Sony announce that Horizon Zero Dawn has sold over 20m Copies

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Also consider that Game Pass subscriber still buys some games. In 3.2 years that subscriber has generated the same revenue as a 7 year gamer that only buys games with an attachment ratio of 11 games just off the subscription payments. The additional games they buy are extra on top of that. That customer is flat out more valuable to a company than the guy who only buys games.

There's a reason all these businesses are transitioning to subscription based pricing. For them by far it's a more superior model than all these individual transactions. In the gaming space they can shift the focus from selling games to keeping gamers engaged.

I mean 20 million in sales in impressive but that means there are like almost 100 million in a gap between the PS4s out there and that game's sales and considering it's also on PC there is another gap. If that was on a subscription service how many more people could that game reach and engage? If Game Pass has 25 million subs Forza Horizon penetrated 60% of the sub base with 15 million players. Horizon penetrated 17% of the PS4 install base.

I've theorized for the longest of time that venn diagram for most Sony first party purchases are the same people. Sony knows this by who plays the games. I would wager that there are about 70 million ps4 owners with two Sony games or less in their library. Only console that the manufacturer holds down the fort is Nintendo. Other platform holders as in Microsoft or Sony can't as they both need 3rd party support.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I've theorized for the longest of time that venn diagram for most Sony first party purchases are the same people. Sony knows this by who plays the games. I would wager that there are about 70 million ps4 owners with two Sony games or less in their library. Only console that the manufacturer holds down the fort is Nintendo. Other platform holders as in Microsoft or Sony can't as they both need 3rd party support.
Honestly Microsoft's Game Pass business model pretty much forsakes most third party sales for a walled garden approach. With 30 studios if you give them 3 years to develop games you can break them into 3 groups and drop almost 10 titles a year every year. Maybe a few take longer but you'd be dropping a major AAA title almost every month to every other month. They'll pad the list out with the few 3rd party companies that wanna play ball and indie titles.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Nah.

Nintendo does this in much shorter time periods and generally at full price.

Hzd has been cheap as hell for most of its existence.

If hzd stayed at $60 the way Nintendo games do, it'd be a huge thing to be at 10 million sold.
It was $30 by Christmas in its launch year.

Good for them but the press release isn't telling the whole story, by a long shot.

Sony doesn't have nearly the buying power of Nintendo.
This is a weird ass way to downplay reaching that milestone.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
This is a weird ass way to downplay reaching that milestone.

It's not the point to downplay but it is a very surface level title that gives little to context. The game did extremely well sales wise but Sony did aggressive things to get these numbers up, like they do with all their games.

A bundle with a console counts as a sale. These were all previous Black Friday/Christmas sales.

MEGAPACK2.png

productimg

9bad2e0dbd5ad9a7daddcd471dff980c.png

91zXzCCzN8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ps4_playstation_hits__bundle_1496117304176.jpg

A good amount of people got the game with the console.

Now, all companies do bundles but nobody does it as aggressively as Sony. The one with The Last of Us, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn was for Black Friday 2019. That console retailed for 199.99 during that cycle.

How to get your hands on that Black Friday PS4 bundle before it sells out

Dubbed the “Only on PlayStation” bundle, it comes packaged with three PlayStation exclusives: The Last of Us: Remastered, Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition, and our 2018 game of the year, God of War. At $199.99, that’s a savings of around $160.

Fast forward to today

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-h...tation-4-slim-1tb-console-black/10147719.html

A PS4 with no games runs you 299.99 on February 12, 2022.

The point of bundles is to entice future users of the platform. However, every game in a bundle counts as a +1 in sales and as I broke down that particular bundle, Sony gave three games away yet they count towards sales in the grand scheme of things.

It's why I look at Sony sales numbers in almost the same vein I do Gamepass numbers. It's engagement of user, not true sales. Only with Nintendo should one reasonably go and read a Nintendo press release of sales and do the back of the envelope math of _____ amount sold * 59.99, shave off about 5% due to sales and bundles of their own and ultimately get to a good guesstimate of a revenue number.

