Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Is Free Code Academy the best place to learn a Full Web Dev stack? Just signed up haven't dug deep yet.

Would Like to do this to get my rust off, and then jump into Swift for iOS development.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Codecademy will teach you the basics. It's a decent place to start. Look for coupons on udemy though. You can usually get these huge web developer bootcamp courses for $10. Honestly, I wouldn't start off with 'full-stack development', as it is extremely time consuming, meaning you're going to have to learn at a minimum: HTML, CSS, and Javascript for the front end and then another language and a database/databases for the back-end.

Start with the front-end, as you'll have to deal with HTML, CSS and Javascript in some capacity regardless of what you're doing on the server.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Codecademy will teach you the basics. It's a decent place to start. Look for coupons on udemy though. You can usually get these huge web developer bootcamp courses for $10. Honestly, I wouldn't start off with 'full-stack development', as it is extremely time consuming, meaning you're going to have to learn at a minimum: HTML, CSS, and Javascript for the front end and then another language and a database/databases for the back-end.

Start with the front-end, as you'll have to deal with HTML, CSS and Javascript in some capacity regardless of what you're doing on the server.

I "know" SQL when it comes to databases, and have done Web design back in undergrad, I`m just trying to brush up since I haven't done that stuff in forever. I`m getting my masters right now so I figured I might as well knock out a Full stack bootcamp (something I can do at my own pace), and also work on some certs before I graduate next yr.

I`m not trying to be a developer per say, but I`m trying to get into becoming a Solution Architect/Engineer in either CRM or Cloud so knowledge of this stuff will help more so than focusing on being a hardcore dev

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I "know" SQL when it comes to databases, and have done Web design back in undergrad, I`m just trying to brush up since I haven't done that stuff in forever. I`m getting my masters right now so I figured I might as well knock out a Full stack bootcamp (something I can do at my own pace), and also work on some certs before I graduate next yr.

I`m not trying to be a developer per say, but I`m trying to get into becoming a Solution Architect/Engineer in either CRM or Cloud so knowledge of this stuff will help more so than focusing on being a hardcore dev

I recommend you start with HTML, CSS and Javascript and then transition into learning the back-end because the front end technologies are something you have to deal with regardless, and you'll have to eventually pick what language and framework you want to work with on the server. The key will be looking at a few companies that you're interested in working for and see what language they do their back-end in and then start learning that.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I recommend you start with HTML, CSS and Javascript and then transition into learning the back-end because the front end technologies are something you have to deal with regardless, and you'll have to eventually pick what language and framework you want to work with on the server. The key will be looking at a few companies that you're interested in working for and see what language they do their back-end in and then start learning that.

Thanks, If I get into Sales Engineering then I`d probably have to create Pre Sales Demos for the sales team, I actually made it to the last interview for a role for a big name company but just didnt have enough hard skills compared to the final batch of comp, even though they provide technical training to learn their proprietary stuff. Any issue with Ruby or Python instead of Java? I hear Python is "easiest".

My goal is to be at least knowledgeable on a full web stack and then learn Swift to get into some iOS dev on the side.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Thanks, If I get into Sales Engineering then I`d probably have to create Pre Sales Demos for the sales team, I actually made it to the last interview for a role for a big name company but just didnt have enough hard skills compared to the final batch of comp, even though they provide technical training to learn their proprietary stuff. Any issue with Ruby or Python instead of Java? I hear Python is "easiest".

My goal is to be at least knowledgeable on a full web stack and then learn Swift to get into some iOS dev on the side.

Python is more for data analysis. There are Django jobs here and there, but they aren't as numerous as some of the other frameworks. Python is also a strong complementary language. Hard to get a pure Python job, but it's a nice thing to list as a side language alongside something like Java.

In terms of productivity, Ruby on Rails is my favorite. If you only want to learn one language for full-stack, go with Javascript, although Node.js isn't easy to learn if you don't have serverside experience. Java is a very solid multipurpose language, and if you're going to be working with big corps, it's something to consider. My advice is to get a solid grasp of the front-end and then start looking up listings for the jobs you want to get and then attempt a server-side language. If ease is your main objective, then Ruby on Rails would probably fit the bill.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
How does sitting at a desk all day affect your guys' health?
You gotta stay active outside of work. I played coed sports, and actually met an IT recruiter like that. But that and the gym keep me in shape. I'm not getting up for a mid day walk, and I'm not buying one of those desks that make you stand up and sit down throughout the day.

Pobyedobyedo

Rookie
Daps
I don't post much but been lurking this thread alot...
Anyone have advice for how an up and come recent grad can break into the field?

I only have a Computer Science associates atm, planning on eventually finishing bachelors. I made a little website cpais.github.io. I think im pretty good with C++/Java/HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript( at the very least good enough to learn/teach myself most anything I don't know using google and youtube).

I'm in the New York area. I'm finishing my bachelors 2018 but..can I make some bread now with the skills I have?

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone here has experience in parsing json files using java?