Sony acquires Bungie for 3.6B

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Neither is old Bungie to keep it all the way real. Halo Infinite is great, Destiny is great, but neither is at Halo 1/2 Bungie levels, at all. I'll say it again, if they make an exclusive that is Destiny/old Halo level, I'll get a 5, and not sell it this time:mjlol:

they've yet to lay an egg. Whatever iteration of Bungie remains, the heads guys stayed and they are 2-2 so far.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
I wonder if by multiplat , they just mean PS5/PC since that's technically multiplatform.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
How is anything sony does a desperation move when they been kill MS for the last 3 gens and still are?

Can't you see the gaming world is changing bro??? This shyt not going to be brick and motar nomore. Why you think every leading company buying shyt the fukk up. This game system shyt is a rap.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
How is anything sony does a desperation move when they been kill MS for the last 3 gens and still are?
COD is the biggest seller on their platform by a good margin. If they lose thay and GTA, they're in trouble, exclusives be damned. This is an arms race. One they can't win with money, so they're applying strategy.

they've yet to lay an egg. Whatever iteration of Bungie remains, the heads guys stayed and they are 2-2 so far.
That's fair.

Yep, their next game will 100% PS5 & PC. Makes no sense for them to stretch their budget to develop for xbox

Guess you're so busy stanning, you didn’t read Bungie's statement.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First things that come to mind after sitting with this for a few minutes:

Now it makes a whole lot more sense as to why there wasn't a direct Halo crossover with Destiny 2 for the 30th anniversary event.

I still absolutely hate the trend of consolidation in the industry, regardless of who acquires what. I don't trust these huge companies to just say fukk it and do whatever they want once they're the only ones standing.

That said, this definitely benefits both sides. Bungie was looking to expand Destiny into a multimedia franchise, but honestly didn't have the structure to do it. Now, they do. Sony needed a studio with multiplayer expertise in house desperately to be able to round out their offerings. Now, they've got it.

This feels 100% like leverage for CoD/Activision. I don't spend money on the game outside of annual expansions, but apparently Destiny 2 makes decent money. So now, both Sony and Microsoft have a vest interest in success of products on another platform, should they keep things the same.

Details on Bungie's next game aren't all that well known, but it's supposedly a multiplayer title, as allegedly the lack of steady additions to the Crucible has been due to a lot of that staff moving to work on this new project. Either way, don't expect to hear anything about it until closer to when Destiny 2's final expansion for this phase of the game comes out in 2024.

Using the same optimism from the Activision purchase, this does open things up to cross development, assuming Bungie plays ball. A game in the Destiny universe developed by the Naughty Dog b/c team could be pretty solid, for example.

Freedom.

They didn't make the same mistake twice letting their Publisher own their IP (what happened with them and Xbox over Halo). They own the Destiny IP, not Activision.

Facts. And them holding on to that chip definitely pumped the value of the company. I just hope this doesn't turn into their last two situations where they gotta pull a houdini and get out of another deal.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
How it's a desperation move. They payed 3 billion for Destiny bro. This not moving a needle in the gaming world. Bungie employees were leaving going back to Microsoft. I don't understand how I contradicted myself

You said it was a desperation reaction move in one breath (acquisitions like this don't happen on a whim) and they point to how it was in the works for months??? :dead:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
My guess is Bungie wanted more funding to expand. Microsoft tried to get them back and they took that deal to Sony and said what can you do for us. Sony made concessions to prevent the possibility of having Microsoft reacquire Bungie.

I don't have any real knowledge but it seems plausible.