Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Congrats bro. Feels great actually getting paid to program. I plan on moving to the back end eventually myself, but for now, forcing myself to work front end is a positive.
Its almost strange getting paid for something I have enjoyed doing for free the past couple of months. This fact alone makes me feel like this was the right career change for me. I had bounced all over the place from finance, to moving to Costa Rica to open a restaurant, but I finally feel like I have found something I am passionate about as well as something that will support me financially.

I am 100% into showing people how they could follow the same path I did, its not that hard and the benefits are amazing.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Its almost strange getting paid for something I have enjoyed doing for free the past couple of months. This fact alone makes me feel like this was the right career change for me. I had bounced all over the place from finance, to moving to Costa Rica to open a restaurant, but I finally feel like I have found something I am passionate about as well as something that will support me financially.

I am 100% into showing people how they could follow the same path I did, its not that hard and the benefits are amazing.

I been trying to put a few people on, but none have really bitten. I just think you have to have a certain kind of personality to really get into it. Most people don't like sitting in front of a computer all day and then on top of that you actually have to really focus. I'm all for helping the hungry.

I enjoy back end development over front end development, but I think I'll stick around in the front-end for a little while in order to improve my site visual skills. I really like the direction Angular 2 is taking things.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Is there a way to get certain fonts without buying them? I'm trying to design a little website and I'd like to use the Golden State Warriors' font style, but it only seems to be available if you pay for it. Are there ways around it or is this just the way it is? :jbhmm:

It's Copperplate Gothic: Copperplate Gothic Font Family - Fonts.com

Edit: I found a free font that's close enough and installed it to my computer.

Last edited:

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thinking about taking two years to get my BS in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science from Case Western after I graduate.
There is a solid alumni network, and I really want to break into a field that is still walled out for most Black people.
I'm using OpenCourseWare to teach myself the basics and few languages, and I hope I can thrive.
Any books that I should be looking at? I'm about to take a dive through this thread in a bit.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone here have experience in sql, need some tips to normalize data for my client?

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thinking about taking two years to get my BS in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science from Case Western after I graduate.
There is a solid alumni network, and I really want to break into a field that is still walled out for most Black people.
I'm using OpenCourseWare to teach myself the basics and few languages, and I hope I can thrive.
Any books that I should be looking at? I'm about to take a dive through this thread in a bit.
kevm3 provided a a link
free-programming-books/free-programming-books.md at master · vhf/free-programming-books · GitHub

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Random question, but have you ever built a web app with a SQL backend?
No I'm using a local database sqlite, I'm trying find a best approach to get a query filtering type of system for my group's client

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
No I'm using a local database sqlite, I'm trying find a best approach to get a query filtering type of system for my group's client

What exactly are you trying to do?

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What exactly are you trying to do?
I'm developing asset system where my client can perform queries on, I'm use sqlite for local database, and my problem is that the data that the queries have to be perform on, are not normalized so it's difficult for me how to best approach this. I'm wondering should I add them all in one table and have nulls values for rows they have nothing in common?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm developing asset system where my client can perform queries on, I'm use sqlite for local database, and my problem is that the data that the queries have to be perform on, are not normalized so it's difficult for me how to best approach this. I'm wondering should I add them all in one table and have nulls values for rows they have nothing in common?

Well with normalization, you are actually splitting a bigger table into smaller table, and the right degree of normalization helps a lot with the speed of queries.
You never want to have all your data in one table because it will possibly create a lot of duplicate data and it will be fairly slow.