Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
keep it up ya'll.

I've really been delving into angular 2. It's amazing what the front end can do these days. In a lot of ways, you can put the majority of your program on the front-end now and use the server to pretty much just save the data (data persistence).
Yea I wish we could get this thread more active, :salute: to you for keeping it alive.

I have been given my first client project at my new job and have been overwhelmed with all the new things I need to pick up. I paired with my senior dev who walked me through the process of using ansible to set up and maintain servers. That is a whole nother beast which I have had 0 exposure to and honestly don't find very interesting. Unfortunately since we are a small company we are supposed to be able to handle the dev ops side of things as well so this is something I have to learn. On another note, I am starting to feel confident in my ruby/rails code and have really focused on writing clean well thought out code.

I just got word from my boss that they sold their main piece of software the built for 2-3 mill and now we are switching 100% to consulting work. I was worried he was going to take that money and retire so it's nice to know I still have a job.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yea I wish we could get this thread more active, :salute: to you for keeping it alive.

I have been given my first client project at my new job and have been overwhelmed with all the new things I need to pick up. I paired with my senior dev who walked me through the process of using ansible to set up and maintain servers. That is a whole nother beast which I have had 0 exposure to and honestly don't find very interesting. Unfortunately since we are a small company we are supposed to be able to handle the dev ops side of things as well so this is something I have to learn. On another note, I am starting to feel confident in my ruby/rails code and have really focused on writing clean well thought out code.

I just got word from my boss that they sold their main piece of software the built for 2-3 mill and now we are switching 100% to consulting work. I was worried he was going to take that money and retire so it's nice to know I still have a job.

One thing that I find every important is to have your linked in and other portfolio pieces ready to go. I'm on a contracting job so really, I don't know how long that will last, so it's important for me to be able to move on quickly if the work doesn't last too much longer.

I think with those smaller companies, you do more work, but you learn a lot more since you have to pretty much touch all kinds of different things. I'm sure where you're at will definitely make you a better developer. Right now I'm having a hard time deciding whether to continue with Rails on the back end or move on to node.js

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

One thing that I find every important is to have your linked in and other portfolio pieces ready to go. I'm on a contracting job so really, I don't know how long that will last, so it's important for me to be able to move on quickly if the work doesn't last too much longer.

I think with those smaller companies, you do more work, but you learn a lot more since you have to pretty much touch all kinds of different things. I'm sure where you're at will definitely make you a better developer. Right now I'm having a hard time deciding whether to continue with Rails on the back end or move on to node.js

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Trying to learn a front end framework to pair with Golang on the server side. I'm definitely sticking to the latter for my server side scripting from here on out.

I just made a student grade table that makes api calls to controllers which calls to the DB, but the front end is only is vanilla Javascript, although at least that's coded in Object-oriented design.

Anybody have a good resource for React?

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Trying to learn a front end framework to pair with Golang on the server side. I'm definitely sticking to the latter for my server side scripting from here on out.

I just made a student grade table that makes api calls to controllers which calls to the DB, but the front end is only is vanilla Javascript, although at least that's coded in Object-oriented design.

Anybody have a good resource for React?

Learn React.js with React.js Program

He offers the fundamentals React course free but you should definitely take the es6 course.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Thanks brehs. That React course bundle for $425 may be a little too steep of a price financially for me at the moment. But it looks very elaborate.

I'll start off with the udemy stuff for now, see if I can build with it, and if not I'll look into that reactjs.program site.

Appreciate once again guys.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Thanks brehs. That React course bundle for $425 may be a little too steep of a price financially for me at the moment. But it looks very elaborate.

I'll start off with the udemy stuff for now, see if I can build with it, and if not I'll look into that reactjs.program site.

Appreciate once again guys.

He offers a free course that teaches the fundamentals, trust me, it's worth checking out.

React.js Fundamentals: The best place to become familiar with React.js and the React.js Ecosystem

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm getting more into learning python. It's crazy I've tried several times to do it but now I'm highly interested so I'll keep on going. I need to succeed. Read an awesome article about it last night. Will post in a sec

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
What Is Code? If You Don't Know, You Need to Read This

7.5 Should You Learn to Code?
I spoke with some friends in their 40s who had spent careers in technology. I was complaining. I said, “I mentor some millennials, and my God. Every job is a contract position. Nothing comes with health care. They carry so much debt.” They looked at me with perplexity. It took a moment, and then one of them said: “Not if they can code.”

