Sonic Mania (2D, PS4, XB1,PC, Switch, August 15th 2017, 29th for PC)

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Trubisky the GOAT
@natturnher

I had to day because I appreciate the honesty. I wrote out a dissertation about what I wasn't feeling about this game but I cut out like 90% of it. I saw on the other page that unlike new Super Mario Bros, or even the new megaman 10 I think it was for ps3 where they stuck true to the classics but added some new shyt like new power ups or new ways to beat bosses would be cool.

Like I said just jumping on the bosses is kinda wack. I they would mix it up by using what sonic can already do to beat bosses like using spin dash to dig a hole in a Sandy level and the boss steps into the hole and you jump on its head then he gets out throws an attack you dodge and repeat.

Or a boss does a charging dash attack at you and you jump off of a trampoline and over the enemies head and when he misses you he dashes right into spikes which hurt him.

They didn't really mix it up, so it's cool for a lil throwback nostalgia but unlike sonic 1 or 2 where you pop in to this day to really sink your teeth in I don't think I'll be doing that for this 20 years from now.

llt23

All Star
Daps
Really? What did I say that was wrong? I got time so let's dissect each fact shall we.

• Yes the game has 12 zones, and Sonic 3 and Knuckles (the complete, true and definite edition) has 13-14 zones/acts. So yes, a game that came out 23 years ago has more levels than this new one. That's poor.
  • In 1994 there was 3 playable characters, 23 years later... there's 3 playable characters. It's lazy and adding at least one new one could have added more replay value.
  • Yes the story made no sense, one minute Eggman is using some gem to travel through time (wtf) next he's in new levels, then old, what the hell was going on? I read it's all going to be explained in Sonic Forces, but you shouldn't have to play a 3D game to get the story, it should stand on it's own.
  • Yes, some zones have transitions, some don't, that's a fact. 3+K had them every level, this game didn't, it just felt lazy and rushed.
  • Yes 8/12 zones are re-hashed, fact, alright they're re-done and added new shyt but it's still the same level. A band could bring a new album with most songs being re-done with new instruments and lyrics... it's still the same songs though and not a proper new studio album. This game felt like a glorified greatest hits album.
  • Yes, the 4 new zones borrow lots of things from older levels, music cues, enemies, level gimmicks, even a few bosses are the same (Titanic Monarch boss has the Death Egg act 1 boss).
  • Instead of creating new special stages, they just ripped the ones off from Sonic CD with a minor twist. that's lame. Obviously me not liking the special stages is opinion, but being a rehash is not.
  • The bonus stages in 3+K had 3 different types, gumball machine/slot machine/glowing orbs, all offered rings and shields. This was just blue spheres (another rehash) and had no replay value once you beat them all.
  • Yes the lack of replay value is poor. I know it's no different to the classics but it's 2017, add some new modes/objectives/characters/missions something. Rayman Legends had 120+ levels and all the teensies/lums to collect, Crash has the crates and time trials. This game has nothing, it has a time trial mode but no medals so what time are we even aiming for?
Obviously things like bosses, music, enjoying the game etc is all opinion so I won't argue that. But no one can argue any of that above, it's a disappointing game and for the price I paid I was fukking ripped off. Biggest gaming disappointment in a long time.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles required you to own two separate full priced games in order to play 23 years ago. This is a budget game, 20 bucks. Not fair to compare it to Rayman either. Rayman wasnt 20 bucks.
This game is made by a random white guy. Its pretty much Sonic Mugen. He has no authority to create new characters, and that would probably not be a good look. He pretty much made 90 percent of the game with old assets.

I agree that the boss fights are mostly terrible. For the majority of them you can just jump at them and ignore their patterns completely.
I agree that the special stage based on sonic CD is complete ass.
I disagree with the general level design. I thought that was the major highlight of the game...They did a good job. The guy knows how to make a decent Sonic stage.

And I will agree that I'd still rather replay Sonic 1-3....but man. I grew up with those so I have a stronger attachment. And they are certified classics. Mania has its flaws but you gotta remember it had a small team and its a budget game. It did its job for me as someone who loved Genesis Sonic.

llt23

All Star
Daps
I can respect that. Thanks for being honest and bringing up both the positive and negative aspects of the game :salute:

You know what else though. Sonic in general has left a sour taste in our mouths for so long...You know what game tries to play on nostalgia and got good reviews but is pure trash??? SONIC GENERATIONS. fukk that game. Didnt even get the movement or physics right. After 20 years of all Sonic games being trash Sonic Mania gets brownie points just for looking and feeling like a Sonic game. That really matters.

concise

Veteran
Daps
Wait, you guys delete posts where someone has a different opinion in this section?

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Did they ever make a level select for the PS4 version? Because theres this one zone I'm assumnig is the last zone or next to last one where theres like bumper cars and ANNOYING purple circle things that you roll around erratically on and stick to that you have to jump off to the next one and it takes forever to get it right without falling off and repeating. The time would run out and at the checkpoints I never had enough time to complete the stage so I stopped playing the game.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
sonic-mania-plus-s-1.jpg

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
Did they ever make a level select for the PS4 version? Because theres this one zone I'm assumnig is the last zone or next to last one where theres like bumper cars and ANNOYING purple circle things that you roll around erratically on and stick to that you have to jump off to the next one and it takes forever to get it right without falling off and repeating. The time would run out and at the checkpoints I never had enough time to complete the stage so I stopped playing the game.
Gotta go fast:troll: