Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Of course :jawalrus:
But, I haven't found the answer. might have to make a thread on there :francis:

The sooner the better, keep us updated with the response because whatever solution you find might help someone else here.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I don't post much but been lurking this thread alot...
Anyone have advice for how an up and come recent grad can break into the field?

I only have a Computer Science associates atm, planning on eventually finishing bachelors. I made a little website cpais.github.io. I think im pretty good with C++/Java/HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript( at the very least good enough to learn/teach myself most anything I don't know using google and youtube).

I'm in the New York area. I'm finishing my bachelors 2018 but..can I make some bread now with the skills I have?
I don't have much advice, sorry. Assuming that you haven't worked on any major group projects outside of school, you may not be able to landa big money job yet, so you'll probably have to look around for entry or junior level. You may get better hits if you get familiar with C# vs C++ (not too sure about that though).

O, i do have some advice. If you're near the city you could probably go to some tech meetups (meetup.com) revolving around some web development or one of the technologies you've used. Or some hackathons..

Have you done any mobile development?

Pobyedobyedo

Rookie
Daps
I don't have much advice, sorry. Assuming that you haven't worked on any major group projects outside of school, you may not be able to landa big money job yet, so you'll probably have to look around for entry or junior level. You may get better hits if you get familiar with C# vs C++ (not too sure about that though).

O, i do have some advice. If you're near the city you could probably go to some tech meetups (meetup.com) revolving around some web development or one of the technologies you've used. Or some hackathons..

Have you done any mobile development?
I haven't worked on mobile development or any outside-school stuff although I've begun making some small game apps to keep my skills sharp.

I wanted to get something part time for some $ while I go to school but I don't know if I've escaped burger king yet. I'll take your advice and learn some C#, have the time and may make a difference, thanks.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't post much but been lurking this thread alot...
Anyone have advice for how an up and come recent grad can break into the field?

I only have a Computer Science associates atm, planning on eventually finishing bachelors. I made a little website cpais.github.io. I think im pretty good with C++/Java/HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript( at the very least good enough to learn/teach myself most anything I don't know using google and youtube).

I'm in the New York area. I'm finishing my bachelors 2018 but..can I make some bread now with the skills I have?

open a github account and contribute to some projects and of course apply for internships while in school. as far as making bread if you can't land an internship in the field they are always small mom and pop operations looking for some IT shyt done.

Lol, ahh yes, the 12 hour debugging sessions of why your code doesn't work, just to find out you are missing a <insert random ascii character>

those are the best opportunities to learn. instead of always relying on stack overflow it's good to get one hand's dirty and really dig into shyt.

Last edited:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
open a github account an contribute to some projects and of course apply for internships while in school. as far as making bread if you can't land an internship in the field they are always small mom and pop operations looking for some IT shyt done.

those are the best opportunities to learn. instead of always relying on stack overflow it's good to get one hand's dirty and really dig into shyt.

One shouldn't use stack overflow as a crutch but should have a cutoff point where they seek help after searching for a solution to a problem on their own.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished my database hw, all it took was a simple hashmap :obama:and me being and idiot and forgetting to change a statement from a copy and paste:snoop:
copy and pasting kills me all the time:bryan:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Finished my database hw, all it took was a simple hashmap :obama:and me being and idiot and forgetting to change a statement from a copy and paste:snoop:
copy and pasting kills me all the time:bryan:
What editor are you using?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm about to pick up Python. I've been having recruiters hit me up about Python, but I don't have the experience. Down the line, I'll pick up C# as well. For now JS, Ruby and Python will keep me covered with plenty of opportunities.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I haven't worked on mobile development or any outside-school stuff although I've begun making some small game apps to keep my skills sharp.

I wanted to get something part time for some $ while I go to school but I don't know if I've escaped burger king yet. I'll take your advice and learn some C#, have the time and may make a difference, thanks.

If you know JS and CSS, full your github up with projects and deploy on heroku assuming you use node.js as the serverside tech of your choice.