You probably already do code. You do it in Excel or Google Spreadsheets. You run little processes in a sequence or do a series of find-and-replace routines in a big document.

Programming as a career can lead to a rewarding, solidly middle-class existence. If you are inclined and enjoy the work, it’s a good way to spend time, and if you work for and with good people, it can be very fun—even the dry parts have something to teach you. Of course this is true of any place where smart people work. If your situation is lousy, you can probably find another job more easily than, say, a writer.

The industry twists and turns so often, though, that who knows what the next 10 or 20 years will bring? The iPhone, and mobile in general, created a brief renaissance for people who could program using lower-level languages such as Objective-C, people who could worry about a computer’s memory. Perhaps the Internet of Things will turn everything into a sensor. (Already you wander Disney World with a wristband, and it watches and tracks you; the whole place is a computer. Δ) This will require yet more low-level thinking. And then there will be websites to make, apps to build, and on and on.

There’s likely to be work. But it’s a global industry, and there are thousands of people in India with great degrees. Some used to work at Microsoft, Google, and IBM. The same things that made programming a massive world-spanning superstructure—that you can ship nothing and charge for it—make it the perfect globalized industry. There’s simply no reason, aside from prejudice, to think that Mumbai or Seoul can’t make big, complex things as well as Palo Alto or Seattle.

You might learn to program because there’s a new economy as irrational, weird, and painful as the old one. Books and songs are now rows in databases, and whole films are made on CPUs, without a real ray of light penetrating a lens. Maybe learning to code will give you a decoder ring for the future. Disruption is just optimization by another name. SDKs are just culture encoded and made reproducible, and to an entire generation, they’re received as rapturously as Beatles albums were decades ago. The coder-turned-venture-capitalist-turned-Twitter-public-intellectual Marc Andreessen wrote that software is eating the world. If that’s true, you should at least know why it’s so hungry.

I’ve been the man in the taupe blazer, for sure, the person who brings the digital where it’s not welcome and is certain that his way is better. It took me a long time to learn why this might not be welcomed—why an executive, an editor, or a librarian might not enjoy hearing about his entire world being upended because someone has a new toy in his pocket. I didn’t put the toy in anyone’s pocket, and you shouldn’t kill the messenger. But messengers aren’t blameless, either.

Aside from serious fevers and the occasional trip to the woods, I’ve used a computer every day for 28 years. I learn about the world through software. I learned about publishing by using the desktop publishing system QuarkXPress, and I learned about color and art by using a program called Deluxe Paint. Software taught me math and basic statistics. It taught me how to calculate great circle distance, estimating the distance between two points on a globe. I learned about the Internet by creating Web pages, and I learned about music through MIDI. And most of all, software taught me about software.

I like cheap old computers more than new ones, and my laptop creaks when it opens. My house is filled with books and soft, nondigital things. But my first thought when I have to accomplish some personal or professional task is, What code can I use? What software will teach me what I need to know? When I want to learn something and no software exists, the vacuum bugs me—why isn’t someone on this?

This is what Silicon Valley must be thinking, too, as it optimizes the hell out of every industry it can, making software (and the keepers of that software) the middleman. The Valley has the world in its sights. Government, industry, social services, human sexuality, agriculture: They want to get in there and influence the whole shebang.

Code has atomized entire categories of existence that previously appeared whole. Skilled practitioners have turned this explosive ability to their near total benefit. Bookstores exist now in opposition to Amazon, and Amazon’s interpretation of an electronic book is the reference point for the world. For its part, Amazon is not really a bookseller as much as a set of optimization problems around digital and physical distribution. Microsoft Office defined what it was to work, leading to a multidecade deluge of PowerPoint. Uber seeks to recast transportation in its own image, and thousands more startups exist with stars in their eyes and the feverish will to disrupt, disrupt, disrupt, disrupt.

I’m happy to have lived through the greatest capital expansion in history, an era in which the entirety of our species began to speak, awkwardly, in digital abstractions, as venture capitalists waddle around like mama birds, dropping blog posts and seed rounds into the mouths of waiting baby bird developers, all of them certain they will grow up to be billionaires. It’s a comedy of ego, made possible by logic gates. I am not smart enough to be rich, but I’m always entertained. I hope you will be, too. Hello, world!

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Learning code is a cool thing, but most people would be best suited to either take an entrepreneurial bent with it or to learn another subject as well so in case the tech thing falls off, you can fall back on that other subject and actually bring your tech skills into that. This whole everybody needs to code movement exists pretty much to reduce the wages of the programming industry, so enjoy it while the money is here, but realize where the trends are going.

