Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Learning code is a cool thing, but most people would be best suited to either take an entrepreneurial bent with it or to learn another subject as well so in case the tech thing falls off, you can fall back on that other subject and actually bring your tech skills into that. This whole everybody needs to code movement exists pretty much to reduce the wages of the programming industry, so enjoy it while the money is here, but realize where the trends are going.

While I don't agree 100% , you never know with the future. But this is why i recommend to anyone asking me about programming and really "want" to do programming to learn development languages and go into an industry that really requires a college degree( not saying you need one ). If you look at all these boot-camp classes( and i'm not knocking them ) you'll never hear them talk about algorithms( Big O notion etc), why? because they know most people will run away from programming if they see any math involved.

I firmly believe the programmers whose job involve some sort of math ( OS development , Game programming / 3D graphics , Simulations , embedded programming etc) don't have to worry about this. Hence me going back to school in the fall for a Math degree( job paying for it ). After that I'm leaving my company...lol

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
While I don't agree 100% , you never know with the future. But this is why i recommend to anyone asking me about programming and really "want" to do programming to learn development languages and go into an industry that really requires a college degree( not saying you need one ). If you look at all these boot-camp classes( and i'm not knocking them ) you'll never hear them talk about algorithms( Big O notion etc), why? because they know most people will run away from programming if they see any math involved.

I firmly believe the programmers whose job involve some sort of math ( OS development , Game programming / 3D graphics , Simulations , embedded programming etc) don't have to worry about this. Hence me going back to school in the fall for a Math degree( job paying for it ). After that I'm leaving my company...lol

A big selling point point at coding caps is that "you don't need to be a math expert", which is true to some extent, I'm a web/app developer and I don't really use math but the guy here who develops for Occulus Rift can't do his job without math.

medium_Screenshot_2016-05-19_12.22.19.png

Bootcamps vs. College - Triplebyte

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Math is definitely a must if you're going to get into a field such as graphics programming, or something involving simulations, gaming, etc. It's something I plan on doing once my time frees up. With that said, a lot of these companies just need CRUD type apps or simple scripts, and with those, you don't really need to be a mathematician.

I agree with you that you vastly increase your job security if you learn mathematics and computer science thoroughly. The kind of guy who studies computer science and mathematics of his own volition is pretty much someone who will eventually be in the upper echelon of programmers and the elite in any field rarely have to worry about finding employment. But with that said, I recognize that not everyone is built for that, and there's still opportunities for people who don't have the inclination to delve deeply into computer science or mathematics, but if you are operating on that less strenuous crust, I'd definitely recommend to have a fall back field because with these coding schools popping up all over the place, companies are definitely trying to lower the costs of labor.

And with that said, that's why I ultimately recommend an entrepreneurial pursuit, because even if you have elite skills, you still will be dependent on somebody liking what you do enough to hopefully get a reasonable wage. I'm not too inclined to try to impress someone for too long, especially when their mission is to extract as much of my skills as possible for the least possible price. If somebody is paying you $120,000 a year, you have to ponder what they are making off of you in return knowing that businesses look at labor costs as an expense that needs to be kept as low as possible. That's why I eventually plan on trying other avenues such as teaching and releasing my own apps.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm trying to learn Python and Go right now. Python is used heavily at my work and I'm more of an Linux Operations guy but it is critical for me to learn this stuff.

Obviously books, videos, etc are out there but I highly recommend reading other people's code to get an understanding on how to write effective code.

On a similar note, does anyone here code in Go?

Regarding Bootcamps I feel most are snake oil in a can. You hardly ever learn any engineering concepts from these. I didn't complete college, but I started college in Engineer and took courses on engineering concepts, also took Calculus, Linear Algebra, etc...I don't use that much match in my role but I think it's good to understand the underlying concepts.

I also have mixed feelings on people learning about "The Cloud". People not understanding the underlying operating system and just running commands. I feel like these people coming out of bootcamps are just going to write fukkall for code and not understand the theory and write shytty code and Operations Engineers like myself have to pay the technical debt / consequences of their shytty code.

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Math is definitely a must if you're going to get into a field such as graphics programming, or something involving simulations, gaming, etc. It's something I plan on doing once my time frees up. With that said, a lot of these companies just need CRUD type apps or simple scripts, and with those, you don't really need to be a mathematician.

I agree with you that you vastly increase your job security if you learn mathematics and computer science thoroughly. The kind of guy who studies computer science and mathematics of his own volition is pretty much someone who will eventually be in the upper echelon of programmers and the elite in any field rarely have to worry about finding employment. But with that said, I recognize that not everyone is built for that, and there's still opportunities for people who don't have the inclination to delve deeply into computer science or mathematics, but if you are operating on that less strenuous crust, I'd definitely recommend to have a fall back field because with these coding schools popping up all over the place, companies are definitely trying to lower the costs of labor.

And with that said, that's why I ultimately recommend an entrepreneurial pursuit, because even if you have elite skills, you still will be dependent on somebody liking what you do enough to hopefully get a reasonable wage. I'm not too inclined to try to impress someone for too long, especially when their mission is to extract as much of my skills as possible for the least possible price. If somebody is paying you $120,000 a year, you have to ponder what they are making off of you in return knowing that businesses look at labor costs as an expense that needs to be kept as low as possible. That's why I eventually plan on trying other avenues such as teaching and releasing my own apps.
I respect that highly.

Friend just opened up his own business developing apps and teaching himself photoshop and then some. The market is somewhat free, if I'm not mistaken so I wouldn't see why many would be hesitant to venture off.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I'm trying to learn Python and Go right now. Python is used heavily at my work and I'm more of an Linux Operations guy but it is critical for me to learn this stuff.

Obviously books, videos, etc are out there but I highly recommend reading other people's code to get an understanding on how to write effective code.

On a similar note, does anyone here code in Go?

Regarding Bootcamps I feel most are snake oil in a can. You hardly ever learn any engineering concepts from these. I didn't complete college, but I started college in Engineer and took courses on engineering concepts, also took Calculus, Linear Algebra, etc...I don't use that much match in my role but I think it's good to understand the underlying concepts.

I also have mixed feelings on people learning about "The Cloud". People not understanding the underlying operating system and just running commands. I feel like these people coming out of bootcamps are just going to write fukkall for code and not understand the theory and write shytty code and Operations Engineers like myself have to pay the technical debt / consequences of their shytty code.

I've been coding in Go. Built an API in it recently. My favorite language so far. I just love how it's standard library is very consistent. Also the way it utilizes object-oriented coding through the use of data types by implementing what are called interfaces which are just a set of methods rather than straight up declaring inheritance is pretty awesome when you want to call helper functions.

I'd just recommend these books straight up:

Last edited:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've been coding in Go. Built an API in it recently. My favorite language so far. I just love how it's standard library is very consistent. Also the way it utilizes object-oriented coding through the use of data types by implementing what are called interfaces which are just a set of methods rather than straight up declaring inheritance is pretty awesome when you want to call helper functions.

I'd just recommend these books straight up:

Yeah I like how C-Like Go is TBH. Thanks man!

Last edited:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've been on Glassdoor tonight reading all of Google's interview process stuff. It seems that whether you're going for a SRE role or a developer role the interviewers will hit you hard on algorithms and data structures which is advanced math shyt. Much of my calculus/linear algebra knowledge is out of the door since I haven't been to college in about 9 years.

This shyt makes me want to go back to college and take Calc 1/2/3 & Differential Equations just so I can fukking grasp algorithmic concepts and interview. I'd like to interview to Google/Facebook/Dropbox once just to see how I do since they seem to be the hardest in the industry.