Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
One of the most important things I've found once you get in this field is to have the proper attitude. You're going to feel dumb daily. You probably won't step into your job as the whiz kid that knows how to do everything. A lot of, if not most of your coworkers will be better than you. If you can push your ego out of the way, this is a great thing, because it opens up huge opportunities to learn. Learn to befriend your coworkers, because they will be the ones to really help you get out of a jam when you're stuck. And realize that you'll always be learning. This isn't a field where you can sit around and coast. New technologies are flying out of the woodworks.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
LOL. I know people on my job probably thought I was being a smart ass during a meeting today. I basically told the team. we have around 7 projects and more on the way(I'm new to this team btw). How come we have no common libraries among the projects?

I said

Developer 1 - works on a problem and solves it.

Developer 2 ( on a different project ) works on the same type of problem or very similar problem. Wastes time trying to solve the problem when Developer 1 may have solved it months back.

Communication has consistently been one of the biggest problems I've come across no matter where i'm at in IT..lol

Just create a common base code and let other team members just inherit/implement from it with their specific needs..:snoop:

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any Java developers in here that have used JavaFX for their GUIs? I'm just learning it now and I gotta say it's huge a improvement visually over Swing, which was looking like it was stuck in the Windows XP days.
Started using javafx the other day, the ability to use css instead that crappy L&F, now I need improve css skills :blessed:
If scene builder could generate code like windows builder for actions events, I wouldn't think twice going back to swing

Double J

Banned
Daps
CodingBat Java

Any body learning Java or even experienced developers should try out this website to brush up on their skills. It has a bunch of programming problems each divided into categories and levels of difficulty. You can compile and test your code right on the website and it keeps track of your progress. I've found it to be a good tool to help keep my skills sharp.

Last edited:

Double J

Banned
Daps
Here is an example of a problem from CodingBat:

"Given a string and an int n, return a string made of n repetitions of the last n characters of the string. You may assume that n is between 0 and the length of the string, inclusive."

Here is my solution:

Code:
public String repeatEnd(String str, int n) {

String word = "";

for(int i = n; i > 0; i--){
   for(int j = str.length() - n ; j < str.length(); j++){
      word = word + (str.charAt(j));
  }
   }
   return word;
}

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
It's hard to find Black programmers where I am, the only people I know/are friends with who program with any kind of ambition are Asian :snoop:
I need to expand this somehow

Meetup.com has nice groups to connect with for study or networking on specific languages. I was able to connect with some as I learned MEAN stack and connected with some people. Also, check for NSBE Meetups (more engineers and biotech), should be some programmers if hosted in a larger/major city.

There are also orgs like BlackGirlsCode but don't know of any specifically for brehs but you can always GTS.

Double J

Banned
Daps
Finally getting to the point where I can make fully functional and interactive programs with GUI's. Never really thought I would get to this point when I first started. Thought I'd be stuck on the command line forever haha. I'm gonna stick with regular Java for a while longer and then start learning to develop Android apps.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Man this job can be rough as fukk.

I spend a lot of time trying to get different apps, languages, libraries to work together.

Today I had to set up our xml feed, I had to use some ruby scripts to get dynamic data for the xml feed, I had to learn a new templating language for campaign monitor, and had to edit some rss tags in the HTML template to get it all to look nice.

shyt like that can be a headache I would rather just stick to building out apps with Rails. Working in a small company you have to work on a little bit of everything. I have spent alot of time learning about analytics and content marketing in the past few weeks as well.

There is so much to learn in this field that you can get overwhelmed really easily.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Man this job can be rough as fukk.

I spend a lot of time trying to get different apps, languages, libraries to work together.

Today I had to set up our xml feed, I had to use some ruby scripts to get dynamic data for the xml feed, I had to learn a new templating language for campaign monitor, and had to edit some rss tags in the HTML template to get it all to look nice.

shyt like that can be a headache I would rather just stick to building out apps with Rails. Working in a small company you have to work on a little bit of everything. I have spent alot of time learning about analytics and content marketing in the past few weeks as well.

There is so much to learn in this field that you can get overwhelmed really easily.

Yep, especially if you're working in a small company, you're going to have to be learning nonstop. I'm going through the same thing at my job.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Man I need 40 hours in the day. I just don't know how i'm going to pull off side projects with school coming up( Job is paying for it , so that's one positive ) and new projects at work. and I feel bad for even complaining about this.

We need a "Programmers Random Thoughts" thread. :laff::laff:

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Any unity 3d programmers looking for a job at a banging ass unapologetically black video game company?

Double J

Banned
Daps
Here's another problem from CodingBat I just finished.

"Return true if the string "cat" and "dog" appear the same number of times in the given string."

My solution:

Code:
public boolean catDog(String str) {
  int cat = 0;
  int dog = 0;

for(int i = 0; i < str.length() - 2; i++){
    if(str.substring(i, i + 3).equals("cat"))
      cat++;

if(str.substring(i, i + 3).equals("dog"))
      dog++;
  }

return(cat == dog);
}

Anyone else care to share their solution whether it be in Java or another language?

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Man, I don't know what it is, but this normalizing SQL databases has me confused as shyt.

I can run the queries fine, the syntax is not really much of an issue, but getting my ass handed to me trying to get the right normalization down.