Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Congrats man. What kind of questions did they ask you in the interview?

Over the phone, they might ask you, if you were working with a customer, how would you develop a product with them? Answer that you would basically ask the customer questions to determine exactly what it is that they want and then you would make a mock. You would then work with them to see if that mock is acceptable and then you would basically identify the key features that they must have. Then you would work on a prototype and basically you would work on it in a manner in which it is flexible and can be built upon in an iterative approach because things can change so fast in the industry and so can a customer's demands.

In the in person interview, I had to take some test, which was basically solving some puzzles. I had to do some whiteboard process where they asked me how to go about the process of creating a form that would be able to transmit a CC number. I could use angular or whatever. So I just walked through that. They pulled up my blog and I talked about that. Went through some of my code on github and I showed them a site I deployed. They asked me what I liked about Angular 2 since that was what they were using. They asked me a bit about responsive web design and how to go about it, and basically I answered with a very general overview of media queries.

If you're applying for a web development type position, I think the key more than anything is to know the basics of HTML, CSS and Javascript and also have some kind of online presence, which will include a site you've deployed and possibly a blog. Sometimes they do go through and read what you write and that can make you stand out.

Each stack has so many different pieces to it that it's not possible to know it all, so if you don't know something, don't try to dance around the issue and give some made up answer. Just say I haven't familiarized myself with that particular library yet, but I learn quickly. The basic impression you want to give off is that although you might not know the particular library they are using, you can pick it up very quickly because you are a fast and eager learner. Now you can only do this if this is not the main library that is in the job you are requesting. For example, if it is an Angular job, you need to know Angular, but when it comes to a minor tool, for example, such as if they are using a task runner like gulp and you are familiar with grunt, tell them that you've used grunt before and you would just need a little time to learn the syntax of gulp.

Also, what will make you stand out is if YOU ask decent questions. Ask them about why they chose this or that in their particular stack. If you don't know a particular technology that they are using, maybe ask about what would be some great books to learn that particular piece of tech. Basically, you want to give off the impression that you actually love programming and you aren't just there to pick up a paycheck.

So basically what I"m saying is to actually deploy sites and give them the impression you know how to create something and that although you may not know every particular element of their stack, you are willing and able to pick it up on your own very quickly. Also, learn a testing framework. Tests are big now. Having that knowledge will make you stand out.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Another key is to not take rejection personal. You're going to have to submit a ton of applications and you might come across a lot of rejections. Just keep applying to a ton of them. A recruiter also told me the importance of linked in. It's pretty much 'your resume' in this digital age. That's what a lot of recruiters look at first. Make it a fun game and see how many rejections you can rack up in a week. The more the better. Why? Because you're going to have to get used to applying to a ton of companies if you don't have any professional experience. If you know what you're doing in regards to your technology stack, one will eventually take a chance on you, but that won't be until after you've put in possibly 25+ applications.

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
Over the phone, they might ask you, if you were working with a customer, how would you develop a product with them? Answer that you would basically ask the customer questions to determine exactly what it is that they want and then you would make a mock. You would then work with them to see if that mock is acceptable and then you would basically identify the key features that they must have. Then you would work on a prototype and basically you would work on it in a manner in which it is flexible and can be built upon in an iterative approach because things can change so fast in the industry and so can a customer's demands.

In the in person interview, I had to take some test, which was basically solving some puzzles. I had to do some whiteboard process where they asked me how to go about the process of creating a form that would be able to transmit a CC number. I could use angular or whatever. So I just walked through that. They pulled up my blog and I talked about that. Went through some of my code on github and I showed them a site I deployed. They asked me what I liked about Angular 2 since that was what they were using. They asked me a bit about responsive web design and how to go about it, and basically I answered with a very general overview of media queries.

If you're applying for a web development type position, I think the key more than anything is to know the basics of HTML, CSS and Javascript and also have some kind of online presence, which will include a site you've deployed and possibly a blog. Sometimes they do go through and read what you write and that can make you stand out.

Each stack has so many different pieces to it that it's not possible to know it all, so if you don't know something, don't try to dance around the issue and give some made up answer. Just say I haven't familiarized myself with that particular library yet, but I learn quickly. The basic impression you want to give off is that although you might not know the particular library they are using, you can pick it up very quickly because you are a fast and eager learner. Now you can only do this if this is not the main library that is in the job you are requesting. For example, if it is an Angular job, you need to know Angular, but when it comes to a minor tool, for example, such as if they are using a task runner like gulp and you are familiar with grunt, tell them that you've used grunt before and you would just need a little time to learn the syntax of gulp.

Also, what will make you stand out is if YOU ask decent questions. Ask them about why they chose this or that in their particular stack. If you don't know a particular technology that they are using, maybe ask about what would be some great books to learn that particular piece of tech. Basically, you want to give off the impression that you actually love programming and you aren't just there to pick up a paycheck.

