Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
I remember you started off with Java. What made you switch over into C# and focus on that? I'm trying to decide whether to pick up C# or Java as the second language I focus on. I'm leaning towards C# due to being able to use it in unity for game-dev and the fact that I've played around with Asp.net MVC5. Java seems to have more jobs though.

Thats an understatement ...

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Javascript is object based. Everything in Javascript is an object. So all you need is good OOD.

Java devs (and other haters) will tell you that since Javascript doesn't support inheritance that it's not true OOP. BUT thats why JS has prototypes.

Not sure how much longer people are going to be able to deny the power of Javascript on the client and server side. Unlike Ruby it's here to stay.

Thats actually a mindset from 5 years ago.....

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Brehs i posted in the IT threas but i want to get a windows machine for programming, i found a ASUS with 8gb ram and a AMD A10 processor for 399, is AMD really that bad? I have a MBP and i know i can throw windows on it via boot camp or a virtual machine but kida want to have that stuff on a seperate machine and keep my mac strictly for personal use and when i move from Java/Android development into iOS and Objective C/Swift. I want to do Java first because it is more used and i can apply it in my current company more directly. But i plan on using both for personal business ventures also

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
We have a couple of projects that use Angular....I havent had a chance to get into it...my projects im on are just using Javascript MVC

My problem with angular is that you're pretty much tethered to it for your front-end if you use it and although you use Javascript in your directives, it's such an abstraction that you're learning angular more than just Javascript. The problem with that is how locked-in you are to that google eco-system, as a lot of devs found out once 2.0 was announced and they'll have to rewrite the front-end for their app in a couple of years since 2.0 has no migration path as of yet and isn't backwards compatible.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
My problem with angular is that you're pretty much tethered to it for your front-end if you use it and although you use Javascript in your directives, it's such an abstraction that you're learning angular more than just Javascript. The problem with that is how locked-in you are to that google eco-system, as a lot of devs found out once 2.0 was announced and they'll have to rewrite the front-end for their app in a couple of years since 2.0 has no migration path as of yet and isn't backwards compatible.

Yeah its funny because before I came here I was used to the old school jsp files with minimal Javascript....now I'm doing jquery/javascript all day to manipulate my pages.....

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yeah its funny because before I came here I was used to the old school jsp files with minimal Javascript....now I'm doing jquery/javascript all day to manipulate my pages.....

It's amazing the transformation in perception that Javascript received. It was considered a toy language not too long ago, but now it's everywhere. I find it a very enjoyable language to program in, and I especially enjoy jQuery. It makes manipulating the DOM way more convenient, especially since you don't have to worry about whether some of these older browsers implement something differently.

semtex

:)
Daps
People keep telling me I'm underpaid even for a junior developer ($25 per hr in North Carolina)

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People keep telling me I'm underpaid even for a junior developer ($25 per hr in North Carolina)

Don't ever worry about that (unless of course it is affecting your food, rent or bills). You'll never be obliged to have "proof of current compensation" - so chalk it up to "paying dues" at the current company and if you are dissatisfied start actively interviewing elsewhere now.

I've found the old mentality of "find a job, make it a career and then move up the company's internal hierarchical ladder over the years" - is not the best for technologists. Back when I was a junior-to-mid dev(2010ish?) I was able to double my salary in two years by finding the right new role every year.

Only relevant link I could find talking about the pro's of "job-hopping": http://www.daedtech.com/notes-on-job-hopping-you-should-probably-job-hop

I also believe if you get too comfy at a job, you'll lose the motivation to keep your skills sharpened. The max I'll stay at any one company is 2 years.

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Throwing this out there - did anyone peep Mr. Robot yet? Some convos seemed awkward and forced (gnome/kde) - but it was still refreshing to see somewhat "normal" dev speak on a programming-based show.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Don't ever worry about that (unless of course it is affecting your food, rent or bills). You'll never be obliged to have "proof of current compensation" - so chalk it up to "paying dues" at the current company and if you are dissatisfied start actively interviewing elsewhere now.

I've found the old mentality of "find a job, make it a career and then move up the company's internal hierarchical ladder over the years" - is not the best for technologists. Back when I was a junior-to-mid dev(2010ish?) I was able to double my salary in two years by finding the right new role every year.

Only relevant link I could find talking about the pro's of "job-hopping": http://www.daedtech.com/notes-on-job-hopping-you-should-probably-job-hop

I also believe if you get too comfy at a job, you'll lose the motivation to keep your skills sharpened. The max I'll stay at any one company is 2 years.

Yup once you get your experience you need then start looking at internal openings or outside, but until you have a few yrs experience you gotta chalk it up to the game.