Sony acquires Bungie for 3.6B

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Don't really care about the multiplatform not reallt important this similar to minecraft which will be everywhee.

For sony, I find this to be a waste of money, not sure i like this move at all. From a cost perspective, 3.5b for effectively one IP? Destiny or even bungie next game I'd imagine imo from a gaas standpoint isn't that type of IP that commands such a significant price imo. You basically paying 3.5b for employees right here, not a fan of this longterm for sony.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
They aren’t making a destiny 3 anytime soon. D2 players not giving up 4 years of progress to start over and that was a big killing point going into d2. There’s already 3 years of content planned.

since destiny was was released, EA, Ubisoft etc,… tried to capitalize on that looter shooter market with “destiny killlers” and none of them did shyt….over 7 years later. The game has a hella strong fan base to this day.

Bungie was making a stand alone competitive type fps game, can’t be anything you but a good sign for that project moving forward.

Bet their first step will be making the transition for newer players better because that shyt is trash if you haven’t been in the mix. The game itself is in a great spot tho outside of rhar

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Don't really care about the multiplatform not reallt important, this similar to minecraft.

I find this to be a waste of money, not sure i like this move for sony at all. From a cost perspective, 3.5b for effectively one IP? Destiny or even there next game I'd imagine imo from a gaas standpoint isn't that type of IP that commands such a significant price imo. You basically paying 3.5b for employees right here, not a fan

its not just for a game

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
its not just for a game
You think destiny can translate into movies and toys? Idk man. It doesn't seem like that type of brand. I think sony could have spent money better elsewhere if they wanted a gaas studio.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You think destiny can translate into movies and toys? Idk man. It doesn't seem like that type of brand. I think sony could have spent money better elsewhere if they wanted a gaas studio.

that doesn't tell me they paid 3.6b for an IP

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i mean its good at what it is but instead of talking about how or why - and how that bungie/sony could help each other and i dont know... maybe something about how that's actually good for people who play games

dudes ain't passed a home ec class talking about how far a billion really goes these days. its stupid

even basic shyt like the significance of a title surviving two types of cross gen efforts, going f2p when it didn't need to while also growing its model at the same time, reaching out to platforms to grow their own footprint, etc

nah lets just smack the dust off keyboards and fling boogers at the screen :unimpressed:

some of d2's creative leads have been pulled off d2 and have been working on a new title for at least 2 years now. the creative studio stuff got propped up early last year.
What I mean is dudes in this board act act like Bungie is garbage this is a win for the players now because Bungie gets a solid backing by Sony and idk if I were to guess by going off their other studios and the quality of piff they drop this is a win win situation. Like @Brief Keef said on this board a few times I could care less if Sony or Xbox has better games than the other I’m gonna play them anyway because that’s what I am in my spare time a gamer that’s it I play games

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
even fukking dragons dogma got a netflix show. talk a walk through a book store and you'll see games attached to all kinds of comics/novels. etc if anything, bungie should vividly remember how MS wasted years throwing the Halo IP back and forth when it could've taken off for real.... if they want to branch out on their own terms good for them
What I mean is dudes in this board act act like Bungie is garbage this is a win for the players now because Bungie gets a solid backing by Sony and idk if I were to guess by going off their other studios and the quality of piff they drop this is a win win situation. Like @Brief Keef said on this board a few times I could care less if Sony or Xbox has better games than the other I’m gonna play them anyway because that’s what I am in my spare time a gamer that’s it I play games
gotcha. im sayin tho

let these motherfukkers get some dedicated servers finally :dead: bring back pod racing SRL. lets get another aloy crossover event or something. i have no idea how gaming turned into this extra shyt

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Don't really care about the multiplatform not reallt important this similar to minecraft which will be everywhee.

For sony, I find this to be a waste of money, not sure i like this move at all. From a cost perspective, 3.5b for effectively one IP? Destiny or even bungie next game I'd imagine imo from a gaas standpoint isn't that type of IP that commands such a significant price imo. You basically paying 3.5b for employees right here, not a fan of this longterm for sony.
It depends on how they plan on using Bungie tho.

Bungie has done a great job at community building 2 iconic franchises with Halo and Destiny. They are experts in online activity and multiplayer games. Sony's weakest area clearly is in that category for their first party titles. It would make sense to me for Sony to leverage Bungie's expertise with their other in house dev teams when it comes to other shooters online mechanics.

I also see this as a metaverse play because Destiny is an immersive world that would be a perfect match in VR. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the exclusivity element comes into play with this deal, idk.

Hypris

Superstar
Daps
Sony needed some insurance in case they lost Call of Duty in the future. Nothing will replace Call of Duty money but Bungie at least gives them online shooters that can be competitive.