So basically what I"m saying is to actually deploy sites and give them the impression you know how to create something and that although you may not know every particular element of their stack, you are willing and able to pick it up on your own very quickly. Also, learn a testing framework. Tests are big now. Having that knowledge will make you stand out.

Another key is to not take rejection personal. You're going to have to submit a ton of applications and you might come across a lot of rejections. Just keep applying to a ton of them. A recruiter also told me the importance of linked in. It's pretty much 'your resume' in this digital age. That's what a lot of recruiters look at first. Make it a fun game and see how many rejections you can rack up in a week. The more the better. Why? Because you're going to have to get used to applying to a ton of companies if you don't have any professional experience. If you know what you're doing in regards to your technology stack, one will eventually take a chance on you, but that won't be until after you've put in possibly 25+ applications.
Thanks for the advice breh :salute:

Daps
Any of you brehs live in Austin TX? What's your tech startup scene looking like?

I just read this article / essay by Joah Spearman (), founder of Localeur. In it he mentions how he loves Austin to death but admits that it still doesn't hold a candle to Silicon Valley in terms of opportunities.

Great read. Are there any other moderately famous black tech startup founders you guys know of? It is always inspiring reading their stories.

Daps

Cosign this. I run into a lot of ppl who clown LinkedIn, and I'm like yooo do you know the amount of recruiters that have hit me up through that site?

I mean i personally a social media fanatic like that and don't like putting all my business out there but you have to do what you have to do to become successful.

Getting the required tech skills is one thing, marketing yourself properly and having those doors open is another.

Daps
I've had to put Ruby on Rails in the background and focus on Javascript as that's what my more recent interviews are for. I've spent some time with Angular 2. Very enjoyable framework.

Are there any significant differences between Angular 2 and Angular 1? I've been trying to learn NodeJS the last couple of months because I hear it is on the come up, and the few good MEAN stack tutorials I've run into mainly use Angular 1 so that's the version I've been slowly picking up.

& how lucrative do you think being familiar with the Node stacks would be to a Java application developer trying to transition into some web stuff?

I been doing native Java apps for too long and don't want to pigeon-hole myself and potentially lose out on new opportunities. Basically I want to know what to focus my attention on right now to expand my horizons so to speak.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Are there any significant differences between Angular 2 and Angular 1? I've been trying to learn NodeJS the last couple of months because I hear it is on the come up, and the few good MEAN stack tutorials I've run into mainly use Angular 1 so that's the version I've been slowly picking up.

& how lucrative do you think being familiar with the Node stacks would be to a Java application developer trying to transition into some web stuff?

I been doing native Java apps for too long and don't want to pigeon-hole myself and potentially lose out on new opportunities. Basically I want to know what to focus my attention on right now to expand my horizons so to speak.

Angular 1 and 2 are very different. I much prefer Angular 2, which also uses typescript by default. I feel Typescript is much more enjoyable to use than plain JS as well. I started with learning Angular 1. Some of the concepts from Angular 1 will definitely carry over, but it's much different. For one, there are no more controllers. There is no '$scope' keyword and everything is encapsulated in it's own fairly isolated component. Essentially, Angular 2 is a better version of Angular 1 directives, especially given the fact that you can scope css to just that component.

Still, there is very little wrong with learning Angular 1 first, especially since there is so much Angular 1 code out there and so many Angular 1 resources, including books and tutorials. In fact, I'd recommend you stick with Angular 1 for a while since Angular 2 is in beta, and you may eventually get put on a project where you have to help convert an Angular 1 app tn Angular 2... so it'll pay off knowing Angular 1. Once you learn Angular 1, it shouldn't be too hard to transition over to Angular 2 once you get over the fact that things are done a bit differently.

In terms of Node, I definitely think it's a great toolset to pick up, and whether or not I would recommend it to someone depends on their experience on the back end and what exactly are they trying to do. For example, I wouldn't recommend it to someone just beginning on the serverside. I'd recommend Ruby on Rails ahead of that since it has a much more rigid structure and is a lot easier to be productive in. It has best practices like testing built in. Now if you are already fairly experienced on the serverside and you want to build realtime apps, sure I'd recommend node. It's asynchronous nature and freedom of directory structure don't make it very suitable for beginners, but more experienced programmers will probably love it. The downside of rails is that it doesn't integrate with Javascript SPA frameworks all that greatly, which is why I'm planning to really hone in on node when time permits.

If you're a Java developer and want to do full-stack, I'd focus on the front-end with Javascript as opposed to Node since there are several Java server-side frameworks already out there. There are probably a great deal more Java server side jobs than Node at the moment, but Node is gaining in popularity. It couldn't hurt to know, but if your time is limited and you're focused on full-stack, focus on HTML, CSS and Javascript. If you have a ton of free time, then sure, pick up Node.

