Somebody MUST go, changes MUST be made: Official Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread

Ashyneezz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
After all the flack they caught after the 1st pick this draft actually looks pretty nice, without seeing them play obviously. Looks like we found players at TE, WR, RB, and C who can make an impact this season. While picking up a nice S prospect.

I wish we could have gotten some young D-linemen but maybe they're seeing something in Crawford and I've always like Lissemore for some reason. But we still need a huge body to take on two blockers

Well see in a year or two what it all turns out to be but as of right now :ehh:

bigblue99

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Texas
:deadrose: @ this getting on tv

HI7d7tH.jpg

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I agree with most of what Shango said. We passed on guys like Elam/Reid/Cyprien and Floyd/Williams to get a C who would have been there in the 2nd round, and most likely the 3rd. I can say that definitively now since Barret Jones went all the way in the 4th round. Teams weren't valuing the Cs in this years draft class, and there is nothing that separates Travis Frederick and Barret Jones in terms of productivity, measurables, or potential. No way Frederick goes in the top 50 picks, and most likely not even the top 70-80 picks. Even if he does, so what. Get the next best goddamn Center.

We have gaping needs at DT and S. Instead we back up our Hall of Fame TE who's showing no signs of slowing down. And he already has James Hanna, who looked very good catching passes last year in what few plays he got on the field. :dwillhuh:

The fact that we spent a 6th rounder at a position last year where we had John Phillips, and then we spend a 2nd rounder at that same position where we have James Hanna proves just how awful of a GM Jerry Jones is. The entire fukking purpose of drafting is so that you can get solid guys who are cheap and young with potential. Was John Phillips not good enough? Was James Hanna not good enough? Why are we spending 2nd rounders on BACKUP TIGHT ENDS when we need starting Guards, Center, Defensive Tackle, Free Safety, and Strong Safety. Don't give me that shyt about Will Allen and Barry Church. Those guys are serviceable tacklers who will get lit up by TEs and speedy WRs, and will continue the trend of completely absent playmaking on the back end of our defense.

We spend a 1st round pick on a Center, and to be honest, we still didn't improve the offensive line as much as we needed. Not even close. Everyone in the world knew we needed to draft at least 2 offensive linemen. It would be best if they were taken early, and it would be best if they could start immediately. It would be even better if we got 3 new offensive lineman. Obviously you can't always get what you want, but you're telling me the best we could do is to get ONE starter?

We took Travis Frederick in the 1st round. The next highest rated centers: Brian Schwenke, Barrett Jones, and Khaled Holmes all went in the 4th round. We took a possible 3rd string player with our 2nd round pick. We took a 3rd, possibly 4th string WR with our first 3rd rounder. People who think this was a good draft are delusional. Some of these players might turn out to be quality picks, but the fact of the mater is that we could have filled our true needs with much better players than what we got. You're telling me having Escobar backing up Witten and Williams being the 3rd or 4th WR is going to help us win the division this upcoming year? Give me a blue chip DT who showed he can consistently take on double teams in the interior and generate a push. Give me a Safety who can cover lots of ground and generate turnovers in our new Cover 2 scheme. Give me some legitimate players at LG, C, and RG so we can buy time for Romo and open up holes for Murray. Drafting backups with your 2nd and 3rd rounders is shameful.

Hammer

Banned
Daps
the frederick pick was a pretty big reach he would have been available for our 2nd round pick probably

gavin escobar we could of nabbed in the 3rd round

i'm lovin the terrence williams and wilcox picks though :ohlawd:

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
the frederick pick was a pretty big reach he would have been available for our 2nd round pick probably

gavin escobar we could of nabbed in the 3rd round

i'm lovin the terrence williams and wilcox picks though :ohlawd:

nah fins would have taken him.

#Dolphins were so opposed to trading Up & giving away Pick 42. They lost their man- TE Gavin Escobar to Jerry Jones. Hindsights 20-20

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I hate these assumptions. If Dallas really wanted a Center/Guard and Frederick was who they wanted, fukk it then. They got him at the bottom of the first round. I can see if they picked him 18th. It was a smart move to move down to the bottom of the round to pick him and pick up an extra 3rd round pick at the same time. I don't see how thats losing.

And I don't know how people are assuming Reid is a sure thing at safety. If he was THAT nice, I doubt Dallas would've moved down especially since they moved up to get Claiborne from the same school last year.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
We took Travis Frederick in the 1st round. The next highest rated centers: Brian Schwenke, Barrett Jones, and Khaled Holmes all went in the 4th round.

You bring up a good point here. I think they grossly misjudged Frederick's worth to other teams. I saw somewhere that they were scared that Baltimore or Detroit would take him at 32 or 36. I doubt that would have happened, no way is he 3 rounds better than those other three centers, especially Schwenke who I liked better.

