Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Jon Duckett has a great book on Javascript and Jquery and it helped me tremendously in learning the concepts and logic of the language. Another good source I use is Team Treehouse and The Complete Web developer course on Udemy. The instructor gives you free web hosting for a year and teaches everything from HTML all the way to API's.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Well honestly, Javascript can be a very confusing language, given how fast it is evolving and the fact that it is prototypal inheritance over class based inheritance in most of the renditions. Focus on ES6 and above, and you should have less problems understanding it since it has syntactical sugar for class based inheritance.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Oh yeah, here's the Scrum book

41v8D4jdLlL._SX335_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Very short book, about 50 pages or so. I was suppose to do a presentation on Scrum at work, but my lead forgot :blessed:........

Last edited:

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
For people trying to get into this industry. Something to put on your resume

Agile: Scrum

I'll post a good short book for it when I get to my desktop. But I'm sure HR would love to see this.

Do you mean going for the cert?

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Just having the knowledge of it. I don't think having any of the certs will have developers. The only people I see going for the certs are analyst.

How Facebook Does Agile -- ADTmag

I was browsing their site and I saw a SCRUM cert for developers, but the price for trainers and courses was through the roof. The vid is interesting and it shows how developers on multiple platforms are constantly in collaboration. Just copped the book you posted and the Elements of SCRUM. Thanks.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I just cannot do corporate America for the rest of my life.The pay is only great for so long. But if you come in to work and you are bored with your projects you are going to be miserable.

I really need to get on starting my dream job of either working at a game studio or starting one.

I'm going to start a dev log in here soon showcasing a game I'm going to start.

Edit: I also encourage anyone in here working on a personal project to start a dev log and post in here. It helps you to stay with the project.

Last edited:

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
I just cannot do corporate America for the rest of my life.The pay is only great for so long. But if you come in to work and you are bored with your projects you are going to be miserable.

I really need to get on starting my dream job of either working at a game studio or starting one.

I'm going to start a dev log in here soon showcasing a game I'm going to start.

Edit: I also encourage anyone in here working on a personal project to start a dev log and post in here. It helps you to stay with the project.
What kind of game you making? :lupe:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Which platform? PC?

PC. I'm using the below course to get my pixel art skills up

Pixel art for Video games - Udemy

was able to follow through some of the course and come up with this

2gt6z9u.png

I'll probably just focus on finishing up this course before doing anything.

edit: and Yes that Pine tree looks horrible...lol

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Just bought these two courses from Udemy to improve my design and typography skills on the front end.

Design Beautiful Websites with Web Typography (2016)
Graphic Design Hero: Apply Graphic Design in Projects

And I recently purchased the "You don't know Javascript" book series off Amazon. Gonna really dive deep into the language to get a deeper understanding than just coding. I feel like knowing the "why" and "how" will go a long way in being a successful developer.

41FhogvNebL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

They also have it free to read on Github
GitHub - getify/You-Dont-Know-JS: A book series on JavaScript. @YDKJS on twitter.

Last edited:

Tatsuya Suou

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
日本の国
PC. I'm using the below course to get my pixel art skills up

Pixel art for Video games - Udemy

was able to follow through some of the course and come up with this

2gt6z9u.png

I'll probably just focus on finishing up this course before doing anything.

edit: and Yes that Pine tree looks horrible...lol

Wow my dude. As a fellow aspiring game developer I must applaud your amazing work. I'm still trying to get the grips with pixel art myself, haha. What engine are you using to develop your game? I personally use GM Studio.