Everyone else? Obfuscation and trickery gets them there.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You’re trying too hard. Nintendo pretty much has game bundles for every 1st party game they release, and if you’re gonna downplay bundled game numbers we can’t donwplay all those trial gamepasss memberships also

and sony don’t typically do brand new game and console bundles like nintendo

switch-bundles.large.jpg

sGk7wwVjqojS9raEvyKSDG.jpg

24b4b41f-fcb6-4765-8a22-fd2ed69d2a71.455793142e8bb8a49d264bddce6da028.jpeg

5919905_sd.jpg
3766474-mario.jpg

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah.

Nintendo does this in much shorter time periods and generally at full price.

Hzd has been cheap as hell for most of its existence.

If hzd stayed at $60 the way Nintendo games do, it'd be a huge thing to be at 10 million sold.
It was $30 by Christmas in its launch year.

Good for them but the press release isn't telling the whole story, by a long shot.

Sony doesn't have nearly the buying power of Nintendo.

I've no idea why people bring up Nintendo - people buy Nintendo consoles to only play Nintendo games, so of course they can charge full price over a long period. They also have by far the strongest IPs in gaming - benefit of being in the game the longest.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I've no idea why people bring up Nintendo - people buy Nintendo consoles to only play Nintendo games, so of course they can charge full price over a long period. They also have by far the strongest IPs in gaming - benefit of being in the game the longest.

It’s the only way they can downplay sales

Meanwhile microsoft has moved onto only reporting player numbers lol

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
You wasted your time typing all of that because I'm not going to read it. You all are downplaying and nothing more.

That's cool, did I lie though?

Answer is no. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

You’re trying too hard. Nintendo pretty much has game bundles for every 1st party game they release, and if you’re gonna downplay bundled game numbers we can’t donwplay all those trial gamepasss memberships also

switch-bundles.large.jpg

sGk7wwVjqojS9raEvyKSDG.jpg

24b4b41f-fcb6-4765-8a22-fd2ed69d2a71.455793142e8bb8a49d264bddce6da028.jpeg

5919905_sd.jpg
3766474-mario.jpg

Black Friday 2018: Mario Kart 8 bundle, retail cost = $299.99

Black Friday 2019: Mario Kart 8 bundle, retail cost = $299.99

Black Friday 2020: Mario Kart 8 bundle, retail cost = $299.99

Black Friday 2021: Mario Kart 8 bundle, retail cost = $299.99

Mario Kart 8 was the flagship bundle every year for the holidays.

The others?

Animal Crossing Bundle with Switch Lite: 299.99

Super Mario Odyssey Bundle actually came out with the game on release day and it retailed for $379.99

Pokémon Eevee bundle came out at 399.99

Smash Brothers Ultimate bundle came out at $360

The one with Mario Party and Mario Kart? That was a game bundle only available at Target that retailed at 99.99 for the two games.

Thanks for helping me prove my point. Every Black Friday, Nintendo will give away Mario Kart. The others? :russ:, pay up. That's why Nintendo is different than everyone else. They don't have to cut the price drastically to get the numbers up.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
You know this place has some complete retards when a game selling 20 million ISN'T an accomplishment because WoW and Zelda sold more. :mjlol:

That's the sad thing about this. It is an accomplishment. It's an awesome game. However, when we talk about sales, context is everything. Shaq's shoes at Walmart as far as total units sells far more than the Jordan brand does. What makes way more profit though? That's all we are saying. Cool, you sold a gazillion copies but at what cost? That's why I said I look at Sony and Microsoft numbers as engagement numbers. Nintendo? Their customers specifically wanted the game and the hardware.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That's the sad thing about this. It is an accomplishment. It's an awesome game. However, when we talk about sales, context is everything. Shaq's shoes at Walmart as far as total units sells far more than the Jordan brand does. What makes way more profit though? That's all we are saying. Cool, you sold a gazillion copies but at what cost? That's why I said I look at Sony and Microsoft numbers as engagement numbers. Nintendo? Their customers specifically wanted the game and the hardware.

Microsofts games aren’t even in the same league at this point