Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Im thinking i will pick up python since many of the cloud engineer and other solution architect roles I look at ask for it. I may alternate days where some days im doing python and other days im doing FCC. I might not take any summer classes for school this summer so may go harder on this stuff and study for either a salesforce or AWS cert.

But then again JAVA is something thata pretty much universal but as mentioned im not trying to be a software engineer, but as stated more so a Solution Architect/Engineer, where you need to be knowledgeble a tad more in technical stuff than a Business Analyst being that often times you are creating things for strategic purposes and after your done then the developers and BAs can use what you created to do the grumt work

Yeah, it'd probably be best if you started out with Python and then came back later to JS or Java. Some of the 'strange' JS code you see will make a lot more sense once you come back from other languages and you see what some of that JS code is trying to emulate. Java is a very solid language to learn, but it'll be time-consuming, and if you're not building big, enterprise applications or android apps, you can always come back and pick it up later once you understand the basics of things like classes, inheritance, etc. Python cuts out a lot of the cruft. Once you get a grasp of Python, then you can come to Java and work with explicitly defined data types, accessors, etc., or work with the madness that is JS. Python will be useful to you in doing automation work, writing short scripts, data analysis, etc... For you, I'd start off with Python, then go to Java and then if you're going into the web realm, JS, HTML, CSS.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah, it'd probably be best if you started out with Python and then came back later to JS or Java. Some of the 'strange' JS code you see will make a lot more sense once you come back from other languages and you see what some of that JS code is trying to emulate. Java is a very solid language to learn, but it'll be time-consuming, and if you're not building big, enterprise applications or android apps, you can always come back and pick it up later once you understand the basics of things like classes, inheritance, etc. Python cuts out a lot of the cruft. Once you get a grasp of Python, then you can come to Java and work with explicitly defined data types, accessors, etc., or work with the madness that is JS. Python will be useful to you in doing automation work, writing short scripts, data analysis, etc... For you, I'd start off with Python, then go to Java and then if you're going into the web realm, JS, HTML, CSS.

do you have a recommended Python course?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Lol JavaScript is a wild ass language if you're used to a C-based language. Seems like anything goes, like objects being able to have properties added dynamically. You will write much cleaner JavaScript if you have strong OOP skills from another language

That's pretty much why I had to start looking into other languages. A lot of the JS books write procedural code and the OO Javascript books are difficult to understand unless you've learned OO concepts from another language. You can instantly spin up an object without defining a class and then set another object's prototype to point to that object. It's interesting when you think about it.

What confused me was the difference between __proto__ and the prototype property that functions have, since they are intended to be used as constructors. The __proto__ property is something that all objects have which point to another object, which is JS's way of enabling inheritance. The prototype property is an actual object attached to a function that allows other methods to share that pool of properties and methods attached to it when a function is used as a constructor.

Now my problem is still understanding what 'this' can be in some contexts.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Lol dang just bought the other python bootcamp because i saw it was on sale, it has more ratings and is top ranked so i should be straight.

You talking about the one from Jose Portilla? Either should be fine since they'll likely cover the same material.

semtex

:)
Daps
That's pretty much why I had to start looking into other languages. A lot of the JS books write procedural code and the OO Javascript books are difficult to understand unless you've learned OO concepts from another language. You can instantly spin up an object without defining a class and then set another object's prototype to point to that object. It's interesting when you think about it.

What confused me was the difference between __proto__ and the prototype property that functions have, since they are intended to be used as constructors. The __proto__ property is something that all objects have which point to another object, which is JS's way of enabling inheritance. The prototype property is an actual object attached to a function that allows other methods to share that pool of properties and methods attached to it when a function is used as a constructor.

the prototype stuff I've yet to use at all. For basic everyday stuff you won't need that. If you're making your own UI framework or something then I could see it coming in to play. In JavaScript "this" is almost always just a reference to the container/scope you're inside of. And that can be anything from a namespace to just a jquery element (when you're invoking an anonymous function on it)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
the prototype stuff I've yet to use at all. For basic everyday stuff you won't need that. If you're making your own UI framework or something then I could see it coming in to play. In JavaScript "this" is almost always just a reference to the container/scope you're inside of. And that can be anything from a namespace to just a jquery element (when you're invoking an anonymous function on it)
Man my mind blew up when I was doing javascript and my code wasn't working because of closures. I was like "WTF is a closure and why won't it let me program eat?". I got a decent understanding of it though. Same way it took me a little bit of extra time to figure out what a pointer was in C++.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps

Understand JavaScript's "this" With Clarity, and Master It

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
free code camp.

Dabble with both, and whichever one captures your interest, focus on that... if you start getting burned out, switch over to the other thing. I'm kind of on that scattershot approach myself, simply because I get bored if I do the same thing for too long... so I might work on front end for a week, switch over to backend, and then learn a bit more about another language, etc.