Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
In some ways it would have been cooler to start younger, but then again, I think I came at the perfect time because web development is a lot different than traditional development, and I think if I came up when C and C++ were the primary languages, I'd have a bit of a jarring transition. I came into development at a time when you pretty much need to know multiple languages and not to expect any stack to last forever.

Also, age isn't something that should catch people up. I believe I started when I was around 28 or somewhere around that age range and now I'm 31. If you want it, it's out there for you.

Llcoolbay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
St Louis Rams!!!!!
Looking through this thread and Looking back on interviews Ive had for dev.

Realized programming aint for me right. I get syntax and everything but you ask me to explain why behind it and its :yeshrug:

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
I just played around with some python and man the syntax is so straight forward and non nonsense lol going to see if things are still simple whenni get further along. I took a break from Javascript at the moment

Don't feel bad. Python is a much better language to learn with imo. Javascript is a very flawed language with many counter intuitive nuances. Its popularity has more to do with it being the only option for DOM manipulation, more so than it being a good language on it's own merits. That being said I think Javascript the good parts is a good book for learning JS. The author Crockford also has some good videos on Youtube

As far as Python, you can get "comfortable" with the core language in less than a week if you really go at it. It's pretty simple. The Django tutorial after that is solid but eventually you're going have to learn JS to do much of anything with python in a browser so....

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Don't feel bad. Python is a much better language to learn with imo. Javascript is a very flawed language with many counter intuitive nuances. Its popularity has more to do with it being the only option for DOM manipulation, more so than it being a good language on it's own merits. That being said I think Javascript the good parts is a good book for learning JS. The author Crockford also has some good videos on Youtube

As far as Python, you can get "comfortable" with the core language in less than a week if you really go at it. It's pretty simple. The Django tutorial after that is solid but eventually you're going have to learn JS to do much of anything with python in a browser so....

I was probably going to use Python more so for automatic as I see it and Ruby usually listed for most Cloud Engineer/Architect and Dev Ops jobs. I`m a BA but I want to pick up some technical skills to have an edge. I learned Visual Basics back in undergrad and I`m pretty good with SQL so "coding" and algorithms isn't difficult for me conceptually its more so just picking up the syntax for different languages. JS did have some weird stuff though from what I saw.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
I was probably going to use Python more so for automatic as I see it and Ruby usually listed for most Cloud Engineer/Architect and Dev Ops jobs. I`m a BA but I want to pick up some technical skills to have an edge. I learned Visual Basics back in undergrad and I`m pretty good with SQL so "coding" and algorithms isn't difficult for me conceptually its more so just picking up the syntax for different languages. JS did have some weird stuff though from what I saw.

Python is a good "glue language" for doing automated tasks. So I could see it being used for Dev Ops type stuff. I do a lot of file manipulation and parsing so I use Perl to automate things at my gig. Wish we used something more intuitive like Python (or Jython) though :mjcry:

Daps
I'm learning NodeJS and coming from someone who started out with Python and then Java, I have to say that JavaScript suuucks!!

JavaScript is definitely not the best language to start learning programming with.

& to be honest y'all I don't see myself programming for ever. Not that I hate programming or anything like that, but I'm starting to realize that I'm much more of a ppl person than I thought previously and I could make a good project manager. I wouldn't mind transitioning into a management role. & there's always a ceiling you will hit programming, not to mention the ageism. Right now I'm just trying to maximize the amount of money I can make while young, while still picking up skills that will serve me well later in life.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Any thoughts on typescript vs. coffeescript? I played around with coffeescript a little bit but it seems like typscript is getting more traction now days.

I didn't even bother learning Coffeescript. Coffeescript is something that is more often used in the Rails world and is a much more concise language that transpiles to JS. Typescript is more enterprise ready... Coffee script is for those who want 'prettier' code, while Typescript is for those who are focused on building big apps. I prefer Typescript simply because it is a superset of JS as opposed to completely changing how the language looks. Angular 2 is going to use Typescript and Typescript is supported by Microsoft, so I'm guessing it will have some decent future. I wouldn't spend time with Coffeescript unless I absolutely needed it for a job.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm learning NodeJS and coming from someone who started out with Python and then Java, I have to say that JavaScript suuucks!!

JavaScript is definitely not the best language to start learning programming with.

& to be honest y'all I don't see myself programming for ever. Not that I hate programming or anything like that, but I'm starting to realize that I'm much more of a ppl person than I thought previously and I could make a good project manager. I wouldn't mind transitioning into a management role. & there's always a ceiling you will hit programming, not to mention the ageism. Right now I'm just trying to maximize the amount of money I can make while young, while still picking up skills that will serve me well later in life.

Yeah JS isn't the most fun language around and you'll have to spend a ton of time dealing with JS quirks. Couple that with the asynchronous programming of Node, and you probably won't have the most fun time around. Ruby with Ruby on Rails is a much more pleasant server-side experience, although it isn't as fast. The sooner something like Typescript or even ES6 become the standard, the better.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Do not sleep on this opportunity, TAKE ADVANTAGE NOW.

ALL COURSES FREE. ALL WEEKEND.
We’ve reached 2 million students now learning at Code School, so to celebrate, we’re making all our content free this weekend! Create a free account now to participate or sign in to get a reminder when Free Weekend begins.

Free Weekend 2016 - Code School

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
God is great
Got the job. Doing angular 2 and typescript

:salute:

I just accepted my first position as well. It feels great to get that first job. I am working for a Rails consultancy shop where we all work remote. I am excited about the remote aspect because I can travel and work from anywhere but also know this will potentially hurt me because it may be harder to learn in the beginning. I just had my first code review from the senior dev yesterday and feel like I have already learned a ton about best practices and work flow.
Counting from the day I started taking my studying seriously it took me 147 days to land a job. These past 3 months I have probably been coding/studying 8+ hours a day. If anyone has any questions about how to get started let me know. It seems impossible at first but if you just put your head down and stick with it you can break into the industry.
  • 147 days
  • 21 weeks
  • 40.27% of a cyear

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
:salute:

I just accepted my first position as well. It feels great to get that first job. I am working for a Rails consultancy shop where we all work remote. I am excited about the remote aspect because I can travel and work from anywhere but also know this will potentially hurt me because it may be harder to learn in the beginning. I just had my first code review from the senior dev yesterday and feel like I have already learned a ton about best practices and work flow.
Counting from the day I started taking my studying seriously it took me 147 days to land a job. These past 3 months I have probably been coding/studying 8+ hours a day. If anyone has any questions about how to get started let me know. It seems impossible at first but if you just put your head down and stick with it you can break into the industry.
  • 147 days
  • 21 weeks
  • 40.27% of a cyear

Congrats bro. Feels great actually getting paid to program. I plan on moving to the back end eventually myself, but for now, forcing myself to work front end is a positive.