Last edited:
Daps
Angular 1 and 2 are very different. I much prefer Angular 2, which also uses typescript by default. I feel Typescript is much more enjoyable to use than plain JS as well. I started with learning Angular 1. Some of the concepts from Angular 1 will definitely carry over, but it's much different. For one, there are no more controllers. There is no '$scope' keyword and everything is encapsulated in it's own fairly isolated component. Essentially, Angular 2 is a better version of Angular 1 directives, especially given the fact that you can scope css to just that component.

Still, there is very little wrong with learning Angular 1 first, especially since there is so much Angular 1 code out there and so many Angular 1 resources, including books and tutorials. In fact, I'd recommend you stick with Angular 1 for a while since Angular 2 is in beta, and you may eventually get put on a project where you have to help convert an Angular 1 app tn Angular 2... so it'll pay off knowing Angular 1. Once you learn Angular 1, it shouldn't be too hard to transition over to Angular 2 once you get over the fact that things are done a bit differently.

In terms of Node, I definitely think it's a great toolset to pick up, and whether or not I would recommend it to someone depends on their experience on the back end and what exactly are they trying to do. For example, I wouldn't recommend it to someone just beginning on the serverside. I'd recommend Ruby on Rails ahead of that since it has a much more rigid structure and is a lot easier to be productive in. It has best practices like testing built in. Now if you are already fairly experienced on the serverside and you want to build realtime apps, sure I'd recommend node. It's asynchronous nature and freedom of directory structure don't make it very suitable for beginners, but more experienced programmers will probably love it. The downside of rails is that it doesn't integrate with Javascript SPA frameworks all that greatly, which is why I'm planning to really hone in on node when time permits.

If you're a Java developer and want to do full-stack, I'd focus on the front-end with Javascript as opposed to Node since there are several Java server-side frameworks already out there. There are probably a great deal more Java server side jobs than Node at the moment, but Node is gaining in popularity. It couldn't hurt to know, but if your time is limited and you're focused on full-stack, focus on HTML, CSS and Javascript. If you have a ton of free time, then sure, pick up Node.

Thanks for the perspective man. Yah the reason why I didn't want to stick with plain Java is I wanted to expand my horizons a little bit. I already have Java in my toolkit, I don't think any employer would doubt my Java skills as that's all I've done thus far. I just wanted to pick up something on the side and was hearing good things about Node.

Node is a pain the butt for a lot of reasons. It's only real asset is how it's a JS everything ecosystem, but aside from that, yea it's not the most perfect server side language to use. I don't find it that difficult to use though. Right now I just need to sit down and build something impressive that I can show to people. After that then I can either continue on with Node or go with something else but at least I will have that in my back pocket.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I have to work on getting my CSS game right. I still end up designing websites that look like they're from 1997. Anybody have a great source for this?

As far as learning node, there are a few really great udemy courses for it. Anthony Alicea teaches a great one along with Angular. Also the one by Sachin Bhatnagar is great as well, his accent is pretty rough but still can understand it. His visuals and explanations are great though.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I have to work on getting my CSS game right. I still end up designing websites that look like they're from 1997. Anybody have a great source for this?

As far as learning node, there are a few really great udemy courses for it. Anthony Alicea teaches a great one along with Angular. Also the one by Sachin Bhatnagar is great as well, his accent is pretty rough but still can understand it. His visuals and explanations are great though.

Not pure css, but bootstrap. Try this:
The Complete Bootstrap Masterclass Course - Build 4 Projects

Daps

yooooo that's my exact problem right now man. i see all these poppping sites on the web and i wonder how they made it look so damn cool.

yup the little i know of node i learned from a udemy course, although it was free and kinda spare

Yah, I just don't have the time nor the patience to properly master styling in front end. Bootstrap is a lifesaver, but whenever I use it the site just ends up having this really generic look. Is this course really worth it man? Its $300 US.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
yooooo that's my exact problem right now man. i see all these poppping sites on the web and i wonder how they made it look so damn cool.

yup the little i know of node i learned from a udemy course, although it was free and kinda spare

Yah, I just don't have the time nor the patience to properly master styling in front end. Bootstrap is a lifesaver, but whenever I use it the site just ends up having this really generic look. Is this course really worth it man? Its $300 US.
you're better off spending the money on a JS course like this:

JavaScript: Understanding the Weird Parts - Udemy

it's a $149 course but for a limited time it's $15 (90% off)

Daps
you're better off spending the money on a JS course like this:

JavaScript: Understanding the Weird Parts - Udemy

it's a $149 course but for a limited time it's $15 (90% off)

I have a decent enough understanding of JavaScript and I'm sure I'd work out the hazy parts whenever I delve deep into the personal project I am working on. Styling and making the site look "nice" is my one biggest issue right now. I can grok server side no problem.

But thanks anyways.