Sony announce that Horizon Zero Dawn has sold over 20m Copies

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Weren’t they giving it out for free at one point?
Plus it’s always $10 that’s how I got mine
Just saying :hubie:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nah.

Nintendo does this in much shorter time periods and generally at full price.

Hzd has been cheap as hell for most of its existence.

If hzd stayed at $60 the way Nintendo games do, it'd be a huge thing to be at 10 million sold.
It was $30 by Christmas in its launch year.

Good for them but the press release isn't telling the whole story, by a long shot.

Sony doesn't have nearly the buying power of Nintendo.

The other part of that story is tthat Sony sells these games while facing competition from big 3rd party AAA games like Red Dead Redemption, Resident Evil, Assassins Creed, Annual sports and shooter titles, and a plethora of other games that they even market themselves.

While people really just buy nintendo consoles to play nintendo games and maybe the occasional indie game. Sony’s 1st party games sell more than most multiplatform 3rd party games.

Weren’t they giving it out for free at one point?
Plus it’s always $10 that’s how I got mine
Just saying :hubie:

And you ain’t sayin shyt cause that makes it even more impressive as those aren’t counted amongst the actual sales

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
Nah.

Nintendo does this in much shorter time periods and generally at full price.

Hzd has been cheap as hell for most of its existence.

If hzd stayed at $60 the way Nintendo games do, it'd be a huge thing to be at 10 million sold.
It was $30 by Christmas in its launch year.

Good for them but the press release isn't telling the whole story, by a long shot.

Sony doesn't have nearly the buying power of Nintendo.
Please stop making sense. You're going to upset the stanleys.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
The other part of that story is tthat Sony sells these games while facing competition from big 3rd party AAA games like Red Dead Redemption, Resident Evil, Assassins Creed, Annual sports and shooter titles, and a plethora of other games that they even market themselves.

While people really just buy nintendo consoles to play nintendo games and maybe the occasional indie game. Sony’s 1st party games sell more than most multiplatform 3rd party games.

And you ain’t sayin shyt cause that makes it even more impressive as those aren’t counted amongst the actual sales

Nah breh. If that was the case, the combined userbase of the big guys would see 3rd party titles outsell Nintendo titles.

They don't and it's not even close.

Even if Nintendo got day and date parity with Playstation and Xbox, the best selling games would still be Nintendo games.

Even back when they did have 3rd party support(snes) the best selling titles were still Nintendo games.

It's the epitome of "We are not the same" energy.

There's a reason why Sony was the word on everyone's lips when the Bethesda/Activision deals went through and not Nintendo's.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nah breh. If that was the case, the combined userbase of the big guys would see 3rd party titles outsell Nintendo titles.

They don't and it's not even close.

Even if Nintendo got day and date parity with Playstation and Xbox, the best selling games would still be Nintendo games.

Even back when they did have 3rd party support(snes) the best selling titles were still Nintendo games.

It's the epitome of "We are not the same" energy.

There's a reason why Sony was the word on everyone's lips when the Bethesda/Activision deals went through and not Nintendo's.

not really sure how anything you're saying contradicts what I just said. The point is Nintendo isn't competing with anyone but themselves. The biggest selling third party titles in existence aren't even on nintendo or if they do get ported its years later, and still people aren't rushing out to play them. Stuff like Doom and Witcher barely chart on the E Shop. Of course mario kart, mario party, zelda is gonna chart when theres literally no alternatives on the switch hardware.

like if someone wants to buy a game this month on playstation they have to budget between Dying Light 2, Sifu, Horizon Forbidden West, Destiny 2 expansion, Elden Ring, Warhammer 3, and this isn't even counting the soon to be released games in the begiining of next month. If you're on nintendo you're looking at Olli Olli World 2, Dynasty warrirors 9, and most likely whatever nintendo games you haven't bought on sale yet.

all the multiplatform and 1st party games on non-nintendo systems eat into each others sales. most people own nintendos has secondary devices that they just play nintendo games on. Right now everyone is just waiting for Kirby to come out

