Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
and you're employed as a developer? I try to learn on my own but there's so much shyt idk how I'd "study", like testing, pair programming, deploying your app, etc
Yep. First thing to do is find out what kind of programming you want to get into. You'll pretty much have to learn HTML/CSS/Javascript since things are going web-based. Start off at codecademy.com

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Does anybody know of any bootcamp-like/intern opportunities that DON'T cost a year's tuition or require x-years of experience? shyt is rough out here if you're new & trying to enter the field. Everybody ain't able :mjcry:

Freecodecamp.com I'm using it now. Si far so good.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
and you're employed as a developer? I try to learn on my own but there's so much shyt idk how I'd "study", like testing, pair programming, deploying your app, etc
What path are you trying to go down?

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
How far are you in that, I finished most of it just gotta do the projects to unlock the locked courses, I been holding off that for awhile ...

I'm in the front end development phase still. I'm starting the first basic front end development. It's says 50 hours for both but I should be able to finish in an hour or two.

I'm thinking about skipping to Object Oriented and Functional Programming. I'm pretty comfortable with JavaScript.

Is it me or does it feel like they set the bar high for how many hours it takes to complete a module? I finish the 5 hour modules in about 1.5 hours. Maybe closer to 2 hours.

Do you feel you're ready to work since you're almost done?

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm in the front end development phase still. I'm starting the first basic front end development. It's says 50 hours for both but I should be able to finish in an hour or two.

I'm thinking about skipping to Object Oriented and Functional Programming. I'm pretty comfortable with JavaScript.

Is it me or does it feel like they set the bar high for how many hours it takes to complete a module? I finish the 5 hour modules in about 1.5 hours. Maybe closer to 2 hours.

Do you feel you're ready to work since you're almost done?

Did you have prior programming or coding experience coming in? My mistake, I been skimping around the algorithms were fun to do, im at the intermediate front end projects, and still need do the basic front end projects :heh:
When you finish your tribute project mind dropping the link, just want use it for comparison?

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Did you have prior programming or coding experience coming in? My mistake, I been skimping around the algorithms were fun to do, im at the intermediate front end projects, and still need do the basic front end projects :heh:
When you finish your tribute project mind dropping the link, just want use it for comparison?

On the experience. Yes and no. I started learning code in March or April this year on codecademy.com, udacity, and udemy. I think they're all useful but there isn't much flow from one module to the next. I prefer freecodecamp.com for that reason.

Yeah I'll post it. Right now I'm trying to duplicate the Dr. Norman Borlaug tribute page for practice. When I finish I'll definitely post my tribute page.

Don't be afraid to be critical if it sucks. :pachaha: It's the only way I'll get better.

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Brehs, I just found a free data and algorithms course on coursera for anyone who wants to enroll. The downside is that it starts in September. And if you can't wait UC Berkeley has a free lecture series on Youtube.

Here are both the links
Java Lectures - Data Structrues & Algorithms - UC Berkeley - YouTube
Coursera - Free Online Courses From Top Universities

And I just purchased these two books

41%2BpJNrGujL._SX359_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51pINwAeu5L._SX357_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

Slick_Vic

Rookie
Daps
Lynda.com

Worth every penny. My job bought a subscription for us.

Any and everything you can think of is on there (programming, .NET, c#, javascript, html, css, Adobe Photoshop, Mobile Development, etc.)

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Freecodecamp.com I'm using it now. Si far so good.

I signed up for that a while back and wasn't really feeling it. I'll have to come back around to it.

What path are you trying to go down?

Back-end. For a while I was bouncing around w/languages but I've spent a bit of time with Pythonso Imma cconcentrate on that preferably and make it my core language and then venture into Java or C++ :lupe:

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Brehs, I just found a free data and algorithms course on coursera for anyone who wants to enroll. The downside is that it starts in September. And if you can't wait UC Berkeley has a free lecture series on Youtube.

Here are both the links
Java Lectures - Data Structrues & Algorithms - UC Berkeley - YouTube
Coursera - Free Online Courses From Top Universities

And I just purchased these two books

Hope this helps someone.

Stanford has a 2-part course on algorithm design and analysis starting next week :youngsabo:

Algorithms: Design and Analysis, Part 1 (Summer '16) | Stanford Online

Algorithms: Design and Analysis, Part 2 (Summer 16') | Stanford Online

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Back-end. For a while I was bouncing around w/languages but I've spent a bit of time with Pythonso Imma cconcentrate on that preferably and make it my core language and then venture into Java or C++ :lupe:

That's wassup. I'm focusing on Javascript at the moment and I should be job ready for a Jr. Dev role in a few months. Udemy has some great courses on Python and if you got some bread Team treehouse is a good resource to look at. They have an entire Python track for you to follow.

Good shyt.

Last edited: