should be provided and not have people go, more or less, 'why y'all nikkas hating' when facts are presented that someone does not like. It's not like I'm manipulating numbers to prove a point. If you aren't going to do that, then the thread is nothing but a half-stepping circle jerk because the purpose of this thread was to show a game was in rarefied air. When showed that the game was practically given away for free at multiple junctures in its life yet still counts as a sale, we get the 'why y'all nikkas hating' cry.

Microsofts games aren’t even in the same league at this point

In terms of sales? No, Microsoft doesn't cut costs in the manner Sony does.

February 2019, Sony announced that the game sold 10 million.

Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition

The complete edition hit 19.99 on June 8, 2018 and has been sold at that price point or less since.

Conversely, Forza Horizon 4, the most popular Xbox one exclusive released in October 2018 and finally went below $20 on November 19, 2021, after its successor came out.

Forza Horizon 4 Standard Edition

So, Sony and Microsoft have different ideologies when it comes to delivering their games and price points. One cuts their price quicker, one is more methodical.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
i never said they didn't but a sale is a sale, Im not comparing 1st party revenue. My argument is 20m sony game even sold at a discount is just as impressive as 20m nintendo game for entirely different reasons than yall think. God of War is competing against every other AAA action game out, mario oddysey isn't really competiting with anything. You buy a nintendo and theres like 5 games you will buy for it no matter what. The same isn't true for playstation, you buy a playstation and you may just buy spider-man and CoD or Fifa.

but you can go on, i know that you're the type that will never stop replying so you win :mjlol:

How is it just as impressive if all these games are competing with each other?
When I bought a Switch, I debated on whether or not to put a bit more down for a ps4 instead.
I weighed Sony games/3rd party games vs Nintendo games.
And Nintendo won.
If you're doing it at full price vs damn near giving it away, there's no parity there.
Sony having more 3rd party support vs Nintendo is moot since for the people buying just Switch, Nintendo >>> everyone else.
That's power my guy.
Your stance is the definition of what kids call "cope".

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
You’re trying too hard. Nintendo pretty much has game bundles for every 1st party game they release, and if you’re gonna downplay bundled game numbers we can’t donwplay all those trial gamepasss memberships also

and sony don’t typically do brand new game and console bundles like nintendo

switch-bundles.large.jpg

sGk7wwVjqojS9raEvyKSDG.jpg

24b4b41f-fcb6-4765-8a22-fd2ed69d2a71.455793142e8bb8a49d264bddce6da028.jpeg

5919905_sd.jpg
3766474-mario.jpg

Yeah but the thing is, if I buy that smash bros bundle, I'm paying $350.

That's Switch + game.

Sony would give me both for $300, which really just covers the cost of the console itself.

Sony is the better deal, of course but it says nothing to the purchase power of the titles included.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
It’s the only way they can downplay sales

Meanwhile microsoft has moved onto only reporting player numbers lol

I never said 20 million sold for Hzd was bad or anything. It's not, since most games don't reach that point.

I just refuted the claim that it was like Nintendo when clearly it's not.

Y'all got tight when nuance was addressed, and are still arguing against it.

Walk into a packed barbershop, barber is finishing a head and you get called into the chair vs been in the shop for hours and only get the chair when it empties out....

Both got cuts n it's cool but nikka y'all aren't the same.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's not the point to downplay but it is a very surface level title that gives little to context. The game did extremely well sales wise but Sony did aggressive things to get these numbers up, like they do with all their games.

A bundle with a console counts as a sale. These were all previous Black Friday/Christmas sales.

MEGAPACK2.png

productimg

9bad2e0dbd5ad9a7daddcd471dff980c.png

91zXzCCzN8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ps4_playstation_hits__bundle_1496117304176.jpg

A good amount of people got the game with the console.

Now, all companies do bundles but nobody does it as aggressively as Sony. The one with The Last of Us, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn was for Black Friday 2019. That console retailed for 199.99 during that cycle.