The Gavin pick was icing on the cake. Like you said they've been trying to run the 12 personal for years and failed many times. Jason is too stubborn tho to change. His stubbornness in many of his coaching aspects is going to be his downfall. Granted a lot of people have come out and said this guy is going to be really good, I don't trust this organization to make it happen. I would have double downed on the oline there and taken a guard or tackle.

Just depressing seeing this same shyt year after year. Seeing the Giants constantly reload the trenches (2 oline/2 dline drafted) while we run Ratliff, Ware, and Spencer into the ground. If Ware or Spencer goes down who is the back up when they are trying to bulk up Crawford to play inside? Dead ass who is it lol? shyt if you don't know what you're doing, then just copy Seattle, they seemed to have figured out the formula.

Seattle's DL before the Draft:

56 Cliff Avril DE
72 Michael Bennett DT
79 Red Bryant DE
91 Chris Clemons DE
94 Jaye Howard DT
51 Bruce Irvin DE
99 Tony McDaniel DT
69 Clinton McDonald DT/DE
92 Brandon Mebane DT
98 Greg Scruggs DE
95 Myles Wade DT

They Added:

Jordan Hill
Jessee Williams

Knowing Jerry, he'll probably end up signing 2 of those guys from that list to 50 million dollar contracts instead of drafting them and using their cheap contracts for 4 years. :aicmon:

I watched a lot of the war room cam and it's so obvious this organization is mismanaged. For the entire first half of the 1st round Jason was sitting in the corner schmoozing with Charlotte Jones while Jerry was surround with the scouts, i'm sorry cronies. Stephen Jones might be the worst of them all. The guy looked like a deer in headlights in the post 1st round press conference. You could tell he had no clue how badly he goofed. Hearing Jerry Jones trying to describe what he liked about Frederick was like listening to Sarah Palin trying to discuss Middle East politics. You could tell he had just got briefed by someone prior to the PC and he just regurgitated what he was told. That being said he is better than his two worthless sons who seem to only know how to talk about the different events coming to Cowboys Stadium. I really just hate all of them. His wife and his daughter for turning our stadium into an art gallery. His two sons for destroying the cap. Even his grandson looks like a pansy.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Did yall see these quotes from Coach Jones about Romo and his work ethic?

By Michael David Smith
Apr 28, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
Jerry Jones wants Tony Romo to work like Peyton Manning

Now that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has given quarterback Tony Romo a six-year, $108 million contract, Jones wants to see Romo make his entire life revolve around football.

“Peyton Manning-type time on the job,” Jones said he wants Romo to work, via the Dallas Morning News.

Jones said he and Cowboys coach Jason Garrett would love to see Romo spend the majority of his waking hours at the team facility.

“If Tony, for instance, would be here Monday through Saturday . . . from seven in the morning to six o’clock at night all over this place then that’s better than the way it’s been,” Jones said. “We’ll have more success, and Jason believes that. It’s certainly at quarterback but he believes it at the other positions. Tony is going to have more time, more presence, not only in the offseason but when the season starts, beginning Monday, assuming we played Sundays. He’s going to have more time on the job. A part of what we agreed with was extra time on the job, beyond the norm.”

Fair or not, Romo has taken criticism at times in his career for a perception that he doesn’t always have all his focus on football: Whether it’s working on his golf game, dating celebrities or going on vacations during bye weeks, Romo has heard talk that he has too many outside distractions.

Jones recently called that criticism “ridiculous,” but Jones also says he admires the way Manning doesn’t just do what is required of an NFL quarterback, and he hopes Romo will use Manning as his role model.

“Anybody will tell you that Peyton Manning’s involvement in what they do is a bonus as opposed to what the general commitment is of top quarterbacks in the NFL,” Jones said. “That’s a bonus. Again, because I haven’t been in meetings with Peyton for a long time, but we’re committed and [Romo's] committed to that type of in-season and off-season approach for these years under his contract.”

Romo is certainly being paid enough to work overtime.
zack is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
To be fair, Dallas didn't really need to draft on defense. Only really need LBs

A million times easier switching to a 43 then 34

They will see who can or can't make the switch then draft next year.

No we needed to address the dline because of age and depth problems. You can't just keep ignoring your trenches and think your team will succeed. Look at what Seattle is doing.

I'm fine waiting to address the secondary until round 3. I am not a fan of Reid. Would have liked Cyprien though. But we did need a versatile player on the oline. Lets be real and Frederick was not going to make it to the 3rd round especially at pick 80.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Did yall see these quotes from Coach Jones about Romo and his work ethic?

The reason they are saying is because like someone said on the fan. Romo is going to be the one calling the plays and directing the offense. Something he's been wanting to do for a while.