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Learning code is a cool thing, but most people would be best suited to either take an entrepreneurial bent with it or to learn another subject as well so in case the tech thing falls off, you can fall back on that other subject and actually bring your tech skills into that. This whole everybody needs to code movement exists pretty much to reduce the wages of the programming industry, so enjoy it while the money is here, but realize where the trends are going.
That is true, I'm also in university right now studying to be a linguist and do an exchange program in Germany and return with a bachelors in German as well. I also have a plan to go to law school and be a politician, I've just realized that:
1. theres too much money out there to not stay down
2. Coding is actually cool, I'm meticulous like that (just last week I thought about getting into working on watches, the wind up kind that use gears)
3. To have influence or power I need money
4. Coding is similar to linguistics, Syntax especially
5. This the chasers, what you though

But from what I got out of the article is the industry won't change for another decade or so, and still I don't think there will be enough coders to match the amount of business there is out there, at least for a while.

lets get this paper y'all, let's expand our minds, let's work on actualizing ourselves and being all that we can be, gaining knowledge.

This ain't just for the paper, this is to expand my mind, to meet challenges and problem solve, this is for the future.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
That is true, I'm also in university right now studying to be a linguist and do an exchange program in Germany and return with a bachelors in German as well. I also have a plan to go to law school and be a politician, I've just realized that:
1. theres too much money out there to not stay down
2. Coding is actually cool, I'm meticulous like that (just last week I thought about getting into working on watches, the wind up kind that use gears)
3. To have influence or power I need money
4. Coding is similar to linguistics, Syntax especially
5. This the chasers, what you though

But from what I got out of the article is the industry won't change for another decade or so, and still I don't think there will be enough coders to match the amount of business there is out there, at least for a while.

lets get this paper y'all, let's expand our minds, let's work on actualizing ourselves and being all that we can be, gaining knowledge.

This ain't just for the paper, this is to expand my mind, to meet challenges and problem solve, this is for the future.

The creator of perl was actually a linguist. Most modern programming is more of logic and expressing things in programming linguistics than it is hardcore math unless you're doing something like game programming or some kind of simulation. I don't want to discourage anyone from joining the field, but I just believe it's best for people to be fluid and not overly reliant on any one field these days. Things change quick. Learning coding is an excellent supplement to any other field and will really set you apart if you aren't interested in doing coding full time. On the other hand, having strong knowledge of another field will help set you apart from the run of the mill coder out there.

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The creator of perl was actually a linguist. Most modern programming is more of logic and expressing things in programming linguistics than it is hardcore math unless you're doing something like game programming or some kind of simulation. I don't want to discourage anyone from joining the field, but I just believe it's best for people to be fluid and not overly reliant on any one field these days. Things change quick. Learning coding is an excellent supplement to any other field and will really set you apart if you aren't interested in doing coding full time. On the other hand, having strong knowledge of another field will help set you apart from the run of the mill coder out there.
Larry Wall, thanks for putting me onto him and even Perl, knew about neither of the two.

(Funny he went to Seattle Pacific, I live 2 hours away from Seattle, and am from the NW so to hear about success in my region is lovely. Actually Bill Gates is from the NW and Steve Jobs went to Reed College, which is in the city that I'm from, so maybe there's something about the NW that inspires tech. Hopefully the magic will rub off on me...)

I agree with you, definitely not kev. I think that this has always been true, even in the days of the Hellenistic Era. One could be more than a mathematician, and my goal is self actualization, I don't want to stop learning.

That's true, I think it would be good to learn for just having the ability to store such knowledge and gain it.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
@kevm3 I agree with your point. While I don't think the demand/high-salary for developers is going anywhere soon it is still a possibility to prepare for.

I also agree that coding is something that can help you in any job you might have. I think back to my finance job and can could probably now automate 30% of my work. Its a great feeling to see a script you wrote do work that would have taken you all week. For example, I just wrote this script which parsed 600 blog posts, converted them to markdown, changed the name, created a new directory, and saved them. The script took me about an hour to write but it saved me 40+ hours if I had to do it by hand.

It is written really shytty because I was never going to use it again but here it is:
kJu7y6Z.png

But back to your point I can see a day where I am not as interested and excited to learn about new languages and frameworks as I am now and feel burnt out by coding every day. By that time, I am hoping to have my own business or SaaS similar to my bosses set up where I won't be coding every day. I think that if you are interested in being your own boss and starting your own company coding is a great skill to have.