Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
yooooo that's my exact problem right now man. i see all these poppping sites on the web and i wonder how they made it look so damn cool.

yup the little i know of node i learned from a udemy course, although it was free and kinda spare

Yah, I just don't have the time nor the patience to properly master styling in front end. Bootstrap is a lifesaver, but whenever I use it the site just ends up having this really generic look. Is this course really worth it man? Its $300 US.

I wouldn't buy it for 300. It should only show up as $20. Try the code warmup10

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Css and html are often the hardest parts for 'developers'. Using HTML and CSS are simple in and of itself, but when it comes to responsive design and creating manageable CSS, things jump up in complexity. Then you have to deal with all kinds of CSS quirks. I've had the hardest time getting attractive looking sites, but mainly because you're going to need to study design as well, such as typography.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Css and html are often the hardest parts for 'developers'. Using HTML and CSS are simple in and of itself, but when it comes to responsive design and creating manageable CSS, things jump up in complexity. Then you have to deal with all kinds of CSS quirks. I've had the hardest time getting attractive looking sites, but mainly because you're going to need to study design as well, such as typography.

This is my main issue right here. I don't even know how I can make my sites look nice. Some of the jobs my friends have got really want html and css skills over bootstrap. I think I'll take a design course on udemy also.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Responsive web design is something I need to really learn, so I'll end up posting some of my observations. I think it's hard really digging into html and css because you don't feel like you are doing 'true programming', but it's something that is necessary to have a decent looking web site, so I'll have to take the hit for a year and really dig in. Once you got the skills down, they should remain with you. I think HTML and CSS are kind of like the SQL of the web... a set of skills that will remain stable for a long time... so you shouldn't be reluctant to take the time to really become skilled with it.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Responsive web design is something I need to really learn, so I'll end up posting some of my observations. I think it's hard really digging into html and css because you don't feel like you are doing 'true programming', but it's something that is necessary to have a decent looking web site, so I'll have to take the hit for a year and really dig in. Once you got the skills down, they should remain with you. I think HTML and CSS are kind of like the SQL of the web... a set of skills that will remain stable for a long time... so you shouldn't be reluctant to take the time to really become skilled with it.

I also feel they are easy to pick back up when you haven't used it in a while. I hadn't done anything with HTML & CSS since 2009 but picked back up pretty easy using Freecodecamp.

keepemup

Banned
Daps
I think that most of the analysis/understanding deals with examining the JavaScript libraries that control the 'responsiveness'.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I also feel they are easy to pick back up when you haven't used it in a while. I hadn't done anything with HTML & CSS since 2009 but picked back up pretty easy using Freecodecamp.

I'm going to say on the surface HTML and css are easy to pick up and learn, but actually making an attractive, fully responsive website that works on a wide variety of browsers with css that is easily maintainable and extendable is very difficult. You have all of these browser inconsistencies, you have to worry about different screen sizes and you also have to worry about extremely annoying CSS quirks.

One of my goals is to start creating a set of principles to work in that will make it easier to create these responsive sites. The problem with a lot of the modern education on the subject is that it is all over the place. Some use ems, some use rems, etc. Cutting out the filler and finding a core set of rules that produce consistently solid responsive sites is the hard part.

Daps
I'm going to say on the surface HTML and css are easy to pick up and learn, but actually making an attractive, fully responsive website that works on a wide variety of browsers with css that is easily maintainable and extendable is very difficult. You have all of these browser inconsistencies, you have to worry about different screen sizes and you also have to worry about extremely annoying CSS quirks.

One of my goals is to start creating a set of principles to work in that will make it easier to create these responsive sites. The problem with a lot of the modern education on the subject is that it is all over the place. Some use ems, some use rems, etc. Cutting out the filler and finding a core set of rules that produce consistently solid responsive sites is the hard part.

You just have to sit down and learn one thing. Problem with web dev is there's so many different ways of doing the same thing and everyone is in their own echo chamber thinking that it is either their way or the highway.

hey dude btw, the job you just got is it your first dev job? if so, that is cool, because I rarely encounter people who just started coding in their own time, no bootcamp or anything and transitioned into the industry that way. I know that these people exist but I don't really encounter them. Most people I see who code, have been doing it since they were little kids.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
You just have to sit down and learn one thing. Problem with web dev is there's so many different ways of doing the same thing and everyone is in their own echo chamber thinking that it is either their way or the highway.

hey dude btw, the job you just got is it your first dev job? if so, that is cool, because I rarely encounter people who just started coding in their own time, no bootcamp or anything and transitioned into the industry that way. I know that these people exist but I don't really encounter them. Most people I see who code, have been doing it since they were little kids.

Yeah, this one is actually my first job. I basically read through a ton of books and worked through a ton of courses and put up a bunch of sites. I plan on really polishing my sites to keep my options open for better jobs down the line.

Daps
Yeah, this one is actually my first job. I basically read through a ton of books and worked through a ton of courses and put up a bunch of sites. I plan on really polishing my sites to keep my options open for better jobs down the line.

:salute: respect man. sky's the limit for you now that you have your first job. seriously.

I should stop sitting on my bum and start grinding too :whoo:

semtex

:)
Daps

I wish that applied to me :wow: I've got co-workers 20 years older than me still managed to do it from childhood.

I just had to grow up in some rural shythole town where nobody's expected to amount to shyt so they don't even know what the hell a software engineer. I didn't know what programming was until I was 18 in my second semester of college.

Still made it though :blessed:

Daps
I wish that applied to me :wow: I've got co-workers 20 years older than me still managed to do it from childhood.

I just had to grow up in some rural shythole town where nobody's expected to amount to shyt so they don't even know what the hell a software engineer. I didn't know what programming was until I was 18 in my second semester of college.

Still made it though :blessed:

Yea I get jealous of these kids too, but honestly it is not that hard to get caught up.