Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Dabble with both, and whichever one captures your interest, focus on that... if you start getting burned out, switch over to the other thing. I'm kind of on that scattershot approach myself, simply because I get bored if I do the same thing for too long... so I might work on front end for a week, switch over to backend, and then learn a bit more about another language, etc.
How long have you been doing this approach of self study

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
How long have you been doing this approach of self study

Couple of years. What you'll learn is by using different languages and working on different avenues, it actually gives you a wider perspective and helps you understnad elements in other languages. For example, anonymous functions in Javascript helped me to understand procs and blocks in Ruby. Classes in Ruby, C#, and Java helped me understand how to better organize code in Javascript.

Ultimately, it will come down to your preferred learning style and what your goals are. I want to have the capability to do full stack development, so jumping back and forth fits me and it keeps me from getting bored. If you were just trying to be a data analyst or something along those lines, I'd just recommend Python and focusing on technologies as SQL... but I remember seeing you want to learn the full stack, so you can follow a similar approach to me.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
You still using ruby on rails?
Yea that is ruby/rails and just a little javascript. I am trying to learn javascript but I just don't have the time. I want to do an AJAX request so just one tweet is replaced and the other stays until it loses to a new comer but I was too brain dead to figure it out today

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yea that is ruby/rails and just a little javascript. I am trying to learn javascript but I just don't have the time. I want to do an AJAX request so just one tweet is replaced and the other stays until it loses to a new comer but I was too brain dead to figure it out today

I've had to put Ruby on Rails in the background and focus on Javascript as that's what my more recent interviews are for. I've spent some time with Angular 2. Very enjoyable framework.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Can anybody point me in the direction where I can check my code to see if it outputs the correct answer? All I can find is websites to tell me if my code is correct. I'm a complete novice and I'm trying to get accepted into a coding bootcamp. I was given 10 questions to do and I have to return them by Wednesday. I don't want to get anything wrong. I've found Ideone.com but it just tells me my code is correct. It doesn't show the output.

*edit* i'm using javascript

Last edited:

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Can anybody point me in the direction where I can check my code to see if it outputs the correct answer? All I can find is websites to tell me if my code is correct. I'm a complete novice and I'm trying to get accepted into a coding bootcamp. I was given 10 questions to do and I have to return them by Wednesday. I don't want to get anything wrong. I've found Ideone.com but it just tells me my code is correct. It doesn't show the output.

Try these:

Online JavaScript Interpreter

repl.it

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

labs.codecademy.com or console.log your statements and look at the result in the browser

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
This is what happens when you have leads and managers that have zero technical background. Everything is about cost first. I've told them Excel was never meant to be a Database!!!

You'll be surprised on how many ppl use excel in that way. It can only work for a small sample size of information. My predecessor though use to manage all his stuff on a spreadsheet. When his stuff was passed down to me, I was :mindblown: at him managing a large sample of data this way. But he had a Finance background, not IT like mine. This caused me a year's worth of issues for me. I had to clean up all the data as well as create a new process in my client's portal before I worked with my contractors to automate it.