How to get your hands on that Black Friday PS4 bundle before it sells out

Fast forward to today

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-h...tation-4-slim-1tb-console-black/10147719.html

A PS4 with no games runs you 299.99 on February 12, 2022.

The point of bundles is to entice future users of the platform. However, every game in a bundle counts as a +1 in sales and as I broke down that particular bundle, Sony gave three games away yet they count towards sales in the grand scheme of things.

It's why I look at Sony sales numbers in almost the same vein I do Gamepass numbers. It's engagement of user, not true sales. Only with Nintendo should one reasonably go and read a Nintendo press release of sales and do the back of the envelope math of _____ amount sold * 59.99, shave off about 5% due to sales and bundles of their own and ultimately get to a good guesstimate of a revenue number.

Everyone else? Obfuscation and trickery gets them there.
Nintendo bundles games. There was a Mario Kart 8 bundle. In fact it's been an industry standard practice since forever ago mostly due to Nintendo.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
Nintendo bundles games. There was a Mario Kart 8 bundle. In fact it's been an industry standard practice since forever ago mostly due to Nintendo.

Yes, Nintendo bundles games and I'm not arguing against them, hence numbers for super mario brothers 1 and duck hunt being as high as they are. My entire point in summation is this.

Game releases on February 28th, 2017.

Game is included in first of many bundles as of May 3rd, 2017.

PS4 HITS Bundle

Game hits 19.99 for the first time Black Friday 2017.

Sony's massive Black Friday game sale: Horizon Zero Dawn $20, Dishonored DOTO $15, more

Sony has now launched the massive Black Friday 2017 sale across PSN it announced last week. And it’s a good one. Typically these digital sales don’t get quite as low as the physical deals, but today we are seeing some fantastic offers including Black Friday matches on Horizon Zero Dawn at $20

We can definitively say that Nintendo does not do that with any of their games. This is the ubisoft way of price cutting.

Game sells 20 million. My question is, at what cost?

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
I might check the sequel out. got really bored with this one after a while.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, Nintendo bundles games and I'm not arguing against them, hence numbers for super mario brothers 1 and duck hunt being as high as they are. My entire point in summation is this.

Game releases on February 28th, 2017.

Game is included in first of many bundles as of May 3rd, 2017.

PS4 HITS Bundle

Game hits 19.99 for the first time Black Friday 2017.

Sony's massive Black Friday game sale: Horizon Zero Dawn $20, Dishonored DOTO $15, more

We can definitively say that Nintendo does not do that with any of their games. This is the ubisoft way of price cutting.

Game sells 20 million. My question is, at what cost?

Ya'll act like once a game goes on sale, it's forever on sale. Outside of those Great Hits situations, a sale typically is very temporary and random. And it's funny that most ya'll clowns dikkride the fukk outta PC games being on sale all the time, but then wanna act like playstation games having some sales every now and then is a bad thing, but Nintendo practically never having a sale is somehow a good thing. The faux concern of it all is hilarious as well.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
Ya'll act like once a game goes on sale, it's forever on sale. Outside of those Great Hits situations, a sale typically is very temporary and random. And it's funny that most ya'll clowns dikkride the fukk outta PC games being on sale all the time, but then wanna act like playstation games having some sales every now and then is a bad thing, but Nintendo practically never having a sale is somehow a good thing. The faux concern of it all is hilarious as well.

You've missed the main crux of my argument then. Who says paying more for games is what's hot in these streets? I'd prefer to pay less for all and more people playing the game is wonderful.

My point is that I've seen other games reach this plateau quicker and with a higher average sale price. This is a business/sales thread so I'm looking at it from the perspective of a business person. I'm looking at the revenue at the end of the day. That's it.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
You've missed the main crux of my argument then. Who says paying more for games is what's hot in these streets? I'd prefer to pay less for all and more people playing the game is wonderful.

My point is that I've seen other games reach this plateau quicker and with a higher average sale price. This is a business/sales thread so I'm looking at it from the perspective of a business person. I'm looking at the revenue at the end of the day. That's it.

The revenue ain't going in your pocket. So you doing too much.