Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I am currently recruiting an animator, special effects, and video editor for my video game production. We are well into development and wish to make our game more unique.

As an animator, you will need to learn live2d.

Compensation will be based on what your scope of work in our project will be. If you are very skilled, I will be able to give you more work and thus give you better compensation.

Click the link below and comment on my main thread to apply or quote me.

9kFoZ4l.jpg

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
Another key is to not take rejection personal. You're going to have to submit a ton of applications and you might come across a lot of rejections. Just keep applying to a ton of them. A recruiter also told me the importance of linked in. It's pretty much 'your resume' in this digital age. That's what a lot of recruiters look at first. Make it a fun game and see how many rejections you can rack up in a week. The more the better. Why? Because you're going to have to get used to applying to a ton of companies if you don't have any professional experience. If you know what you're doing in regards to your technology stack, one will eventually take a chance on you, but that won't be until after you've put in possibly 25+ applications.
:whoo:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Making a game is pretty much what gave me the motivation to program. It's something I will eventually settle down to do, but I have a lot to learn first. Stick with it and you'll eventually get to the level that you desire.

props for always dropping advice and tips:salute:

just checked your blogs out too and you have some good stuff on both.

Last edited:

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Finally starting to feel comfortable digging through others code and figuring out what is going on. Now instead of googling a tutorial about x subject I will just look at the documentation and then hop into the source code to figure out how it is working.

I really lucked up for my first job. Even though I work remote my senior dev is very patient and knowledgeable and I feel like I am learning tons from working with him. The pay is not great but being able to have this flexibility with my schedule and learning from the other devs seems worth it.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Finally starting to feel comfortable digging through others code and figuring out what is going on. Now instead of googling a tutorial about x subject I will just look at the documentation and then hop into the source code to figure out how it is working.

I really lucked up for my first job. Even though I work remote my senior dev is very patient and knowledgeable and I feel like I am learning tons from working with him. The pay is not great but being able to have this flexibility with my schedule and learning from the other devs seems worth it.

Yep, the first two years almost like an internship. You might not get paid all that great, but you're going to be learning a ton, and those skills will eventually translate into the big money later.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Yep, the first two years almost like an internship. You might not get paid all that great, but you're going to be learning a ton, and those skills will eventually translate into the big money later.
Yea I am not making great money but I am just happy I got my foot in the door. Since its a smaller software consultancy shop I am involved in the entire process and get great exposure to many different things. I just actually got offered a job for literally double my current salary. It is for a QA position at a ruby shop but I don't think I am going to take it. I really like how relaxed working from home is. If I want to take a three-hour lunch and work late that's fine. If I want to start at 6 and work through lunch so I get off at 2 that is fine also. The bigger reason for not taking it is I really like the work I am doing now. It is interesting and I get to build things for clients. If I switch to QA even though I would be getting paid more now I think it would set me back career wise and I would pay the price a few years down the line.

If I stick with this path I think I will be making 90k -100k in two years.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yea I am not making great money but I am just happy I got my foot in the door. Since its a smaller software consultancy shop I am involved in the entire process and get great exposure to many different things. I just actually got offered a job for literally double my current salary. It is for a QA position at a ruby shop but I don't think I am going to take it. I really like how relaxed working from home is. If I want to take a three-hour lunch and work late that's fine. If I want to start at 6 and work through lunch so I get off at 2 that is fine also. The bigger reason for not taking it is I really like the work I am doing now. It is interesting and I get to build things for clients. If I switch to QA even though I would be getting paid more now I think it would set me back career wise and I would pay the price a few years down the line.

That makes a lot of sense. QA would probably pay you more money now, but you'd make more money later and still be doing what you enjoy by staying with what you're doing now. I can't wait to work on the server-side, but I think this front-end work is helpful for me in order to get my front-end skills up to par. What are your favorite rails gems?

Daps
Reppin
San Antonio,TX

What are you doing that has you working from home? I dont really know anything about this stuff yet so im just trying to figure out where to start. Did you take courses on udemy?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I'm having a mid-life crisis. It's funny when I was younger ( before I had my son ) I use to wonder how come all these talented people who worked at Microsoft/Google/Yahoo etc.. Why didn't most of these people go out and start their own software projects and form their own company.Now I know why.... After being in front of a computer, programming all day , When you get home you are just burned out. Like sometimes I don't even want to look at my computer.

I just need something to motivate me...Think I'm going to go back and learn 3D modeling again....just something different to do. I don't want to run the risk of programmer burnout

Programming Burnout: How to Regain Your Lost Motivation

Why burnout happens
Burnout seems to occur amongst the programmers more often than professionals in other fields. I don’t have a definite answer as to why this happens, but I suspect there are four main reasons.

1. The first one is physical. Sitting at your desk, in front of the computer every day, is unhealthy, making you feel more lethargic. Lethargy may also lead to other not so good habits such as snacking during the day, indulging in stimulants, staying up late and so on. This eventually causes resentment.

Edit: Hopefully when I transfer to my new team in June, it reg-energizes me.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm having a mid-life crisis. It's funny when I was younger ( before I had my son ) I use to wonder how come all these talented people who worked at Microsoft/Google/Yahoo etc.. Why didn't most of these people go out and start their own software projects and form their own company.Now I know why.... After being in front of a computer, programming all day , When you get home you are just burned out. Like sometimes I don't even want to look at my computer.

I just need something to motivate me...Think I'm going to go back and learn 3D modeling again....just something different to do. I don't want to run the risk of programmer burnout

Programming Burnout: How to Regain Your Lost Motivation

Why burnout happens
Burnout seems to occur amongst the programmers more often than professionals in other fields. I don’t have a definite answer as to why this happens, but I suspect there are four main reasons.

1. The first one is physical. Sitting at your desk, in front of the computer every day, is unhealthy, making you feel more lethargic. Lethargy may also lead to other not so good habits such as snacking during the day, indulging in stimulants, staying up late and so on. This eventually causes resentment.

Edit: Hopefully when I transfer to my new team in June, it reg-energizes me.

I think at the end of the day, if you do anything too much, you just get sick of it. Mixing up your activities and doing something else in your free time is a great way to avoid getting burned out. I think we all can sense when burnout is coming, but we've been taught to 'push past' our emotions and keep on trucking and that's when burn out really starts to set in. When you start to feel that emotional fatigue, sometimes it's best just to completely back way from programming and allow your mind to recuperate and your interest to rekindle.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
What are you doing that has you working from home? I dont really know anything about this stuff yet so im just trying to figure out where to start. Did you take courses on udemy?

try out codecademy.com to start

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
Writing programs now :banderas:
it's a :ahh: feeling indeed.
what you got for us, like what'd you make? you just beginning??

I've been working on this as I went through the Object Oriented Programming book mentioned earlier in this thread and it's rewarding to see your progress through something you actually created. through all the dumb code, nailing down randomization and debugging obstacles galore it still is :myman:to run it......

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
keep it up ya'll.

I've really been delving into angular 2. It's amazing what the front end can do these days. In a lot of ways, you can put the majority of your program on the front-end now and use the server to pretty much just save the data (data persistence).