Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

semtex

:)
Daps
Don't ever worry about that (unless of course it is affecting your food, rent or bills). You'll never be obliged to have "proof of current compensation" - so chalk it up to "paying dues" at the current company and if you are dissatisfied start actively interviewing elsewhere now.

I've found the old mentality of "find a job, make it a career and then move up the company's internal hierarchical ladder over the years" - is not the best for technologists. Back when I was a junior-to-mid dev(2010ish?) I was able to double my salary in two years by finding the right new role every year.

Only relevant link I could find talking about the pro's of "job-hopping": http://www.daedtech.com/notes-on-job-hopping-you-should-probably-job-hop

I also believe if you get too comfy at a job, you'll lose the motivation to keep your skills sharpened. The max I'll stay at any one company is 2 years.
Yeah that's what I've been told by my coworkers

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Sidebar/offtopic:
No one take offense - but I pre-judge any devs who primarily program for MS (or any proprietary lang/platform) technologies, because that fact alone reveals so much about what your company's culture and your programming mindset. (I only ask if that dev works at an education, government or financial institution)

I just don't understand how people go to college for 4 years to listen to some asshat talk about CSI, followed by even more efforts to obtain erroneous certificates and training - to only end up sitting at a 9-5 having to wear khaki's and dress shoes.

---

I do like that they forked Atom and made sure the new Visual Studio was available for Linux - it shows a good shift in MS's company culture.

:what: this the silliest shyt I've heard all day

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what: this the silliest shyt I've heard all day

I see it as no different than pre-judging someone based on their political or religious affiliations. Now not every MS dev is a 40+ y.o that only sports button-ups, khakis and is a certificate collector - but it's what I assume until I get proved differently by edge-case people. Little details like that reveal a much wider-fact about how you approach development and the type of company you work at.

Our jobs encompass a lot of pattern recognition - and those are the properties I usually see from career Enterprise devs.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I see it as no different than pre-judging someone based on their political or religious affiliations. Now not every MS dev is a 40+ y.o that only sports button-ups, khakis and is a certificate collector - but it's what I assume until I get proved differently by edge-case people. Little details like that reveal a much wider-fact about how you approach development and the type of company you work at.

Our jobs encompass a lot of pattern recognition - and those are the properties I usually see from career Enterprise devs.

I work for the largest fortune company in Atlanta. You have .Net developers, you got Java developers, and you got people that do both. All these mufukkas look the same to me :yeshrug:

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I work for the largest fortune company in Atlanta. You have .Net developers, you got Java developers, and you got people that do both. All these mufukkas look the same to me :yeshrug:

Agreed. That's why I changed the language in the last response from "MS dev" to "enterprise devs" by the end of it. Language shapes our reality.

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Brehs im getting into web development and have the opportunity to take some professional classes coming up in the fall. I can go to General Assembly, or take a continuing education course at emery or georgia tech (cost is pretty much the same). Thoughts on what the best move would be in my situation

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Brehs im getting into web development and have the opportunity to take some professional classes coming up in the fall. I can go to General Assembly, or take a continuing education course at emery or georgia tech (cost is pretty much the same). Thoughts on what the best move would be in situation

I`d rock with Tech or Emory just to put it on the resume
:francis:

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs im getting into web development and have the opportunity to take some professional classes coming up in the fall. I can go to General Assembly, or take a continuing education course at emery or georgia tech (cost is pretty much the same). Thoughts on what the best move would be in my situation

I got solicited recently with a job offer to teach the class "Web Development Immersive" and while the opportunity to give new devs insight that they typically wouldn't get sparked my interest - I ultimately declined because I wouldn't be able to have a good conscience knowing my class would cost over 12k.

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
I got solicited recently with a job offer to teach the class "Web Development Immersive" and while the opportunity to give new devs insight that they typically wouldn't get sparked my interest - I ultimately declined because I wouldn't be able to have a good conscience knowing my class would cost over 12k.
I feel you, the classes i listed are all around $3500... And i may be able to have my job pay for it

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I believe you should learn CSS, Javascript, and etc. by hand, but once you get them, feel free to use libraries. I actually love using jQuery and Bootstrap. They save so much time without worrying if x method works with y browser. I prefer spending more time on the programming side of things as opposed to wrangling with CSS, so Bootstrap has been a blessing.

In terms of text-editors, I love Brackets, and Microsoft's Visual Studio Code is very nice as well, although a bit raw due to no plug-ins as of yet. However, it has a lot of the stuff you'd get plug-ins for built-in such as linting and Emmett. Both also have the multiple-cursor feature which is cool. VSC has intellisense, which is a big bonus for it, while Brackets has real-time updates, as in you save changes to your file and they are pushed to the browser page automatically, so you don't have to update.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm checking out Typescript and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It is a 'superset' of ES6, which introduces a class syntax. Typescript also introduces things like interfaces, access modifiers, etc. and transpiles to plain JS.

Having a class syntax makes things much more saner when it comes to working with JS as opposed to that strange prototype system. Also being able to specify types makes it 20 times easier to understand what a function is doing.

keepemup

Banned
Daps
I believe you should learn CSS, Javascript, and etc. by hand, but once you get them, feel free to use libraries. I actually love using jQuery and Bootstrap. They save so much time without worrying if x method works with y browser. I prefer spending more time on the programming side of things as opposed to wrangling with CSS, so Bootstrap has been a blessing.

In terms of text-editors, I love Brackets, and Microsoft's Visual Studio Code is very nice as well, although a bit raw due to no plug-ins as of yet. However, it has a lot of the stuff you'd get plug-ins for built-in such as linting and Emmett. Both also have the multiple-cursor feature which is cool. VSC has intellisense, which is a big bonus for it, while Brackets has real-time updates, as in you save changes to your file and they are pushed to the browser page automatically, so you don't have to update.

You ever user notepad++?