Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Coding Bootcamp - Campus & Online Coding Programs | Coding Dojo

this is what I'm thinking about attending. I know they say they help with job placement and they also say 92% of students have work within 90 days of graduation.

Is it unusual for junior developers to be part time? I'm looking for a full time career not something I can do part time. They advertise "work" but aren't specific. I'm going to ask more questions when I interview but I don't want to have to get all my info from one source.

Also, they advertise jobs starting between 60,000 and 110,000 for front end and back end developers. The bls supports it with a mean average at $72,000. That salary send step for someone with no experience. Is this the norm?

Thanks for the advice. I'll plug along with my self study in the meantime.

I'm never too big on those 'guarantees'. Who knows how they are getting those statistics? It's a nice resume piece to have on your resume that you went to bootcamp, but if you don't know what you're doing, you'll get exposed in the actual interview with people from the company.

I think it'd be wiser to expect something on that lower end of that salary range if you're coming out of code bootcamp. I simply don't see a company paying a new guy 100gs out the gate unless you are phenomenal and probably have had a ton of programming experience prior to attending that bootcamp. What you want to do is get your foot in the door, even if it is part time or on the lower end, because then you'll get a lot more looks when recruiters can see you have actual work experience.

Ultimately it will come down to your portfolio and if you can give the interviewer the impression that you know what you're talking about. Right now, front-end dev is huge I'm seeing, so make sure you know plain javascript thoroughly and then pick up something like React.js to learn... because you'll probably have to dabble in the front end even if you are doing serverside work.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
No wonder there is a so called 'shortage' of programmers that these industry guys keep complaining about. They can't find "Jr. Developers" with 2 to 5 years experience who know C#, Java, Javascript, Ruby, Angular, React, SQL, HTML, CSS, C, and C++ with several deployed production apps who are willing to accept $55,000.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I just bought a ton of courses on graphical design, typography, etc. off of udemy due to that $10 sale. It's easy to get into the zone where you only want to work on one side of the stack, but if you really want to be marketable, I think you should have skills on both the front-end and the server-side. It's hard for someone, especially if they aren't a programmer themselves, to appreciate what you've created if your sites look like atrocious. One that seems to be a solid course on udemy is here:
Graphic Design Hero: Apply Graphic Design in Projects

Searching for courses on typography is very helpful as well. The coupon to get your discount is 'warmup10'. I think the last day for the sale is tomorrow.

Design Beautiful Websites with Web Typography (2015)

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I just bought a ton of courses on graphical design, typography, etc. off of udemy due to that $10 sale. It's easy to get into the zone where you only want to work on one side of the stack, but if you really want to be marketable, I think you should have skills on both the front-end and the server-side. It's hard for someone, especially if they aren't a programmer themselves, to appreciate what you've created if your sites look like atrocious. One that seems to be a solid course on udemy is here:
Graphic Design Hero: Apply Graphic Design in Projects

Searching for courses on typography is very helpful as well. The coupon to get your discount is 'warmup10'. I think the last day for the sale is tomorrow.

Design Beautiful Websites with Web Typography (2015)
Are the udemy courses quality?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Are the udemy courses quality?
Depends on which ones you get, as just about anyone can upload a course, but there are some absolute quality courses on there. The key is to look at user reviews and check the preview videos out, but there are some absolute gems out there. Let me know of a subject you're looking to learn and I'll try to find something quality for you.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Depends on which ones you get, as just about anyone can upload a course, but there are some absolute quality courses on there. The key is to look at user reviews and check the preview videos out, but there are some absolute gems out there. Let me know of a subject you're looking to learn and I'll try to find something quality for you.
Javascript and responsive web design.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
medium.com/@erikdkennedy/7-rules-for-creating-gorgeous-ui-part-1-559d4e805cda

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I didn't even know this thread existed.... *takes a seat and holds a huge mug of coffee*

Gonna take a look at a few pages

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Some of those guys go by the philosophy that 'your code should be so readable that you don't need comments', but little do they know that what's readable to them may not be to others.
I actually comment my code because even when I come back to my code, I forgot what I was doing. I've suspected I have some form of dyslexia for a while now, lol.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Man there are a ton of front-end jobs. I want a ruby on rails job, but I just may have to hold myself over with a front end job.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Looks like I'll be really improving my css/bootstrap and JS skills in the near future. All of these jobs that are popping up have been front-end jobs. Even though I prefer server-side work, I think it's important to really learn JS thoroughly because of the ability to do things like make native phone apps, etc and to make attractive user interfaces for my site. A ton of the work is moving to the front end anyways with these SPA frameworks. A lot of the server-side is turning into a JSON distribution and storage center of sorts.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Alright brehs, what's the single best github tutorial there is?

I'm talking basic from the ground up all the way to advanced. I want to be a pro here.

Also looking for a quick ajax and postman tutorial.