Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I haven't worked on mobile development or any outside-school stuff although I've begun making some small game apps to keep my skills sharp.

I wanted to get something part time for some $ while I go to school but I don't know if I've escaped burger king yet. I'll take your advice and learn some C#, have the time and may make a difference, thanks.
I dunno if this helps, but I did have a friend who did night school while he worked full time doing programming with me (Black dude too). He got his masters in business and his masters in Math. Maybe you can part time school if you can't part time app dev / web dev

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Angular 2 really should be called something else because it is nothing like Angular 1. I'm going through it now, and there's not much that I recognize from Angular 1. You still have things called services, directives, etc., but everything is implemented and utilized way differently. In Angular 2, components seem to map most closely to Angular 1 directives.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Typescript is fantastic stuff. I think I will be using this in as many projects as possible. I think I can be way more productive in this than in standard ES5 or even ES6, especially since I will have a lot less of normal JS quirks to worry about.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I actually comment my code because even when I come back to my code, I forgot what I was doing. I've suspected I have some form of dyslexia for a while now, lol.

This is funny. Sometimes I'll be like " eh I'll remeber what this does"......and later on that day I forget why I wrote it that way...LOL

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Just want to leave this here.........

Separation of concerns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all developers should follow this. I'm currently dealing with a single C# class at work that's around 3,000 lines of code. The class performs about 20 different actions. Examples:

1.) Connect to Team Foundation Server
2.) Read Excel for data
3.) Build object properties from Excel ( We are using Coded UI )
4.) Read a couple of XML files
5.) Input Data into the Application Under Test
6.) Handles all error handling
7.) Builds a HTML Report

:mjcry:

Each one of those should be there own class.

1.) Makes it easier to add new features
2.) debug code and fix things without accidentally editing something else within the class

There's many more, but :snoop:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Just want to leave this here.........

Separation of concerns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all developers should follow this. I'm currently dealing with a single C# class at work that's around 3,000 lines of code. The class performs about 20 different actions. Examples:

1.) Connect to Team Foundation Server
2.) Read Excel for data
3.) Build object properties from Excel ( We are using Coded UI )
4.) Read a couple of XML files
5.) Input Data into the Application Under Test
6.) Handles all error handling
7.) Builds a HTML Report

:mjcry:

Each one of those should be there own class.

1.) Makes it easier to add new features
2.) debug code and fix things without accidentally editing something else within the class

There's many more, but :snoop:
After doing most of my work with databases these past couple of years, I cringe when somebody requests my code to use a spreadsheet.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
:mindblown: Please tell me you're joking.

And when you say 'automation world', what exactly is being automated?

Applications. Mostly functionality/Regression testing( scripts go through the app verifying and clicking etc ).This is what happens when you have leads and managers that have zero technical background. Everything is about cost first. I've told them Excel was never meant to be a Database!!!

Owell doesn't really bother me that much. I'm just there to take their 10 frameworks that's in god awful vbscript and convert them to 1 single framework in C#.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I took some days off from FCC and I got back and was totally lost on the two Object Properties modules before the JSON module. I`m hoping it is due to them being poorly written or something.

The earlier JS labs I breezed through but it seems the stuff fI just got to they aren't doing a good job explaining WHY they came to the solution or why you should use a certain syntax, they are just asking you to do stuff. IDK if I need to go back and revist some labs or what.

semtex

:)
Daps
I took some days off from FCC and I got back and was totally lost on the two Object Properties modules before the JSON module. I`m hoping it is due to them being poorly written or something.

The earlier JS labs I breezed through but it seems the stuff fI just got to they aren't doing a good job explaining WHY they came to the solution or why you should use a certain syntax, they are just asking you to do stuff. IDK if I need to go back and revist some labs or what.
Lol JavaScript is a wild ass language if you're used to a C-based language. Seems like anything goes, like objects being able to have properties added dynamically. You will write much cleaner JavaScript if you have strong OOP skills from another language

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Lol JavaScript is a wild ass language if you're used to a C-based language. Seems like anything goes, like objects being able to have properties added dynamically. You will write much cleaner JavaScript if you have strong OOP skills from another language

yea, I messed with VB in college so conceptually this stuff isn't hard, its just JS started getting wild as hell where, when I see the solution I understand whats going on, but the method to get there with no hints prior started getting confusing.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Building cloud native apps with Spring Boot now..:wow:

Company just spent 20mil on Pivotal Cloud Foundry......

All apps going forward no longer on Tomcat..pushing to Cloud...:wow:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Yep, that's where I got stuck in JS and that's why I had to start picking up other languages like exploring Java, C# and Ruby. The basics of JS are easy, but once they get to the more advanced things, it starts getting headache inducing and you have no idea why they are doing what they are doing. I'm sure you've probably seen the 'revealing module' pattern that looks something like this:

(function(){
var property1;
function testfunction(){}

return {
property1: property1,
testfunction: testfunction
}
}())

that is pretty much Javascript's way of emulating some of the features of 'classes' in other languages. Once you get to a certain point in JS, they stop explaining the why's about something, and they pretty much only talk about how to emulate OO features in other languages.

What is happening in the above code is that variables are functionally scoped, meaning their access level is limited to the function they are in, whereas most other languages are block scoped. The variables inside the function cannot be accessed by methods outside of the function. However, when you return the object, that object still has access to those variables inside that function. That's pretty much the concept of closures. You'll probably have to pick up another language to learn why that is significant. If you don't want to spend a ton of time, check out Python or Ruby. If you do have a lot of time, C# or Java.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yep, that's where I got stuck in JS and that's why I had to start picking up other languages like exploring Java, C# and Ruby. The basics of JS are easy, but once they get to the more advanced things, it starts getting headache inducing and you have no idea why they are doing what they are doing. I'm sure you've probably seen the 'revealing module' pattern that looks something like this:

(function(){
var property1;
function testfunction(){}

return {
property1: property1,
testfunction: testfunction
}
}())

that is pretty much Javascript's way of emulating some of the features of 'classes' in other languages. Once you get to a certain point in JS, they stop explaining the why's about something, and they pretty much only talk about how to emulate OO features in other languages.

What is happening in the above code is that variables are functionally scoped, meaning their access level is limited to the function they are in, whereas most other languages are block scoped. The variables inside the function cannot be accessed by methods outside of the function. However, when you return the object, that object still has access to those variables inside that function. That's pretty much the concept of closures. You'll probably have to pick up another language to learn why that is significant. If you don't want to spend a ton of time, check out Python or Ruby. If you do have a lot of time, C# or Java.

Im thinking i will pick up python since many of the cloud engineer and other solution architect roles I look at ask for it. I may alternate days where some days im doing python and other days im doing FCC. I might not take any summer classes for school this summer so may go harder on this stuff and study for either a salesforce or AWS cert.

But then again JAVA is something thata pretty much universal but as mentioned im not trying to be a software engineer, but as stated more so a Solution Architect/Engineer, where you need to be knowledgeble a tad more in technical stuff than a Business Analyst being that often times you are creating things for strategic purposes and after your done then the developers and BAs can use what you created to do the grumt work