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
not really sure how anything you're saying contradicts what I just said. The point is Nintendo isn't competing with anyone but themselves. The biggest selling third party titles in existence aren't even on nintendo or if they do get ported its years later, and still people aren't rushing out to play them. Stuff like Doom and Witcher barely chart on the E Shop. Of course mario kart, mario party, zelda is gonna chart when theres literally no alternatives on the switch hardware.

like if someone wants to buy a game this month on playstation they have to budget between Dying Light 2, Sifu, Horizon Forbidden West, Destiny 2 expansion, Elden Ring, Warhammer 3, and this isn't even counting the soon to be released games in the begiining of next month. If you're on nintendo you're looking at Olli Olli World 2, Dynasty warrirors 9, and most likely whatever nintendo games you haven't bought on sale yet.

all the multiplatform and 1st party games on non-nintendo systems eat into each others sales. most people own nintendos has secondary devices that they just play nintendo games on. Right now everyone is just waiting for Kirby to come out
This would be true in a vacuum but in reality the majority of Nintendo Switch owners also own another platform so when it comes to games a purchase decision between what to buy is still factored in.
Report: Nintendo Switch console cross-ownership is at 71% (NPD)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This would be true in a vacuum but in reality the majority of Nintendo Switch owners also own another platform so when it comes to games a purchase decision between what to buy is still factored in.
Report: Nintendo Switch console cross-ownership is at 71% (NPD)

makes it even more true. The people who are buying nintendo's are buying them strictly for nintendo games. Even me, i own a switch and almost everything I own on it are from nintendo

i never gotta decide between buying a game on my ps5 or buying it on my switch. If the majority of people who bought playstations only bought them for 1st party game the numbers would look similar

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
makes it even more true. The people who are buying nintendo's are buying them strictly for nintendo games. Even me, i own a switch and almost everything I own on it are from nintendo

i never gotta decide between buying a game on my ps5 or buying it on my switch. If the majority of people who bought playstations only bought them for 1st party game the numbers would look similar
If 4 games come out the same day that you want you have to decide what to buy and what not to buy. If one of those is a Nintendo game it factors into that.

The reality is Nintendo games both get priority from customers and because the price stays full retail for so long there's no point to pass on it anyway.

If you pass on the Sony game usually in a couple months you can get it way cheaper. Pass on the Nintendo game and 2 years later same price unless it's a remaster.

Either way what they're saying is true. When a Nintendo game does 20 million the overwhelming majority of those were sold at full retail.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If 4 games come out the same day that you want you have to decide what to buy and what not to buy. If one of those is a Nintendo game it factors into that.

The reality is Nintendo games both get priority from customers and because the price stays full retail for so long there's no point to pass on it anyway.

If you pass on the Sony game usually in a couple months you can get it way cheaper. Pass on the Nintendo game and 2 years later same price unless it's a remaster.

Either way what they're saying is true. When a Nintendo game does 20 million the overwhelming majority of those were sold at full retail.

i never said they didn't but a sale is a sale, Im not comparing 1st party revenue. My argument is 20m sony game even sold at a discount is just as impressive as 20m nintendo game for entirely different reasons than yall think. God of War is competing against every other AAA action game out, mario oddysey isn't really competiting with anything. You buy a nintendo and theres like 5 games you will buy for it no matter what. The same isn't true for playstation, you buy a playstation and you may just buy spider-man and CoD or Fifa.

but you can go on, i know that you're the type that will never stop replying so you win :mjlol:

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
20 million is extremely impressive for a new IP. I think this also supports Sony’s decision to continue bringing their first party titles to PC, sell some millions on PS5 and then sell an extra couple hundred-thousand on PC = printing money.

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
Also, Horizon Zero Dawn sold 2.6 million in its first two weeks. That was $59.99 per copy, so I think it’s safe to say that Sony made back their money pretty quickly before the price cuts.