Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
In terms of C++ vs Java I hear that Java is the most popular language but C++ is the most popular language for game development. Which would you say it's better to have as your highest proficiency?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If you have the time, c++. It'd be easier to learn java afterwards since c++ is more difficult.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I'm trying to develop a video game/ mobile game for android from scratch, I have some knowledge of html programming but I just downloaded Android studio and I'm lost as fukk, can anyone help me here?!!? :dwillhuh:

Milk

Pro
Daps
Reppin
England
^^^ No problem.

Check out Stack Overflow. You can ask questions over there with knowledgeable people and they may direct you.

If you start programming on Android and you're stuck, stackoverflow is a good place to get help with it.

They've got quite a lot of content on Android in this tagged section.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When you're searching for android tutorials vidoes/ or books, make sure you get the most recent because android has changed a lot over years.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
When you're searching for android tutorials vidoes/ or books, make sure you get the most recent because android has changed a lot over years.

Yeah I noticed., I was gonna use eclipse because thats what I brought my android programming for dummies said to use and then I get around to using I guess was the development kit from their site and shyt was a 180... I kinda stopped reading the book it didnt even mention the program. I'm gonna need more information...

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah I noticed., I was gonna use eclipse because thats what I brought my android programming for dummies said to use and then I get around to using I guess was the development kit from their site and shyt was a 180... I kinda stopped reading the book it didnt even mention the program. I'm gonna need more information...
Are you not using Android Studio for android development??

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Are you not using Android Studio for android development??

I am... I just have to start from scratch I was learning to use the Eclipse. I didnt even know about the Android studio... I need to learn more... I want to come correct..

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm trying to develop a video game/ mobile game for android from scratch, I have some knowledge of html programming but I just downloaded Android studio and I'm lost as fukk, can anyone help me here?!!? :dwillhuh:

Game programming is one of the most difficult kinds of programming that there is, and Java is quite a bit different than HTML/CSS and Javascript. It'd be best for you to start with something simpler. If you are looking to focus on android, learn Java first, and then work on Android.

Here is a nice place to start:
The Complete Java Developer Course - Udemy

They probably have a coupon somewhere to get half off. search for udemy coupons.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Game programming is one of the most difficult kinds of programming that there is, and Java is quite a bit different than HTML/CSS and Javascript. It'd be best for you to start with something simpler. If you are looking to focus on android, learn Java first, and then work on Android.

Here is a nice place to start:
The Complete Java Developer Course - Udemy

They probably have a coupon somewhere to get half off. search for udemy coupons.

Thanks breh....:ehh: every bit counts because I cant pay anyone to produce the game so I might as well do it myself....

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Motivation - Breh is a millionaire now, the game sold over a million copies in 2 months.

The 4 years of self-imposed crunch that went into Stardew Valley

Stardew Valley developer says there were times when he almost quit

How a First-time Developer Created Stardew Valley, 2016’s Best Game to Date

I'm just trying to figure out how the hell did he support himself financially while working 70 hours a week. But damn, dude did everything by himself( which is very rare ) , the music, art , game design and programming.

edit: This is how he supported himself..

"For four years, he says, he worked an average of ten hours a day, seven days a week, on Stardew Valley. Luckily, he was living with his girlfriend, a graduate student in, appropriately, plant biology, and to help stay afloat he worked part-time as an usher at Seattle’s Paramount Theatre."

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Thanks breh....:ehh: every bit counts because I cant pay anyone to produce the game so I might as well do it myself....

Making a game is pretty much what gave me the motivation to program. It's something I will eventually settle down to do, but I have a lot to learn first. Stick with it and you'll eventually get to the level that you desire.