Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
You ever user notepad++?

I tried it, but ultimately ended up using Sublime Text. After that, I moved on to Brackets, and finally, I'm here at Visual Studio Code, which is currently my favorite. It's a bit raw right now, as they don't have the plug-in system in place yet, but I love it for web development. Free too.
https://code.visualstudio.com/

Ralph Wiggum

All Star
Supporter
Daps
What are some good free c++ compilers? I graduated with my A.S. in computer science but I'm VERY rusty so I'm gonna go through my textbook again. I got visual basic express 2013 and it doesnt have the c++ template. Which language is more valuable? C++ or java?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
you can actually get the full fledged visual studio instead of the express version now, and it allows you to do C++

The difference between C++ and java depends ultimately on what you are planning to do. C++ nets you better performance, but Java is faster to develop in and 'safer' since the syntax is a bit easier and you don't have to worry about memory.Which language is more valuable depends on the domain you will enter. Game development requires c++ unless you're doing the indie thing and using Unity, in which cause you can use c#. Java is pretty much prevalent in the enterprise.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been trying to mess around with Node.js the past few days. Progress has been slow, especially since developing with Node involves all kind of "mini-tools" as opposed to giving you a big framework to work with using Ruby on Rails. There is Express obviously, but that is a 'lightweight framework'. I'm going to test out Ruby on Rails and see how I like it in comparison. I'll come back and develop node.js projects after developing with rails since it'll be easier to actually understand what is going on in back-end development.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been rotating between essentially 3 languages: Typescript/Javascript (I'm bundling these together as 1), Ruby and C#. I think I'll stick with these 3 for a while.

C# is basically there for my personal enjoyment and to maybe make a unity game down the line. It also allows me to write better Typescript since Typescript deals with types and all the such as well.

Typescript/Javascript will be for my front-end work.

I'm really enjoying Typescript. It is pretty much a superset of ES6, along with a few added features like type-checking. It makes my code feel much more structured and it is a lot easier to understand what functions do when you have types attached to them. I also am very glad that ES6 added classes, even though it is built over the prototypal system. No longer do you have to use the function keyword as your 'class', although it still transpiles down to that. Code is much cleaner than the normal weird way in Javascript(ES5 and below).

I've decided to learn Ruby as well and will be using Ruby on Rails for my back-end work. I decided to go ahead and spend time learning Ruby simply because I don't want to get shut out of one of the big frontiers on web development and I've actually been more productive in a few hours of Ruby on Rails than weeks on Node.js. Once I get the hang of working on the server-side with Ruby, then I'll return to Node.js. I find Node.js makes me focus on too much of the trees as opposed to seeing the forest since it is so low-level.

Now that I've whittled down to my core technologies, I should be a lot more productive. In terms of productivity, if you are doing web development, take the time to learn grunt or another task runner. It is EXTREMELY helpful. A task runner essentially allows you to automate a ton of tasks. Using grunt with a few plug-ins allows the computer to automatically compile typescript files to js, sass or less files to css and to automatically update the view in the browser whenever you update one of your files. Bower is another pretty cool package. It's pretty much like npm or bundle in the ruby community, except for the front-end. It lets you go to the command line and install front-end packages just by typing a command. It beats going to the jQuery website, downloading that, the Bootstrap website, downloading that, etc.

Sometimes it feels like I'm in an echo chamber in here. What are you guys doing on the programming front?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
What are some good free c++ compilers? I graduated with my A.S. in computer science but I'm VERY rusty so I'm gonna go through my textbook again. I got visual basic express 2013 and it doesnt have the c++ template. Which language is more valuable? C++ or java?

Really don't get much better than this - 2014-Nov 12 Release Notes | Visual Studio

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been learning Ruby and getting it under hand. It's a pretty interesting language. I didn't like it at first because it looked a lot different than the C-styled languages, but it actually produces very clean looking code.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I've been learning Ruby and getting it under hand. It's a pretty interesting language. I didn't like it at first because it looked a lot different than the C-styled languages, but it actually produces very clean looking code.
how many hrs a day to you dedicate to teaching yourself

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
how many hrs a day to you dedicate to teaching yourself

I usually study for several hours a day. There's just a ton of subjects to explore and I thoroughly enjoy it, so it's no big deal for me to study that long.

I would say if you're not going to be a programmer, but want to keep your programming skills up, learn a language that is commonly used for task-automation like Python just so you can stay doing programming and actually engage in something that will help your actual work.

DailyBread

Rookie
Daps
Anyone here does any Machine Learning? Trying to figure out the best way to jump in. Usually don't program outside of work (AngularJS/Java mostly) but it seems Machine Learning is the future.

///Vega+++

All Star
Daps
any of y'all ever stumbled upon this: https://facebook.interviewstreet.com/recruit/challenges/ ?
I tried their sample test
a problem based on the Hanoi towers. it was interesting

There are K pegs. Each peg can hold discs in decreasing order of radius when looked from bottom to top of the peg. There are N discs which have radius 1 to N; Given the initial configuration of the pegs and the final configuration of the pegs, output the moves required to transform from the initial to final configuration. You are required to do the transformations in minimal number of moves.

A move consists of picking the topmost disc of any one of the pegs and placing it on top of anyother peg. At anypoint of time, the decreasing radius property of all the pegs must be maintained.

Constraints:
1<= N<=8
3<= K<=5

Input Format:
N K
2nd line contains N integers. Each integer in the second line is in the range 1 to K where the i-th integer denotes the peg to which disc of radius i is present in the initial configuration. 3rd line denotes the final configuration in a format similar to the initial configuration.

Output Format:
The first line contains M - The minimal number of moves required to complete the transformation. The following M lines describe a move, by a peg number to pick from and a peg number to place on. If there are more than one solutions, it's sufficient to output any one of them. You can assume, there is always a solution with less than 7 moves and the initial confirguration will not be same as the final one.

Sample Input #00:
2 3
1 1
2 2
Sample Output #00:
1 3
1 2
3 2

Sample Input #01:
6 4
4 2 4 3 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1
Sample Output #01:
3 1
4 3
4 1
2 1
3 1

NOTE: You need to write the full code taking all inputs are from stdin and outputs to stdout If you are using "Java", the classname is "Solution"

anyone else wanna give it a try since it seems like there are quite a few programmers on here

bump

I think we should start some programming contests up in here